Axle seal replacement

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Axle seal replacement
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnCodman on Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 09:05 am:

My T service manual is packed in a box somewhere - we're moving. What is involved in replacing the outer axle seal in a '27 T?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 09:14 am:

Pop off the cap, remove the old felt, replace it with the new felt, and tap the cap back on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnCodman on Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 10:38 am:

Sounds like something I can Handle!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 10:39 am:

Make sure the washer is in place before you put the cap and felt back on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 10:47 am:

The felt should be sandwiched between the inside of the cap and the washer. See the attached video (about 7:25 in):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfxWPsF4KhQ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 02:49 pm:

I bought some of these. Have not tried them yet but they look like a good idea:

https://www.modeltford.com/item/2510N.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 03:01 pm:

Royce, both my standard and Ruckstell rear axles use those, they go on easily and work well. I greased the O-rings and lip seals with Vaseline prior to installation. :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration