Central New Hampshire Model T Club Tour 9-11-2016

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Central New Hampshire Model T Club Tour 9-11-2016
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Tuesday, September 13, 2016 - 04:14 pm:

The tour covering a total of 100 miles with Steve LeBlanc leading the way in his ’27 sedan, Chris Landry in his great looking ’15 speedster, myself in Seabiscuit, Paul LeBlanc in his Brass ’16 touring and Ken LeBlanc in his ’27, left Merrimack Valley Tire, 45 Hilldale Ave in Haverhill, under cloudy skies, but dry roads a little after 9 am. Along the way new friend Mike Lawrence in his fantastic 1928 Pontiac Landau coupe joined us. We drove over little traveled, great back roads on our way to Beverly where we picked up the Essex Coastal Scenic Byway. Then we followed Route 127 up the coast through Manchester by the Sea into Gloucester, stopping at Stage Fort Park, to wait for Bill Harper who drove all the way from Keene to be on this tour. While there, old friends Pete Turner and Carrol Crossman in their VW Doodle Bug joined us (I must say all of us T guys are working hard on Pete to get a Model T). Then continuing up the coast to Halibut Point State Park, the location of the remains of the Babson Farm Granite Quarry. Here we enjoyed our picnic lunches while Model T master chef Bill Harper had us all drooling over his model T cooker Salmon casserole. It was a by now a beautiful clear day and we could see Crane’s Beach in Ipswich, distant Mountains in Maine and the Isles of Shoals off the coast of New Hampshire. Of particular interest was the control tower which in the last years of World War II was constructed. It has a 60-foot fire control tower that was intended to assist aiming the coastal weapons (16” guns) defending the Atlantic coast line.
After lunch we traveled the rest of the way around Cape Anne back to Gloucester, picking up Route 133 for our drive to White Farms Ice Cream stop in Ipswich and then up Route 1a through Newburyport, crossing the Merrimack River into Amesbury, Mass. driving along the river back to their shop.

Happy motoring,

Warren

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvoD-IJwlnc&feature=youtu.be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Tuesday, September 13, 2016 - 05:47 pm:

Nice video, looks like a great drive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 07:40 am:

Thank you Royce, I am having trouble adding some photos, but will keep trying.

Happy motoring,

Warren

Halibut Point State Park, Rockport, Mass

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Landry, Hudson, NH on Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 07:08 pm:

Warren forgot to mention the part where it absolutely poured rain for 20 minutes as a front went through. I was the guy driving the speedster. Luckily I had brought along a towel and a dry shirt. After that it turned into a beautiful day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Thursday, September 15, 2016 - 07:23 am:

Chris, I was having a senior moment. The main thing was we had a great time on a great tour.

Happy motoring,

Warren

2. Chris & Nancy Landry's 1915 Speedster
4a. gentlemen start your engines
6. Halibut Point State Park
9. Halibut Point State Park, 60-foot fire control tower

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Sunday, September 18, 2016 - 12:17 pm:

Yes, it really was a nice tour and I want to thank Ken LeBlanc for creating it.

Chris's mention (above) of the storm is modest. The weather forecasts indicated a front coming through which would bring a line of brief but strong rain storms. As I was leaving Keene around 7:30AM the sky was very dark with strong winds and I kept thinking "Boy, I am gonna get slammed". Well, I stayed ahead of the storm until I was gassing up at about 10:00 or so in Andover, MA after travelling through beautiful downtown Lawrence. I was just getting the receipt from the attendant when the first few drops began to fall. I pulled off to the side of the station to get everything repositioned after filling (under the seat tank) when the wind picked up and blew like crazy, quickly followed by the heavens opening up. It came down in Buckets.
This intense portion of the storm lasted maybe ten minutes and lessened to a good steady rain for another ten minutes and then tapered to gentle rain and stopped. I can't imagine what it was like for poor Chris in (on?) his speedster. He gets the Iron Man award for the day.

The clouds eventually departed and we enjoyed a sunny afternoon. My trip home took me through Nashua, NH so I stopped to have dinner with my daughter and her family. Everyone got a ride in the Model T. I arrived home around 10:30 PM and had added 250 miles to the runabout. Life is good.

A few additional pictures from the day:

For those of you far removed from New England and not acquainted with our Maritime History, Gloucester, MA has been a fishing port for centuries and the Gloucester Fisherman's Memorial is an iconic image. And it is from this port that the fishing vessel "Andrea Gail" sailed into "The Perfect Storm" in 1991 and was lost with all hands.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Monday, September 19, 2016 - 05:14 pm:

Spent our first 52 years in New Hampshire and toured many of those same roads with various auto groups since 1968 :-) Memories always treasured

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration