Spare tire mount

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Spare tire mount
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe gallagher on Thursday, September 15, 2016 - 01:52 am:

are there different spare tire mounts for 30 x3 1/2 rims ... thanks for any help .. Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Thursday, September 15, 2016 - 06:00 am:

Short answer is yes. I know of at least three.
You don't mention your car's year in your profile.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe gallagher on Friday, September 16, 2016 - 12:22 am:

Thanks Tom ... I have a 1927 Coupe with 30 x 3 1/2 rims .. thanks again for any help .. Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, September 16, 2016 - 12:40 am:

While some 26's did come with the 30 X 3 1/2 wheels the number was small. You are going to need to find the correct "Y" bracket that would/should mount to the spare tire post if you coupe has one in place. Get yourself a copy of the 1928 reprint of the Ford Price List Of Parts book. It show spare tire parts needed for your coupe. The parts numbers are 2874 (spare rim carrier 30 X 3 1/2 1926-27)and 2872 (spare rim bracket and bolt assy- Road, -Cp 1926-27).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Friday, September 16, 2016 - 06:07 am:

Joe,

You have an interesting car. By 1927, most of the Coupes were built with wire wheels. As Mark notes,you may be hard pressed to find the Y-type carrier to fit your wheels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, September 16, 2016 - 12:50 pm:

AS I have said before, I have a friend that has a 26 coupe with the 30" wood wheels. You might try adding extensions on the more common 21" spare holder "Y" if you can find one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Friday, September 16, 2016 - 12:53 pm:

I have some nos 30 x 3 1/2" Y's
Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, September 16, 2016 - 01:10 pm:

Doesn't get much better then that! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Saggese on Friday, September 16, 2016 - 01:10 pm:

I'm in a similar position, I have a 26 coupe with 30 x3 1/2 rims. I have a 3-hole Y spare holder, but the body clearly had 4 holes originally. A fifth hole was drilled in the center to accommodate the spare holder.

Does the 4 hole spare holder correspond to the 21" wheels, or were there spare holders with 4 mounting holes for 30 x3 1/2 wheels?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, September 16, 2016 - 01:19 pm:

The 21" and 30" should use the same post that bolts to the back of the coupe and roadster body. Someone may have changed a Model A part to mount. Don't quota me on this but the Model T has a round base where mounted to body and I think the A is square. If you can post a photo of what you have maybe we can clear it up. Going back and reading, sounds like you are trying to bolt the "Y" directly to the body? That is not how it's done. There is a stand off post between the body and "Y".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Saturday, September 17, 2016 - 10:13 am:

There were both styles of "spool" mounts - both 3 & 4 hole. I don't know the "why or when" but I have a 4 hole mount holding a 23" (30x3.5) Y on the rear of my Racer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Saturday, September 17, 2016 - 10:15 am:

And to add - either "Y" will fit either spool.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Saturday, September 17, 2016 - 08:19 pm:

There are two different 26-27 roadster/coupe spare tire mounts. A four hole and a three hole. According to the research I have been doing on changes to the Improved models, the four hole came first. So far the latest four hole I have found on good existing original cars is Jan 5-1926 and the earliest three hole is April 1926. So the change should have happened sometime during the aprox four months of Jan thru April 1926. The 30x3-1/2 inch tires were available till end of production on the Improved models. have fun and be safe .... Donnie Brown .....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Saturday, September 17, 2016 - 08:38 pm:

I should have said there are two different spare tire mount bases. and there also are two different y-mounts for wood wheel rims, one for 21 inch rims and one for 30x3-1/2 inch rims ... both y-mounts will fit either base..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, September 17, 2016 - 09:15 pm:

I understand what he meant by it has 5 holes now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Rodell, Sr.- Wisconsin on Saturday, September 17, 2016 - 11:19 pm:

There are two different sizes of the 3 hole mounts for roadsters and coupes, in addition to the 4 hole mount. I believe that Ford increased the length to give more clearance when opening the trunk lid, especially when using "oversized" tires.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration