O.T. Model T Residential Garages

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: O.T. Model T Residential Garages
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Jorgensen, Batavia, IL on Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 03:11 pm:

When I am driving about, I always smile when I come across what I call a "Model T" garage. By that I mean a garage that was built just big enough for a new Ford Model T. Because of their size, these garages no longer house an automobile, but are used for bikes and lawn equipment. However they remain a tangible, physical, reminder of the early automotive era. Here is one of my favorites:

This photo is of a "modern house" of the Model T era. What made the house modern in its day, was that it was built with running water, electricity, central heat(coal), and... a GARAGE. Not a building for a horse, but a structure built specifically for the automobile.

While the house was modern, it was not "futuristic". The concept that a family of average means would need a second bathroom or a second car was inconceivable at the time.

The house was built with the knowledge that life was good, and quite possibly couldn't get better!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, September 15, 2016 - 11:07 am:

There are a few of those kind of garages in my neighborhood in Lomita, California.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Thursday, September 15, 2016 - 11:20 am:

Every house in my neighborhood has one. Our neighborhood was built in 1915 and has narrow brick streets with large old live oaks...very pretty...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie Dill on Thursday, September 15, 2016 - 11:47 am:

Here's a photo from my house. I think late 20's. I posted this earlier on this forum. Note the oblong blur in the sky. It's a Zeppelin - likely Graf Zeppelin flying over Long Island on it's way to Lakehurst.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie Dill on Thursday, September 15, 2016 - 12:05 pm:

Here's a photo from my house. I think late 20's. I posted this earlier on this forum. Note the oblong blur in the sky. It's a Zeppelin - likely Graf Zeppelin flying over Long Island on it's way to Lakehurst.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sullivan on Thursday, September 15, 2016 - 11:34 pm:

Where I live, those garages are not as plentiful as when I was a kid, but there's still a few. Dave in Bellingham, WA. (Far corner)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, September 16, 2016 - 12:31 am:

Larry didn't admit it, but he lives in one of those housed, although his garage looks relatively small from the front, it's probably as big as his house!
Very picturesque with one of his Ts in the driveway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, September 16, 2016 - 01:49 am:

Apparently, one had to put the car away with the top down on
most or all of these.
Few have the door header clearance to drive in with the top up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom 30 miles N of Memphis TN on Friday, September 16, 2016 - 07:10 am:

Most of these didn't have an overhead door when new. The opening was likely made smaller to accommodate the overhead when installed years later.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Friday, September 16, 2016 - 07:48 am:

There is the famous Hewlett Packard garage *where it all began*. Palo Alto, California
garage
hp house

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Friday, September 16, 2016 - 08:28 am:

Wayne, it's funny because I too look out for garages like that too. I like to think back to what it was probably like back in the day of the T, and picture "Dad" working on the T to go to town, or even to get to work on Monday.

Gary brings up an excellent point I had not thought off. I always wondered how they fit a T with a smaller door, that explanation of making the doorway smaller for an overhead makes perfect sense. Usually, at least around here, you can spot "original" garages because there walls are often taller than one would expect---in other words they look out of proportion from a modern garage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie Dill on Friday, September 16, 2016 - 08:29 am:

Ironically, when the original home owner sent me the photo of his garage w/ the Model T parked in front, my Model T was parked in the same garage a mere 5' or so in front of what you see in the picture. But no Zeppelin overhead these days. Only jets on downwind prior to landing at White Plains.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Klemmer on Friday, September 16, 2016 - 08:53 am:

My 1925 garage was badly retrofit with a 16' overhead door after a fire. The header is now only 6' and I have to fold the touring's windscreen to get her in. One of my projects is to reinstall the center post and make hinged wood doors again.

Many garages of this vintage were modified in the 50's/60's to accommodate bigger cars by building a little extension out the back for the hood and bumper.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, September 16, 2016 - 08:55 am:

Interesting difference in generations...we drive around looking for old Model T garages/barns, today's generation goes around looking for Pokemon.

Wayne that's a great picture of that well kept old house with that cute little garage. Would love to look in it and the barn behind it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Friday, September 16, 2016 - 09:04 am:

Brooklyn's full of 'em.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Jorgensen, Batavia, IL on Friday, September 16, 2016 - 11:15 am:

The building behind belongs to the neighbors. One reason the Garage survives is the lot size would make a larger Garage difficult.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, September 16, 2016 - 11:36 am:

David is correct about my garage. This house probably did have a T garage when new, but the current one was built in 1941, and added to again later, and then when I retired I added another 20 feet to the rear. My only regret is I didn't add more, and yes, there is more square footage in the garage than the house.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Friday, September 16, 2016 - 02:02 pm:

There is a unique, upper middle class, oval shaped neighborhood next to mine that was built entirely from scratch from 1920 to 1923. It was designed to be distinctive from the rest of the city. Every house has a Model T garage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Friday, September 16, 2016 - 09:44 pm:

A Model T friend of mine in Plover, WI, has such a shed in his back yard in a residential neighborhood.
He built it as large as the powers that be would allow.
There is, maybe, 3 feet of clearance all around his '27 Coupe but it does the job....... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, September 16, 2016 - 10:38 pm:

Well since Larry didn't post a pic, here's one I had & just scanned in, unfortunately (in this case) the picture is focused on his T, not the house and garage, but you get the idea. My house is way out in the country and far too new for such niceties.
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Luke----central TX. on Saturday, September 17, 2016 - 12:31 am:

When we visited my grandpa in Washington DC, I saw quite a few "model t garages". Grandpa's house was built in 21 and I assume a lot of the houses around there were built in the same time period.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, September 17, 2016 - 08:17 am:

Nice bungalow Larry! Since you say the garage is bigger than the house, just how many square feet is the house anyway?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration