Over size brake and reverse shafts.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Over size brake and reverse shafts.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Tuesday, September 13, 2016 - 07:58 pm:

I assumed as my brake and low band cams were very warn, that my pedal shafts were too. One is pretty pitted up. So, I ordered oversize shafts. D I dn't think about it until after working forever to get the end shafts in the pedal ends, and pinned. THEN I looked at the invoice from Langs to make sure I ordered the right part and noticed the OS at the end of the part number and realized I ordered over-sized ones.

Nice... so how to bore out the hogshead for .005 over 5/8"?? I have an 11/16... but that's too big. Seems like putting in a bushings g might work, but still need to find one this odd size .

Suggestions?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, September 13, 2016 - 08:11 pm:

Dennis, I would use my adjustable reamers to take that .005" out of the hogshead. That way you can make the closest fit to the shafts you have.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Tuesday, September 13, 2016 - 08:35 pm:

Hmmmm good idea! I'll check with the local rent-a-tool place, and see if they have one. I only have one reamer, and it's a taper.
Maybe Harbor Freight, too...

Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Trent Boggess on Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 02:22 am:

Steve Coniff and I wrote an article on making and fitting oversize pedal shafts that was published in the "The Vintage Ford" several years ago. We included copies of the original Ford factory drawings of all three pedal shafts, and recommended the new shafts be made out of 41/64" drill rod, which is .016" larger than the original 5/8" pedal shafts.

To enlarge the holes in the transmission cover to accept the new pedal shafts we recommended the use of a Sunnen hone. It takes a while to hone the holes oversize, but you can do a better job of controlling the clearance, and results in a much smoother finished hole.

Respectfully Submitted,

Trent Boggess

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 09:57 am:

Interesting that, at least around here, the shops with a Sunnen hone don't want to use them for this job. They all want to bush the holes back to standard and it takes some heavy persuasion to talk them out of it. Dunno why.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 11:47 am:

RV; I think that maybe the time it takes to remove that much with a Sunnen Hone. Can not charge enough to pay for the hone and stone. Till you buy some of those you would not believe the cost. Price one to do the big hole in the drums!!!! Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 05:49 pm:

Ideally, the Sunnen hone will do a better job, but at what cost? At machine shop hourly rates,I am betting that cost would outweigh the cost of a new adjustable reamer. We are not talking the need for high precision in this application, such as piston pin fit, just a neat fit.
It works for me.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JD, Wichita, KS on Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 11:35 pm:

A somewhat "backyard" solution might be to use a small brake cylinder hone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Pharis on Thursday, September 15, 2016 - 12:30 am:

I chose to try an off the shelf, industrial hard chromed, steel shafting when I was putting together my speedster motor a few years ago. This shafting I used had radial buildup of .002" of hard chrome, so I reamed the hogshead to fit. The only thing I don't particularly like is the 1018 base metal shaft, but the 50% reduction in surface friction is hard to beat!!! It's like it's on ball bearings now... so nice... so nice.

An adjustable reamer was the choice at the time, although next time I would just order a chucking reamer the right size.

The mild steel pedal shafts are holding up just fine. But in a perfect world, I would make oversize shafts from 4130/4140 HT and hard chrome the wear surfaces to a convenient size for reaming the bores. Just my 2 cents... for what it's worth?!?!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration