Starts for a few seconds then shuts off

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Starts for a few seconds then shuts off
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Blanchard on Monday, September 12, 2016 - 07:26 pm:

Okay, she was running fine then today I tried to start her. She would run a few seconds then shut off. (I have a starter so makes life easier). I then turn it over with choke a few times, switch to battery turn over and she starts then promptly shuts off.
I even got a free start on of the times so I know wiring is fine and so is timing.
I figure it is a fuel issue but even when flooded she will only run a few seconds, I would think she would run a bit longer than a few seconds. (2 seconds max)
I think I might have a blockage somewhere.
What is the best way to test/clear the carb for a blockage? Where is the place most likely to get a block.
Thanks in advance

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tt newbee on Monday, September 12, 2016 - 07:38 pm:

You might disconnect the fuel line from the carb. If plenty of fuel flows though the line then the tank, sediment bowl, and fuel line are probably Ok and the problem is probably in the carb.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, September 12, 2016 - 09:45 pm:

Some common problems: sticking float valve; bit of trash (like a piece of fuel line nut packing) blocking fuel flow; low gas in the tank.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Monday, September 12, 2016 - 09:51 pm:

When you open the petcock at the base of the carb, some gas will come out but make sure it continues after the initial flow.
Don't ask how I discovered this one.......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Monday, September 12, 2016 - 09:54 pm:

Loose/corroded electrical connection. Switch, wiring block,connection down on starter switch etc. Vibration sets it off. My guess.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Monday, September 12, 2016 - 09:58 pm:

What does it do on Mag, assuming it will start on Mag? Switch it over real quickly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Monday, September 12, 2016 - 10:04 pm:

How much gas is in the tank! If it is really low it will start but not run.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Monday, September 12, 2016 - 10:25 pm:

Robert does it stop suddenly like you turned off a switch or does it pop and fart? When you say it will not run when flooded certainly indicates an electrical issue. Assuming you have stock ignition, get a coil buzzing and rock the car around.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Blanchard on Tuesday, September 13, 2016 - 12:26 pm:

Jim it just stops... and so has the rain so out I go to check the carb :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Tuesday, September 13, 2016 - 12:32 pm:

Richen the mixture 1/2 turn and see if it helps. Lean it back out after it runs for a minute.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration