M1917 WW1 Ambulance Gets a New Engine

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: M1917 WW1 Ambulance Gets a New Engine
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David ONeal on Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 07:57 pm:

ambeng
The old engine was really tired and needed an overhaul. So I asked Mike Bender in Oklahoma if he would do the re-build on my engine. I am happy to say the the engine is almost complete and I am posting this link to my website where I am pleased to show off Mike's amazing engine work.
http://www.ww1history.com/what-s-happening-now.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Esser on Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 09:40 pm:

Finally see a way to pull T motors without using head spark plug adapter. Would you please send me Mike Benders information for rebuild. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gustaf in Idaho on Thursday, September 15, 2016 - 09:51 am:

Looking at the markings on the magnets, I would think that they are not installed correctly, shouldn't the poles be reversed on the adjacent magnet?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, September 15, 2016 - 11:54 am:

Gustaf,

No.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By samuel pine on Thursday, September 15, 2016 - 02:35 pm:

thats Mikes way of marking magnets. don't worry
Mike is a pro..................

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gustaf in Idaho on Thursday, September 15, 2016 - 04:59 pm:

Thanks Jerry, I always thought you would get a stronger charge if north was mated with north and south with south, Good thing I charged mine in the car or I would have really screwed it up:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, September 15, 2016 - 07:04 pm:

David -- Glad to see you're putting a new heart in your Ambulance. And Mikey is one of the best engine builders around! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David ONeal on Thursday, September 15, 2016 - 08:40 pm:

Yes, I can't say enough about Mike Bender's work. He communicates with the owners as well. I hear Mr. Mike Walker knows his way through a T Engine as well...isn't that right Mike.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, September 16, 2016 - 10:01 am:

The olive drab paint on the engine hoist is a nice touch... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David ONeal on Saturday, September 24, 2016 - 08:49 pm:

Mike Bender finished my Engine Overhaul and I transported it back home today. Now its time to start getting ready for install. Can't wait to get her running again.

enghome

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Hudson on Saturday, September 24, 2016 - 09:49 pm:

Congratulations, Mike dose a fantastic job, and you can ask him questions if you run into a snag.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, September 25, 2016 - 08:06 am:

Nice and simple engine stand, I need to make one of those! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Sunday, September 25, 2016 - 01:59 pm:

When pulling a motor I like to use a chain round the pan to take the weight but I am concerned about it tipping out. To stop it from tipping, I add a line from the lift to one of the plugs or to the nose of the pan. Just cautious I guess.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, September 26, 2016 - 10:24 am:

I've found that using a spark plug eyebolt adapter in no.3 spark plug hole seems to work for me. Its pretty level as I remember but you can use a piece of strap or something similar tied to the lift chain or strap to level it out. It doesn't take much.

The way that's shown in the first pick tends to let the engine tip backwards but if you tie something at the back or rear of the engine it will level out. To each his own in this operation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David ONeal on Monday, October 03, 2016 - 08:40 pm:

John you are correct in the fact that I wanted to tip the engine up. The tipped position is so that the pedals clear the firewall.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David ONeal on Monday, October 03, 2016 - 08:52 pm:

Finally had time to put the engine in. Now it is time to bolt everything on.

eng1
eng2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gustaf in Idaho on Tuesday, October 04, 2016 - 11:25 am:

Hey Dave,
It is great that you got your engine overhauled, but I think one of the best parts of you project was pulling an old car out of the weeds and getting the old engine going with out an overhaul in the beginning.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David ONeal on Tuesday, October 04, 2016 - 08:08 pm:

Yeah Gus, I got lucky with this engine in the beginning. I got 7 or 8 years out of it, after I kicked the squirrels out of the head and cleaned all those nut shells out of there. But it was going down hill rapidly this spring and I was afraid of causing major damage so I opted for the re-build with Mike Bender. If you ever get a chance check out his model T engine re-build video's on you tube.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gustaf in Idaho on Tuesday, October 04, 2016 - 10:24 pm:

Yeah, a fresh engine is good, but I still think that you did it right by showing that some of these old cars can be driven with just a bit of TLC. Your car still makes me jealous:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David ONeal on Wednesday, October 26, 2016 - 08:21 pm:

All done, all that is left is driving and engine break-in. Engine runs great and the magneto runs the engine real smooth. Had a free start yesterday. Looking forward to just tinkering now.

final

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, October 27, 2016 - 09:02 am:

It's looking great, David. Did you get your headlight wiring sorted out?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John V. Dow on Sunday, November 20, 2016 - 05:33 pm:

What a beauty!! My grandfather drove a Battlefield Ambulance(it was not a T)for the American Field Service in France in 1915. This was prior to the US entering the war. I have always thought building an ambulance such as yours would be fantastic project for my grandson and I.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Severn - SE Texas on Sunday, November 20, 2016 - 10:56 pm:

Gustaf,

You are right, it should be north with north, south with south. If installed the other way, they sort of cancel each other out. I put my magneto together with like poles together.

Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, November 20, 2016 - 11:31 pm:

I dislike the idea of putting all the weight of the engine and transmission on one spark plug hole. I use two long bolts in head bolt holes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Monday, November 21, 2016 - 06:21 am:

If you do not like using the head to lift, you need to find one of these. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Monday, November 21, 2016 - 06:43 am:

Was just thinking that with the earlier hogs head the engine look more the period to your target vintage. You know there is an earlier casting you could use to replace the generator bracket. This would allow using the earlier timer cover.

Just a thought ....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Monday, November 21, 2016 - 06:49 am:

My great grand father Howard Burt Kelly was too old to join the Army during World War I. Instead he joined the YMCA Medical Corps and was given the rank of major.

He and his crews won the Italian Medal of Honor after hauling 600 wounded under fire in one battle using a model T Ford ambulance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph Bauer on Monday, November 21, 2016 - 08:58 am:

A free start on a '17 with a freshly rebuilt engine is quite an accomplishment. The rebuilder did a great job. You have a winner there.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration