Looking for a few quotes ...

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Looking for a few quotes ...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Yaeger on Tuesday, September 13, 2016 - 05:01 am:

We are working on a foundation grant application and would like to include some quotes from folks who are passionate about the Model T hobby and history.

Would you take a minute to write a few sentences why you are dedicated to the hobby, why you like the Forum and the MTFCA. If you've been to the Museum, to an event in Richmond and like to come back, a comment about your experience would be helpful too.

Does your Model T keep you young?! Thanks to any who would take a minute or two to do this so we can include our members' personal comments and demonstrate the impact Model Ts can have.

Thank you!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, September 13, 2016 - 07:20 am:

There is nothing more rewarding than a large group of people with the same passion, it outweighs any other differences. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Tuesday, September 13, 2016 - 07:26 am:

Hands on history for both young and old alike the Model T bridges any generational gap with the turn of a crank.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Tuesday, September 13, 2016 - 08:48 am:

In American history there are two iconic images - one is the log cabin, the other is the Model T Ford.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Yaeger on Tuesday, September 13, 2016 - 09:11 am:

These are great! Thanks so much. More are welcome. Please add your quotes. Feel free to email me if you prefer at: susan@mtfca.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Tuesday, September 13, 2016 - 10:13 am:

The Model T Ford is a wonderful time machine.

One of my favorite quotes about Henry Ford was supposed to have come from Will Rogers; "It will probably be a hundred years before we know if Henry Ford helped us or hurt us, but he sure didn't leave us where he found us."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brooks Schlieben on Tuesday, September 13, 2016 - 10:50 am:

In retrospect, I wish I had purchased my first T from a MTFCA member. These folks are into it for the love of the car, the history and to pay it forward for others. Few organizations do that. In my short time as a member, I have purchased, sold and been provided expert advice by folks who will always dwarf my very terminable and finite knowledge of this amazing automobile.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, September 13, 2016 - 11:15 am:

I am not the org owner!!!! Old but not that old Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, September 13, 2016 - 11:48 am:

The Model T is what I do, all the time. It starts with my coffee each morning with the forum and classified ads, and then rolls over into ebay. I have been in this hobby all of my adult life, and is the reason I exist. I even had to start a Model T parts business, because of all the crap that the vendors were selling.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Tuesday, September 13, 2016 - 12:04 pm:

My first encounter with a Model T was in 1987. I saw an ad in the paper "Model T for sale". I went and looked at it. "TRUE BASKET CASE" I bought it and now I have two! Fun to drive, challenging to work on but still fun! For anyone who like history get one and have fun and go out and drive it.
Have part's on the wall and shelf.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Tuesday, September 13, 2016 - 12:17 pm:

Like they say,"if it hurts you to laugh,don't buy one!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Tuesday, September 13, 2016 - 12:27 pm:

While driving down the steeet, the Model T always, and I mean always brings either a look of awe or a smile to everyone who sees it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Schrage on Tuesday, September 13, 2016 - 12:31 pm:

Saw this at the OCF this past weekend. "My wife said she would leave me if I bought another Model T. Sometimes I miss her"! Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cliff Colee on Tuesday, September 13, 2016 - 12:58 pm:

My Model T is already far older than I; it will go forward, with a new caretaker, long after I'm gone.

Yeah, yeah, it's a morbid thought - but true....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, September 13, 2016 - 12:58 pm:

I have been playing with Model T's since 1964. They constantly are teaching me things. I meet so many wonderful people when I drive them, tour with them or talk about them on the internet. They just seem to make people happy.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, September 13, 2016 - 01:24 pm:

My favorite Model T quote (or saying) is, "Drive your Model T as though it has no brakes at all. This way you will never be disappointed.."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Tuesday, September 13, 2016 - 01:37 pm:

Just a passing fad. It'll never replace the horse.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Vaughn - Lincoln, NE on Tuesday, September 13, 2016 - 01:40 pm:

When driving a Model T you are always in a parade waving and smiling!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, September 13, 2016 - 01:45 pm:

I have two favorites,.....the first is a quote from Ralph Ricks (R.I.P.) unless he heard it from someone else:

"Every time I drive my Model T, it's a parade, and every time I park it, it's a car show!"

Not sure this second one is a "quote", but I like to say that my Model T(s) make friends everywhere I drive them.

Oh heck, there's one more that I like to say, and that is that owning and preserving a Model T is like owning and preserving a piece of American History!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Yaeger on Tuesday, September 13, 2016 - 02:30 pm:

These are so much fun! I want to use them all!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Tuesday, September 13, 2016 - 02:41 pm:

It started out with an interest in Model T's and what makes them tick. Then it expanded into the history of Henry Ford and the Model T. Then I discovered the Model T Ford Club of America and joined. Then we went on MTFCA Tours and met people with similar interests and Model T's, of course. Then we helped start a local MTFCA Club Chapter. All this has increased since the purchase of that first Model T in May, 1964. Now we have 4 Model T's, and it just gets better all the time. It's hard to say what's better: The Model T's or the people we meet and have fun with. It's hard to say, but the people are wonderful!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, September 13, 2016 - 03:51 pm:

You need at least 3 Model T's. One to drive, one to work on, and one for spare parts.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Tuesday, September 13, 2016 - 04:25 pm:

Many years ago, Stan Howe posted on this forum a piece entitled "Stewardship." I asked him and he granted me permission to use it in our club newsletter. I printed it several times when I was editor:

“On a serious note, we are all just stewards of these cars. Somebody owned them before we did, somebody will own them after we are gone. The money that we pay for them or the money that we take for them is just a way to determine who will steward what car and for how long. It is our obligation to steward not only the physical Model T, but also the knowledge, the folklore, and the spirit of the cars to pass to the next generation of owners. We need to be telling the stories as well as the knowledge of how to set the spark and adjust the gas.”

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Barker, Somerset, England on Tuesday, September 13, 2016 - 04:47 pm:

The 100-year-old car you can still use

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chester Leighton on Tuesday, September 13, 2016 - 04:57 pm:

I'm 51 and still working in a paper mill. I'm what's left of the middle class. I love antique cars between 1890 and 1940 (anything newer is a "modern" car to me) but can't afford to drop 15-25K on a restored antique automobile. Most of the other makes and models of antique cars in that time period require some machine shop work and parts recreation due to unavailability of parts and that's not cheap either. There are a lot of salvageable original parts and even more after market parts available for a model T which make it the perfect entry level antique car for my budget. It allows me to do almost all the work myself and things I can't do such as a short block rebuild are pricey but still affordable. I love the uniqueness of the drive train. You don't just hop in one and take off unless you have some instruction or have enough room to teach yourself by trial and error. The model T is also a very approachable car to the general public. Almost everyone feels comfortable coming up to it at the gas station or grocery store and asking questions about it or has a story to tell about a relative who used to own one. I enjoy showing them the car and will take time to talk to them about the restoration no matter where I am. It's a great ambassador to the antique car hobby. I get photographed quite frequently, even when going down the road. Even college age folks like it and show interest in it. I'm not the only one on this forum who has gotten a "thumbs up" from passing bikers. As the vice president of my local AACA chapter, it serves well as a conversation starter to attract new members. It requires frequent routine maintenance which keeps me out if trouble but not so much that it becomes drudgery. No matter what body style T you have, it has a great deal of curb appeal, but pick ups seem to have a little more appeal, which is what I have. It's what I drive when I'm not working and I use it to haul scrap iron to the recycle, get groceries and other utilitarian tasks. I even managed to get a speeding ticket in it two years ago. I love to listen to the chortle of the exhaust as it idles. I guess the model T is to the antique car hobby as the Maytag engine is to the antique engine hobby. You either love them or hate them but you can't deny their place in history or the hobby.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, September 13, 2016 - 05:18 pm:

This isn't really a "quote", but when folks sort of look at me kinda' oddly when I call one of my "T's a "depot hack", I like to explain that term to them:

The term "hack" is from horse & buggy days, and the fact that Henry Ford never built a Model T "depot hack", but as a hotel or resort owner, you bought a chassis, took it to a coach maker and had him install the seats, the wooden sides, roof and tailgate. Then you explain that depot hacks were so popular and useable that when the Model A Ford came out in 1928, Henry Ford decided that Ford would build a depot hack, but they decided to call it a "Station Wagon"!

People of all ages are astonished that they've been using the common term,...."station wagon" all their lives, and never realized that the word "STATION" in station wagon meant "train station", like the word "DEPOT" in depot hack meant railroad depot!

Just one more way that owning our old Fords is like owning a little piece of American History! FWIW,......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, September 13, 2016 - 06:21 pm:

Mine.
"The greatest single generational leap, both socially, and technologically, in all of human history, was the thirty years from the mid to late 1890s until the mid 1920s. No other hundred years in all of human history has come close to that mount of change in HOW MOST people of the world lived their lives. Whereas a hundred years of scientific development was needed to make that leap possible, prior to the 1890s, nearly all light at night was by fire. Whether the fire was wood, gas, or oil, it was fire. Entertainment was live, whether family at home or performers on the stage, actors travelling or locally based, it was live. And only when it or time was available. Most people lived, and worked, on farms, or in local small businesses. Most people, in most years, lived their entire lives within a thirty mile radius. Other than ships and trains, high speed travel was by horse, and twenty miles in a single day was lot.
By 1925, much of the light at night was by electricity, at the flip of a switch. Radio was world-wide. Phonographs and records were everywhere (and even television had been demonstrated). Many people worked in factories, major companies, and many even commuted from the new suburbs. While many in the world still did live their entire lives in a small area, many (MANY) millions throughout the world had their own automobiles. Most of the people in the world had seen them, and most had even ridden in them. Most people traveled more in a single day than most had in their entire lives only thirty years before.
The automobile, was BOTH a cause, and a result of all that change. Its development drove more other changes than any other change did.
As such, the automobile is the ultimate icon of that era. And the model T, is the ultimate icon, of the automobile."
Wayne Sheldon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Weir Atascadero on Tuesday, September 13, 2016 - 06:33 pm:

I'm the first registered owner of my Ford Truck. The thing I like most about it is "It's a Chick Magnet."

Jim Weir

Central Coast California.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Tuesday, September 13, 2016 - 07:09 pm:

When I drive my Model T it's like I reach all the way back in time to the same controls Grandpa used to maneuver the old machine down the road. Time slows down and I imagine the old man sitting behind the wheel and watching the years of his life go by. It's a connection I hope my Grandson will feel someday.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson on Tuesday, September 13, 2016 - 07:23 pm:

The Model T is not the reason, it is the excuse we use to meet People.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Tuesday, September 13, 2016 - 07:27 pm:

Because of the MTCFA discussion forum, the computer has become the Model T's best friend.

With the computer, what used to take us weeks to find information, sending mail back and forth, can now be found within minutes at our fingertips.

Events such as the Centennial, swap meets and National Tours help us to connect and meet face to face with cyber friends from across the country and around the world.

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Trent Boggess on Tuesday, September 13, 2016 - 09:53 pm:

In a response to a letter from William Metzger during the 1921 banking squeeze, Henry Ford said "We are having lots of fun". I think that pretty much summarizes why I enjoy restoring, researching and writing articles about the Model T.

Respectfully Submitted,

Trent Boggess

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 04:04 am:

My 1995 Saturn I drive in order to get from point A to point B. My model T's I go from point A to point B in order to drive them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer --- Klaaswaal NL on Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 05:24 am:

A Model T don't leak oil, He just mark his Territory.
Toon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 06:44 am:

When a Model T doesn't drip oil, it's out of oil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 06:45 am:

Gotta oil the brakes !!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David L Corman on Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 07:07 am:

Car of the Century

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timothy Miller on Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 08:24 am:

We got started in this hobby a few years ago when I inherited a 25 Touring from my uncle. My son (14) is really interested in T's, and it has been our father-son project. This car was pretty much a basket case, but we were able to get the engine started on that one. Then we started looking for body parts. I met Dan Hatch at the MAPWSM in Luray, and eventually ended up buying another T from him. It was meant to be parts car, since the engine was seized. Since two T's are better than one we decided to get that one running and will probably turn the inherited one into a depot hack. This website has been a tremendous help in our restoration process, a wealth of information right at your fingertips. I think the thing I like most about this hobby, is that my son would rather be in the shop working on T than watching TV or playing video games.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 09:16 am:

Like Stan Howe, I regard myself as a custodian of history with an obligation to preserve my Model T and ensure it is passed or sold to someone who will likewise cherish it as well. In the mean time, I will enjoy driving mine, as well as using it as a great educational window into the past to show off, give rides, use in events, and take to school functions for students to marvel and learn about.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gustaf in Idaho on Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 10:52 am:

I got a T as an extension of my WW1 collection, but the best part was becoming a member of a community that is willing to help and mentor someone who is starting out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Yaeger on Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 11:02 am:

Wow! You all have surpassed my expectations. Thank you so much to everyone for taking time to share these fun, thoughtful, and inspirational quotes. You have each captured the spirit of the Model T hobby in a unique way and for that I am most appreciative.

I was thinking last night how could I just pick a few to share in this grant application. I can't, so I am just going to send them all! It will be a real window into everything the Model T represents.

Thank you so much! I will keep you posted on whether we receive this grant. You all have helped in the process.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 02:03 pm:

Model T's are like potato chips. You can't have just one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 03:00 pm:

Model Ts are good at math - they multiply!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer --- Klaaswaal NL on Thursday, September 15, 2016 - 06:20 am:

Don't store two Model T's in one garage, In No Time you have Three .
Toon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Thursday, September 15, 2016 - 09:52 am:

A Model T is not an particularly an efficient means of transportation.
You don't drive a Model T to make good time. You drive a Model T to have a good time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, September 15, 2016 - 07:44 pm:

A while back I took an old friend for a ride in my Model T. After about a half hour of watching me work the pedals and other controls with both hands and feet, while waving at all the onlookers, he said, "Having a Model T is like wearing a bow tie. It takes a certain type of guy to pull it off." :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration