Changing the oil and this fell out

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Changing the oil and this fell out
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Govoni on Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 07:55 pm:

Broken Parts

So was changing the oil and this fell out. Looks like a small nail with a mushroom head on it and a small spring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 08:04 pm:

Bendix drive pinion counterweight spring and plunger.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Govoni on Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 08:51 pm:

Is that bad?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Govoni on Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 08:53 pm:

Is there anything else I should look for? from the Bendix?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 08:54 pm:

Well, it's not good ! Any errant, loose parts flailing around inside won't end well - apparently a Bendix drive "came from together" at some time in the past.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 09:16 pm:

That spring follower is the drift pin and it keeps the Bendix gear on track.

Without it, perhaps gear wobble or sticking.

Since it normally is there, some stress has happened, or excessive wear, maybe other loose parts.

Would be prudent to pull and inspect, repair or replace the Bendix drive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 09:58 pm:

"Came from together". I like that Steve! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Govoni on Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 10:33 pm:

Wow thanks everyone. I'll have to take the Bendix apart and look to see if this it's the one that supposed to be there or it's from an old one. I also saw this issue as well. One of the sets of gears seem to be hitting the flywheel. I turned the crank (no gas in it so I won't start) and had my wife look at the gears as the went around. Only one set came this close the other ones had a gap. I wonder if when the car was started last year the gear hit and caused the Bendix to "come from together". This is what the gear looked like. The hitting gear

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 11:30 pm:

You can prevent loose parts from flailing around inside
the engine by pouring the transmission full of sand. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 11:37 pm:

Robert - there is definitely something amiss in the planetary transmission - perhaps broken triple gear pin or ??? That gear at the top hitting the flywheel has been run that way for a bit to take the backside of the teeth down - I don't think I'd run that engine with that gear doing that. If something did snap in the planetary, it could have bound up the starter & Bendix drive - cause & effect !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Thursday, September 15, 2016 - 12:17 am:

Agreed with Steve, that gear would be a good part of 3/8" from home, broken pin, don't even start it up if it even can be? I'm sure things would be locked up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, September 15, 2016 - 12:53 am:

Robert,
Sad to say, it's engine pulling time. Major problem showing up there. Amazing that it hasn't blown itself apart with that going on in there.
Of course, now you've opened pandora's box. These cars will run with amazing things wrong with them--not that it's good to run them that way though!
I once had a model A engine that ran like a top, but when I opened it up, the camshaft looked like a wrinkle finish paint job--the lobes were nothing but rust CRATERS--not pits!
OH well, in for a pound, in for a dollar (uh, could be lots of them though)--at least you WILL know your car when you are done!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, September 15, 2016 - 11:36 am:

Yup, that's real bad...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Govoni on Thursday, September 15, 2016 - 12:26 pm:

The guy had it running last summer. I saw the video. This will be a first for me. Is this a job that requires taking the firewall and body off first or can I take the Radiator off and fish it out from the front? I think this is the issue with many other things I've noted.
1. It's stuck in gear.
2. The Clutch pushes down and won't come up until you pull it up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, September 15, 2016 - 12:47 pm:

Here's a recentl thread about pulling the engine. The radiator and the steering column will have to be removed.

Look at this series on Youtube on how to fix the engine and transmission: https://youtu.be/Lp5pY7dEuy8

And buy the club's book on transmission and engine repair.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, September 15, 2016 - 12:54 pm:

Here's a link to the manuals: http://modeltstore.myshopify.com/collections/restoration-aids/products/service-m anuals?variant=9278312

Don't forget Ford's official service manual: http://mtfci2002.readyhosting.com/manuals/Model_T_Service_Manual/mtsm.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, September 15, 2016 - 12:57 pm:

Got distracted, forgot to add the link to the recent discussion on engine removal..
Here it is: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/675673.html?1473849386

(Message edited by Roger K on September 15, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, September 15, 2016 - 01:05 pm:

Robert,

1. That's your main trouble.
2. Minor issue. Just requires some band adjustment. Take care of #1 first.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Thursday, September 15, 2016 - 01:11 pm:

Robert, just take the radiator off and pull the engine out. It helps a lot to take the wishbone out completely.

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Thursday, September 15, 2016 - 03:28 pm:

Robert,
If you saw it running on video, I would say the only way that that could be is that he had a rear wheel jacked up. That triple gear would have the whole transmission locked up like in top gear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Thursday, September 15, 2016 - 04:22 pm:

What oil are you gonna put back in it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Govoni on Thursday, September 15, 2016 - 05:38 pm:

Thanks for all the links and a big thank you to everyone who is adding to the discussion. I already bought the transition book (and several others). Yes he did have the rear of the car off the ground when it was running.

Tim I'm going to put non synthetic 5W-30 detergent oil with some zinc additive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Govoni on Thursday, September 22, 2016 - 04:00 pm:

Trying to find the link to Lang's for the eyelet that you use to pull the engine. I tried to search for it on Lang's WEB page but I'm not sure what it's called.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kirk on Thursday, September 22, 2016 - 04:11 pm:

I have a magnet attached to the oil drain plug plus a transmission oil screen cover that comes with a magnet, it may prevent a broken part from doing damage.

https://www.modeltford.com/item/3378OS.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, September 22, 2016 - 04:11 pm:

https://www.modeltford.com/item/T-LFT-STD.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Govoni on Thursday, September 22, 2016 - 08:57 pm:

Thanks everyone I ordered it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Govoni on Thursday, December 15, 2016 - 10:31 am:

Well I'm going to pull the engine soon. Got he eye bolts from Lang's and an engine hoist. Got all the books. Now I only need some extra time. I've also got to pull a Booster out of my 67 Charger and get it rebuilt as well. Old cars are never done but then again that's what makes them fun.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration