"Good Night Sleeper"

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: "Good Night Sleeper"
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim on Tuesday, September 13, 2016 - 01:09 pm:

Recovered and remastered (is that the word?) an article that I wrote in 2008. A gentleman brought in a touring car with the intention of resurrecting it from the grave. A little research about the odd plates keeping the front seat in one piece led to this article. When I retired the website went down and the data was lost - until about a week ago when I decided to start a new web page to educate and entertain people. Surprise - the old data was still on the server that hosts me. Had to do a bit of editing and piecing together but here it is again. The rest of my data is being sifted through and stitched back together as well. It will take time but I'm happy the information was not lost!

http://tfoye.com/Gen3/Campcar.htm

Good Night Sleeper

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tt newbee on Tuesday, September 13, 2016 - 01:37 pm:

A light, an alarm clock, a soft mattress, and Toasted Corn Flakes with milk for breakfast. Life is GOOD! But, a coffee pot would add to it...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Blanchard on Tuesday, September 13, 2016 - 06:52 pm:

Hello Tim! Long time. I finally bought a 1920 (that I am having carb issues with last 2 days) but never made it to Peking Paris although an Australian gent did make it in his 14. The rules have changed since and now your car needs to hold 55... so out goes the T (well most T's)
Still want to do this conversion though... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Tuesday, September 13, 2016 - 09:37 pm:

Steve Jelf needs one of these in his touring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timothy Miller on Tuesday, September 13, 2016 - 09:46 pm:

The is car in the classifieds that has this conversion: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/3487/674749.html?1473769305

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Tuesday, September 13, 2016 - 10:57 pm:

Hi Tim, we have a 1913 touring that has this conversion. Ours has a brass latch on each side to keep the front seat back in place. Also, a local friend has a 1915 touring with a similar set up. His takes a square pin to open/latch the seat back. The lock or latch on his car is hidden inside and can not be seen except for the square hole in the internal latch.
Ours would require a block or support on the rear floor so the seat back would stay level with the back seat cushion. There are only two small hinges located on the seat bottom to support the front seat back. Our 13 is an original car and the sleeper looks like it was installed early in its life. I have never used the sleeper to sleep on......and I don't intend to.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim on Thursday, September 15, 2016 - 03:01 pm:

Can't imagine it would be very comfortable for a tall person...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Thursday, September 15, 2016 - 05:29 pm:

Nothing about a Modelt1912@msn.com is comfortable for a tall person.🤔

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Thursday, September 15, 2016 - 05:43 pm:

These bed conversions are fun to look at, but I can't help wondering how they fared over the long haul ? Seems to me the body side panels would eventually bulge outward "amidships". The front seat metal and framing is pretty much what keeps a touring "tub" together.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Thursday, September 15, 2016 - 09:06 pm:

Rich,
I was surprised how strong the body side panels are on our 13 touring with the Sleeper Conversion.

Plan on attending the 39th annual Texas T-Party tour....if you are there, have a look. I bought our 13 with this modification.....would not install a kit today just to have something unusual. It is not comfortable to try sleeping on....however, may be better than sleeping on the ground with snakes and critters if you have a choice.

Would not let my Daughter go on a date with a "Dude" driving a model T with a Sleeper.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, September 15, 2016 - 09:14 pm:

I thought so too, George. Then I got to thinking about cutting up my front seat tub and decided there's probably a better way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Thursday, September 15, 2016 - 09:56 pm:

In my opinion, it's a great way to butcher a Ford and lower its value. Most conversions I've seen are pretty crude.

If you want a car that came from the factory with a sleeper, get a Pan, manufactured in St. Cloud, MN.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sullivan on Thursday, September 15, 2016 - 10:22 pm:

If'n I was to camp in Texas! I'd want to have one of those, I'm allergic to pigs. Dave in Bellingham, WA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Friday, September 16, 2016 - 01:24 am:

Hers is a 1911 "sleeper,"

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick J. Gunter -- Sparta, Missouri, USA on Thursday, September 22, 2016 - 06:21 pm:

That's the perfect car for taking a date to the drive-in movie and parking on the back row.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, September 22, 2016 - 06:35 pm:

......with side curtains of course, right?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Thursday, September 22, 2016 - 06:36 pm:

Voice of experience?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, September 22, 2016 - 06:38 pm:

Well,....."maybe",......but not in a Model T Ford!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration