O.T. Painting galvanized steel

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: O.T. Painting galvanized steel
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Schmidt ..... Seattle on Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 02:13 pm:

Hi
Can anyone tell me best way to paint a galvanized steel flag pole. There must be a good primer that someone can recommend.
Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Brancaccio - Calgary Alberta on Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 02:29 pm:

Any of the big stores should have galvanized primer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Albert Lemon on Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 04:12 pm:

Steve, anything with zinc-chromate in it, the more the gooder, enamel base. Scuff the pole lightly with 180 grit and clean thoroughly. Always use a zinc when painting galvanize or stainless steel because they are non-pores.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Schmidt ..... Seattle on Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 04:32 pm:

Ok thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 05:55 pm:

Use ZRC Cold Galvanizing and you are done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By stuart clipson on Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 06:18 pm:

wipe down with muratic acid. this will give a surface finish for the paint to bite onto. common practice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Young in Mays Landing, NJ on Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 06:56 pm:

I have used a product called Rust Grip. It's expensive as all hell but two coats of it and your're done. Can't spray it. It rolls on beautifully and dries fast to a silver finish. You tube it. I've used maybe 5 gallons of it in painting rusty areas on my cranes where I don't dare risk sandblasting. It will definitely adhere to galvanizing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Thursday, September 15, 2016 - 12:53 am:

I've always heard you must wash it in vinegar before you paint over galvanized metal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Schmidt ..... Seattle on Friday, September 16, 2016 - 11:01 am:

I want to paint it hunter green, so I think it needs a primer first. I just don't want to waste money and have it peel in a few years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, September 16, 2016 - 12:45 pm:

Rustoluem makes primer for aluminum and galvanized metal.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum-Stops-Rust-1-qt-Aluminum-Flat-Rust-Prevent ive-Primer-8781502/100123993?keyword=galvanized+primer

It is actually latex but can be top coated with oil based paint per the can.

I've used it on galvanized gutters and downspouts, galvanized furnace flues and aluminum roof vents followed by oil base top coats.

It works very well here in our MInnesota climate. It shrinks right up and makes a tight bond.

Rustoluem used to make oil based primer for galvanized metal - very strong stuff that would make your nostril hairs fall out. I wish it were still available.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Schmidt ..... Seattle on Friday, September 16, 2016 - 02:22 pm:

Thanks again

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Beatty _Kansas City on Friday, September 16, 2016 - 03:31 pm:

Does anyone know where I could buy a gallon of Rust Grip to try? I found lots of websites with data but no retailers.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration