Open Trailer

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Open Trailer
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Douglas Dachenbach on Sunday, September 11, 2016 - 07:26 pm:

Back a few years ago when I was on a tour, a guy had an open trailer made out of two channels constructed of angle iron. The angle iron formed a channel wide enough for the tire of a T to fit in. It was just for a T and had no floor. You just started it into the channels and then the tires followed.
Has anyone ever seen one and/or have pictures or plans? Are they commercially available?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Sunday, September 11, 2016 - 07:31 pm:

That sounds like a modified two space motorcycle trailer.

Used to have one when I road dirt bikes.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Sunday, September 11, 2016 - 07:34 pm:

A member of our club has one. I think his father built it. Has an axle from a boat trailer. I used it once and you never knew it was behind you. Don't know when I would see it again or when I would be able to get pictures.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, September 11, 2016 - 07:37 pm:

Contact Joe Bell from Tiffin. If I'm not mistaken, his is like that, or at least very similar. Hauls his T on it with no trouble that I know of.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Sunday, September 11, 2016 - 07:38 pm:

A Horseless Carriage guy now long gone named Barney Radamacher used to make trailers out of six inch half pipe. He welded up a frame and made pipe ramps for on and off travel. No springs and so the antique car provided the springing. As the loaded trailers were towed down the road the antique car was steady and the trailer did the bouncing. Sorry no picture that was in 1950, probably unlawful today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Sunday, September 11, 2016 - 07:57 pm:

Why not use a tandem axle flatbed with brakes on at least one axle? If something comes loose and falls off you stand a good chance of retrieving it. Of you have a flat on one wheel it's not catastrophic and if you have a panic stop trailer brakes really help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By D. R. Currier on Sunday, September 11, 2016 - 08:04 pm:

Like this one?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary kmiecik on Sunday, September 11, 2016 - 08:11 pm:

I have one made out of a house trailer has e-brakes tires fit right inside rails works great. I now have a enclosed and don't use it .For sale $800 gkmiecik@new.rr.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Sunday, September 11, 2016 - 08:29 pm:

I have one ,but I added sides to use it as a utility trailer.You're welcome to come take pictures/measurements.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Douglas Dachenbach on Sunday, September 11, 2016 - 10:00 pm:

D.R. that is similar to what I remember. How is the T loaded? Are there plans for it? Gary sent some photos of what he has.

Jack I'll send a note and since my wife is from Richmond, we might make a trip over sometime to take a look.

Thank you all for the help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Sunday, September 11, 2016 - 10:08 pm:

If that is the only job you need it for that is a good way to reduce the weight of the outfit for easier towing for sure.

If you have a welder,and a level place to work,you can get materials to build that simple design yourself.
If the trailer is 12 feet long,just put the axle center 12 inches toward the rear of the trailer frame to get the weight distribution correct.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Sunday, September 11, 2016 - 10:16 pm:

if you've seen any old race car trailers, they were often made from ww2 air strip landing pads (not sure thats the correct term). they were about 10 inches wide, 10 feet long, made of 1/8" steel formed for strength, and full of holes for lightness. weld them to an old car axle,weld on a hitch, and your about done

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kent sumner on Monday, September 12, 2016 - 01:54 pm:

heres the one dave used it has dual boat axels just long enough for tt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, September 12, 2016 - 02:05 pm:

Douglas,

You've basically described my trailer. Sorry, no pics right now. Lightweight and pull great.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration