Model T Tinkering Tip

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Model T Tinkering Tip
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Skingley ......Westland, Michigan on Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 05:03 pm:

This tinkering tip was passed on to me and I have found it a good one. The use of wax as a lubricant, not too many have a bar of bees wax on the work table. It can be used for many more jobs than I will suggest but here are a few when tinkering on the Model T.

The picture shows the obvious, a wood screw or machine, and even a wad on the head end to hold it in position on the screw driver. If you ever had bendix screws out the slot is worn as the special thread size of #14-24 means they get re-used and worn, wax can give you a hand as you work behind the pedals.

I use it between the spring leafs , just spread it thin with your fingers.

Oil lamps have a locking slide that can be hard to move, wax works great where there is that kind of friction. The head light rims that rotate and lock in can be tight, wax will aid that installation.

Threads of any kind, helps prevent galling when using stainless machine screws. Hub cap threads on the T present lots of friction or surface area, wax really helps.

I use it for mounting tires by applying it to the rim to ease the bead over.

Wood screws and portable drills another place where you get benefits, like less wood splitting and use of the battery.

Around clothing wax is cleaner, where grease or oil could pose a problem.

Wax feels good to the hands and does not drip all over your project. If I have a lot of excess like after spring assembly, I remove with some mineral spirits on a rag. It is very friendly with paint. When drilling on the mill , I just run the bit into the ring and continue. I guess I will stop here, yes even a frugal Model T mechanic can afford to buy a new wax wring. I keep one open on the work bench.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 06:18 pm:

Great ideas. -Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 11:16 pm:

Another candidate for recycling. Well, maybe not.

My dentist always gives out a tube of lip balm in his goody bag. I keep one in the tool box for a handy dab of lubricant in small applications.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe LaMacchia, St. Louis, MO. on Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 11:37 pm:

I have plenty of used wax rings, FREE!
Who needs one?

Joe the Plumber.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Thursday, September 15, 2016 - 07:14 am:

Wax collects dirt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Skingley ......Westland, Michigan on Thursday, September 15, 2016 - 08:03 am:

Richard grease and oil also collects dirt thats why it turns black. One thing I do know , you have to buy a ring and leave it on the work bench before you realize any benefit. I just know my own reaction when I started using it......Wow this is good.....available at any hardware.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, September 15, 2016 - 08:29 am:

Bar of hand soap does the trick too. Even a bottle of liquid dish soap.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration