Any ideas as to what year this frame is?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Any ideas as to what year this frame is?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason midyette on Monday, September 12, 2016 - 10:44 pm:

Ended up with this Model T chassis /farm wagon at an auction a few weeks back.

Out of curiosity, I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts as to what year or range of years it might be from.

Details that I noticed that might be of help;
- Had a rusted through 3 dip oil pan
- Brake lever quadrant has 4 rivets (kind of shows in my fuzzy picture)
- Has "PB" in a circle stamped on the top right of the rear frame cross member.

some photos;

The chassis

Brake Lever quadrant

front end close up.

more photos to follow.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Monday, September 12, 2016 - 10:46 pm:

Parish and Bingham for the logo.
Pre- 21 for the frame.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason midyette on Monday, September 12, 2016 - 10:49 pm:

a couple more photos..

The rear end. Between the broken leaf spring and rusted out oil pan, it did not stay attached for very long.

Rear of the frame

Stamp on rear crossmember

The wagon had sat where it was when I got it long enough for the spokes to rot completely away. Found all four felloes and rims (demountable) near the remains.

Jason Midyette

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, September 12, 2016 - 11:10 pm:

The front spring clip is 1920 or earlier.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, September 12, 2016 - 11:25 pm:

I agree with Herb. The three holes in a triangle aft of the handbrake quadrant indicate that it had forged running board supports. These finished in 1921 on our Canadian sourced cars.
We need more photos of the side rails to be more specific. Are there battery carrier holes?

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Monday, September 12, 2016 - 11:43 pm:

Is there a driveshaft in the housing? Most of the wagons that followed me home were drive-shaftless. They made a dandy prybar.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Matthiesen on Tuesday, September 13, 2016 - 01:56 am:

Your frame is most likely from mid 1921. I have a frame about the same vintage for my 1921, also a P&B frame. Note that in the picture that shows the 4 hole hand brake quadrant, not only can you see the 3 holes for the forged running board bracket, but also a hole in the top of the frame for the brace for the channel steel type running board bracket. There should be a hole in the bottom of the frame directly under the top hole that we can't see in the picture. The frames came from P&B ready to take either type bracket depending on Ford's supply at assembly plant in mid to late 1921. More frames could be shipped in a RR boxcar from P&B that way. The holes for the forged running board brackets continued into early 1922 even though they weren't needed any more.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, September 13, 2016 - 08:22 am:

I just had another look at the photos and the holes for the battery carrier are evident, so that makes the frame 1919 or later, up to 1921.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, September 13, 2016 - 09:48 am:

Somewhere between late 19 to early 22. Use to see T farm wagons and trailers here in central Texas pretty often. They were at most farm auctions in the 50's thru 80's my father and I went to.

I bought 3 T trailer remains and a 38 Ford pretty complete flat bed pickup for 35.00 in the early seventies at a farm auction.

I didn't have a way to haul it all out so I gave the 38 Ford PU to a friend for hauling the T frames home to me. Looking back now I know he got the better deal!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Trent Boggess on Tuesday, September 13, 2016 - 10:34 am:

The trademark P&B stands for Parish and Bingham, a Cleveland, Ohio company that produced frames for Ford beginning with the 1906 Model N and continuing through Model T production.

Respectfully Submitted,

Trent Boggess

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, September 13, 2016 - 01:12 pm:

A friend of mine recently acquired a T rear axle that the driveshaft end had been in a pond or a bucket. The outside is a mass of rust. He cut the end off and pulled out the driveshaft pin and the shaft looks like new--everything in the rear end still looks like new!! The enclosed DS bearing end was held on by bolts, not studs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason midyette on Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 10:54 pm:

Thank you everyone. Looks like it is a 1919-21, most likely 1921 frame. Always interesting to learn what the trained eye can discern from a few photos!

Drive shaft is long gone from the rear end. The rear axles do not want to rotate at the moment either.

Jason Midyette

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration