Its been a long time, Ill be returning to Model T's finally

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Its been a long time, Ill be returning to Model T's finally
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 06:44 pm:

Long story short my parts are recoverable and not lost having survived more than a decade in storage and a few moves. In the next few years I should be starting my build, until then I am still looking to source some pieces . . .

Im building a pre war sport touring, think speedster with a rear seat. Mechanically I already have the engine block (1914) and most of the correct early chasis. Ill be running a cam driven VW oil pump off the back of the cam (custom A cam ground), dual miller or model H winfield carbs (not sourced yet). Im working on sourcing a head but do not have one yet. I will be running an overhead, roof rajo, or similar. Im not interested in a chevy conversion. Ignition will be a cross drive magneto plate and magneto that I have. For a crank I would like to find a model C but may end up going with an A and dips. No starter and I have an early RHD aluminum hoggshead. The rearend is an early ruxtel which I have, although I will be looking for outside brakes. The car will be lowered 6-7 inches employing Chevy spindles, an inverted eye and plate for the front. At present I have no steering, if you have suggestions but remember RHD. I plan on running elliptical on the rear which with the front plate will increase the wheelbase to about 108. I have not sourced a radiator yet (I have a T) as I want something larder than a T and honeycomb as well. As far as wheels go I would like wire knockoffs and have 2 so far. Ive opted out of a windshield but will have a top which will need to be modified to fit the body. Fenders will be custom comparable to those on a torpedo. The front seats will be staggered buckets (I have a pattern from an early stutz) with no rear doors for the small bench. The brass and general look will be about a 1910. I have headlights, carbide generator, most of a taillight but no spotlight yet. I will eliminate sidelights. I have a brass spider but plan on sourcing a fat man wheel (sliding type). I will also be looking for brass hand pumps (oil and gas), magneto/battary switch (not ford), a white faced gasoline pressure gauge, and any other early brass pieces I can't find or fabricate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 07:06 pm:

Hey Chad- welcome back! I was thinking about you just the other day and wondered if you would come up for air at some point! Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Thursday, September 15, 2016 - 09:10 am:

Well Im married with a son and we just bought property so now I can think about a home and garage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, September 15, 2016 - 11:06 am:

Chad; you have that backwards--a Garage and home! Let's get the priorities straight here! :-)
Welcome back!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Thursday, September 15, 2016 - 12:28 pm:

Chad
Are you thinking about front brakes?
Steering. I might be able to help you given your timeline. I have 3 sets of internals to make a RHD version of the Ross steering box. I have fabricated one RHD box of the '26-7 version and will fabricate two more of the earlier version.
Front brakes. I've spent endless hours learning the pitfalls and issues surrounding this item. Way too much to post here

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Thursday, September 15, 2016 - 01:38 pm:

Negative on the front brakes, just not correct enough in my opinion. While on the topic of brakes I had stock brakes (26/26) on my speedster with a warford and drove all over the sierras so I should be fine with rocky mountain on the smaller drum. The Ross does interest me considerably.

While I have been away from model T's I have learned a few new skills primarily dealing with casting. I have worked a fair bit with bronze doing lost wax as well as sand (30 lbs solo/200+ with help) and will be building a foundry at the shop where I will be able to cast brass, bronze and aluminum. On the carbs I have a friend with a few Millers so I will most likely start by reproducing those for the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Thursday, September 15, 2016 - 08:29 pm:

Lowering 6-7 inches. Please check the clearance of the oil drain plug to the ground!!! More than one of us have ripped the drain plug out without being lowered that much!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, September 16, 2016 - 12:34 am:

Chad,
"I have a friend with a few Millers " -- I dunno if a few beers is a good idea when casting!
:-)
(Do they still make Miller's?)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Friday, September 16, 2016 - 12:44 am:

Miller carbs . . .

As for the ground clearance Im familiar with low speedsters.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, September 16, 2016 - 01:41 pm:

Well, yes, Miller High Life has carbs. . . . :-)
I hadn't actually thought about the carburetors, I was thinking your friend had milling machines!! Wow, reproductions of Miller Carbs? That sounds mighty ambitious! You're going to be one busy fellow!
OK, back to work, computer break is over!!
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Friday, September 16, 2016 - 04:23 pm:

Well I've been working on "other" stuff so precision casting and fabrication shouldn't be much different.

http://www.swabsarmory.com/past-projects.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, September 16, 2016 - 09:41 pm:

Miller carbs are interesting but Winfield carbs were better. Why not make those instead!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration