Something you don't see too often - '26 drum

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Something you don't see too often - '26 drum
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 04:11 pm:

Only have seen two of these in my 40 years of T'ing.2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 04:23 pm:

Tom, please explain how these differ from the usual 26-27 drums we see.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 04:28 pm:

No wear shoes

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By D. R. Currier on Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 04:43 pm:

Standard 26/27 rear T hub..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 04:51 pm:

Bingo! Les nailed it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 04:54 pm:

It's the little ceramic wheel for the anti lock brakes!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 06:44 pm:

I wonder if that might be a Spurious part? "Shoeless" drums are not found in the parts lists.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 07:30 pm:

Could they be after market? Do they have "Ford" on the casting?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 07:38 pm:

And I wish I could prove it, but I have seen '25 type drums with the shoes on the lugs. I wonder if these were aftermarket or produced after car production ceased.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 07:39 pm:

The consensus was last time the topic of them came up was, that it was a Canadian drum. I did have the part # some place, If I find it, will post.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 07:41 pm:

Older thread on 1925 type drums with lug shoes:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/636958.html?1461805478

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 10:01 pm:

Did you pick dig that drum out of the ground or did you recently dismantle a motor that had been sitting at the bottom of a lake?

I believe my dad has an NOS 1925 drum with lugs sitting on the shelf that he picked up around 1950 from a Ford dealer in southern Minnesota. I'll have to ask him.

Below is an NOS 1926-27 drum that I sold for my dad not too long ago (he picked it from the same dealer as the 1925 drum mentioned above). There really didn't seem to be much pressure holding the lugs in place. One lug was not fully seated so I took a piece of hardwood and a hammer and tapped it into its proper position.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, September 15, 2016 - 10:37 am:

I have seen 26 drums with no lug shoes. Maybe real early '26 design?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Thursday, September 15, 2016 - 11:54 am:

Late '25 narrow brake drums had lug shoes, so it wouldn't make sense that they would have made any 26/27 wide brake drums without the lug shoes.

I would like to see the Ford script and "T#" on that drum...

Does anyone have a copy of, or have seen the "record of change" on the late brake drums?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, September 15, 2016 - 12:31 pm:

I have a '26 style engine made the first day of that design, July '27 1925. It has lug shoes on the brake drum and they're quite easy pushing on or off - as long as they're in one piece they have nowhere to go when the clutch is assembled.

I think Les might be right about the one Tom posted above - Canadian production.

Narrow brake drums with lug shoes were sold as spare parts by Ford in '26/'27 and later on for older cars, they were likely never used in production.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration