Overdrive gear box for my Model TT

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Overdrive gear box for my Model TT
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Sebaugh in Jackson, Missouri on Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 11:48 am:

I would like to get an overdrive gear box for my Model TT truck. I have a Ruckstall rear end on it already and would like an overdrive too. Which is better to have: one like a Warford just after the transmission or one near the rear end, near my Ruckstall? Any help or direction would appreciated. PS (Got one for sale with a drive shaft?)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 12:12 pm:

The KC Warford is the best choice. It has synchronized gears and a unit particularly adapted for the TT.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 01:32 pm:

But the new KC Warford will of course cost several times the price of a usable vintage unit :-(

Another difference is that the vintage units has straight cut gears that howls in overdrive - often tolerable in an open car, but could be more annoying in a closed cab.

Accessory wheel brakes are needed with any transmission that can get in neutral.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Smith on Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 09:13 pm:

KC warford is straight cut gear, constant mesh. Think motorcycle transmission. Or checkout constant mesh. Can really shift whenever you want. Neat little box. Special overdrive ratio for tt application as said above. Nice addition to helping get a higher cruising speed.on the tt. Yes major component and not cheap if plan is to just use at slow speed and not go far.Never an easy decision. Good luck. TS

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 09:54 pm:

I just finished a 400 mile tour in the mountains of Idaho on back country roads with 3 passes up to 9,000 feet. Very steep! I love my new KC Warford. It made running these roads safe and enjoyable. On the pavement the overdrive was real nice. It would be a good fit for your TT. PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 09:56 pm:

I'll chime in with Rogers' comments. The KC Warford is great and if your budget allows it, it's a great choice. There are also many vintage units, most mounted just behind the planetary and some mounted just ahead of the rear end, that work just fine. I have a vintage Muncie in my TT, and yes it's noisy but I love it.

You didn't say which rear end gears you have (high speed or low speed), but either way the Ruckstell and a 3 speed auxiliary transmission will give you more gear (ratio) combinations than you can use.

As Roger said, accessory brakes are a MUST!! I've heard several TT guys say they rely on the emergency brake for "emergencies", but in my opinion when things go wrong they tend to do so very quickly. I'd much rather have a brake pedal that works than be reaching for the emergency brake lever while I'm adjusting the throttle, the spark, trying to toot the horn, and to steer all at the same time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 11:41 pm:

Pat, ... I'd like to see your truck in action.

What is a comfortable cruising speed for your TT ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Thursday, September 15, 2016 - 12:36 am:

Now that I've had an original Warford and about to run a Chicago, I wouldn't have a KC unit if someone gave it to me. It's just way cooler to use the original equipment and learning to shift on the fly is half the fun.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Smith on Thursday, September 15, 2016 - 09:14 am:

Seth if someone gives you a KC let me know and I will take it. They are all cool in my book. I do get your point of sticking to only old stuff. It has its cool factor as you say. TS

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Thursday, September 15, 2016 - 10:35 am:

I have had a vintage Mark E for years in some very steep up and down areas. It has a U joint in front that may have saved a broken crank. 99 percent of the driving done is using straight through---- no over drive----disc brakes are necessary in my opinion for stopping from going back word up a very steep hill. My opinion on a car not truck is it lugs the engine to much in over drive and the noise is to much In under drive my touring will go almost any where . Its nice for cold starts with a neutral, very heavy, needs cross member support. I bought it out of a T tractor for 400. Another 300, modifying parts. And much work. Its very hard to put in gear with out coming to a stop. A KC has synchromesh gears, much lighter, and likely parts availability if ever needed. Your choice!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Friday, September 16, 2016 - 10:33 am:

Burger,I think I left some confusion out there. The KC Warford is in my 27 Tudor. After miles in the boonies this week, I think a KC Warford would be great in a TT. My TT has the high speed differential gears and it will run along about 34 mph all day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Lovejoy, So Cal on Saturday, September 17, 2016 - 12:47 am:

Take your time, go to swaps. I have a Rocky Mountain Six Speed overdrive on my TT, just getting it on the road now. But at the last Long beach swapmeet I picked up another in working order for 50 bucks. Saw a couple other brands for around 400 or so. There are deals out there, good luck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Saturday, September 17, 2016 - 01:16 pm:

Over the years I have seen people install overdrive units from '50's era cars into the driveshafts of model A's and similar. The issue for use in a T is that they "free wheel" in OD, so good hub brakes are essential. Nice thing is they are quiet and easy shifting.
Another option to consider is a Laycock from a British or other European car. They have electric/hydraulic shifting. They are probably not rated for the torque of low gear/reverse in OD, but it wouldn't be too hard to add a limit switch to ensure it automatically shifts into straight drive when you exit high gear. Just have the switch installed so when you push on the pedal it drops out of OD. This could actually work out really good for hill climbing. Make it really easy to drop down to direct and then shift back up. Yes a bit of machining would be needed, but shouldn't be too tough. With the Laycock you don't have the "free wheel" concern/issue

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sullivan on Saturday, September 17, 2016 - 02:01 pm:

Borg-Warner OD does not freewheel in overdrive, but before overdrive is engaged, facilitating shifting to overdrive. Dave in Bellingham, WA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Saturday, September 17, 2016 - 03:09 pm:

Your right. From a brake point of view no difference

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration