Old Photo - Model T Era - Autocamping In A Chevy

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Photo - Model T Era - Autocamping In A Chevy
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 10:32 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 05:54 pm:

What year Chevy ran 30" clincher demountable rims?
I see a few of these, and they often are in much better order than comparable T rims. We use them on my son's 10cwt lorry, as they are a little wider and the 4.40 x 23" tyres fit better, once the valve hole is shifted.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 06:04 pm:

All these old pictures are before they invented the smile.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Spaziano, Bellflower, CA. on Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 07:28 pm:

Looks like a '23 Superior (replaced the 490) to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lance Sorenson, Hector, Minnesota on Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 08:55 pm:

This is a great photo of the inside of this type of tent. I wonder how they loaded 2 and a 1/2 people and all of the camping gear in that coupe?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 09:45 pm:

There is a second car in the first picture you can see a small part of a touring top behind the tent. Look in the top right of the picture. Maybe all the stuff did not have to go in the coupe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marc Roberts, York, Pennsylvania on Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 10:50 pm:

Whoever coined the phrase "Happy Campers" didn't have these two in mind.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 11:26 pm:

The Chevy owner had a strong interest in broadcasting some connection to Wenatchee, Wa.,
about 3 hours west of Spokane in the Columbia.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Thursday, September 15, 2016 - 08:28 am:

This was probably the only home these people had? They must of fell on hard times.......... Not much to smile about!

Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Thursday, September 15, 2016 - 11:57 am:

with all the rope & rags & blankets on the running board,and back fender, that is where they hauled it + on top of the trunk. the other car has a load of its own. from what i see i dont think these folks where hard up. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH from Houston, TEXAS on Thursday, September 15, 2016 - 01:05 pm:

I guess camping was not their idea.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, September 15, 2016 - 01:17 pm:

The notion of smiling for photos is a relatively new thing. It was not customary to smile for a photo in this era.

Besides, as Willis alludes, I'm not sure they're "camping" in the sense that we camp today. The first photo shows them on the edge of a corn field. Even then, the edge of a corn field would be a dumb place to camp. For one thing, it's probably private property. I think they are there as migrant workers, "down on their luck", so-to-speak.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Thursday, September 15, 2016 - 02:40 pm:

jerry! look at the pic some more!! new car,nice clothes, nice shoes, white wall tires,spare tire cover,campers are on the outside of the fence. oh! i dont think that chev came with a frt bumper.windmill in back window. what a great pic. thanks jay!!!!!!!!!charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, September 16, 2016 - 02:22 am:

When I first looked at these photos, migrant farm workers was my impression. Back in the '20s and well into the '60s, my grandparents raised peaches and occasionally some other things. I remember some of the migrant workers from when I was little. We would spend a couple weeks, sometimes a month there during harvest. I remember a lot of the migrant workers would return year after year to the same ranches that treated them well. Areas were set up where they would camp for the duration of their stay. When I was little, most of the migrants were Mexicans, but not nearly all of them were. In earlier years, I understand that many of the migrants were regulars year after year from the USA mid-West.
My mother sometimes talks about some of the families that came for years. One family from Arkansas had their own farm back home. They could make more money working harvest for a few months in California than they could on their own small farm. Apparently, they did quite well working both sides of the picture. As I recall from the stories told, they had a pretty nice car to drive out from Arkansas with.
Most of the migrants worked hard, long days. Paid by the bucket picked, they could make good money those few months of the year. Many had nice modest homes where they lived the rest of the year, and often other jobs.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration