Constructing a magnet charger: Questions

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Constructing a magnet charger: Questions
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 04:44 pm:

I want to make a big one that will produce a strong charge. The standard recommendation is that a charged magnet should hold a two pound weight, but some folks tell me they get considerably more, like four or five pounds. I won't try to match Ron the Coil Man, who is reputed to have a monster charger the size of a Patton tank, but I do want it big and strong enough to get me over five pounds. So here are the questions.

1 I'm guessing that the magnetism increases with the number of turns in the coil. Am I guessing correctly?

2 Does wire size matter? If so, what gauge would be best?

If anybody has additional information I didn't think to ask about, do tell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 05:25 pm:

Steve: Search AMP TURNS on the web. That should help you. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 07:31 pm:

A fellow by the name of David Gingerly or similar to that, wrote a detailed booklet years ago on building your own - a quite nifty magnet charger, at that - I built one & use it regularly - mind you it's not as big a monster as Ron's but it's been servicing me & my customers for years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Eliason...........Whittier, CA on Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 07:35 pm:

Steve,
I built mine based on the David Gingery plans with No. 18 magnet wire which I had access to.

3,361 turns total in the two coils, pulls 6.9 amps at 120 volts rectified to DC as per the plans.

23,191 amp-turns according to my math. I made a point to insulate everything better than in Gingery's design due to the 120 volts.

I measure the magnet's pull at the location of the clamping plate since it seems to be a more consistent surface from magnet to magnet than at the very tips.

Charger

pull

My method of measuring magnetic pull clearly gives different results than picking up an object with the tips of the magnet due to the leverage in the arm, but it consistently showed about a 3-fold increase in pull after charging, and the car ran well on mag before. Maybe it'll throw lightning bolts now.
Best regards.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 07:37 pm:

Page 4 of this website:

http://gingerybookstore.com/index.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 08:05 pm:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/675238.html?1473647218

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration