Just trying to straighten out the wiring on my new 23 and found that that the ignition switch has power to both the batt side and the mag side in either position. I think this must have killed the mag. is the mag repairable in the car and has anybody seen a switch do this?
Correct the wiring to the switch and see what you have. Its more likely that the wire to the mag was disconnected and a wire from the battery attached.
Disconnect any wire from the mag terminal and use a voltmeter to see if you have output. a good mag will have about 9 volts at idle and 25-30 volts at speed.
Yes, you can recharge a mag in the car. There are several threads in the forum on that subject.
On the magneto output terminal on top of the hogshead, you should have about 9 volts at idle and 25-30 volts at speed.