GPS as a speedometer

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: GPS as a speedometer
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Eddie on Thursday, September 15, 2016 - 11:32 am:

Anyone out there using a GPS to record the speed traveled?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Jorgensen, Batavia, IL on Thursday, September 15, 2016 - 11:36 am:

Yes Uylsee speedometer and smart phone. No advertising version $2.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Thursday, September 15, 2016 - 11:37 am:

Been using a Garmen Legend for several years. Only problem is I forget to turn it off and battery runs down.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Thursday, September 15, 2016 - 12:13 pm:

I use DigiHUD on my Samsung Galaxy S7
It will display the speed on the full screen and the brightness can be easily adjusted.
It works very well and the best part is that it was free!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Govoni on Thursday, September 15, 2016 - 12:16 pm:

I use a free app called Dashboard for all my old cars. Seems to work well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Thursday, September 15, 2016 - 12:25 pm:

Speedo app works fine on my iPhone, and it was free.

I also purchased a "wireless" bicycle speedo that I have not messed with yet because the display is too small.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, September 15, 2016 - 12:26 pm:

You can also use a bike speedometer. Mine is a Cat Eye Velo 5 and cost about $20.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Thursday, September 15, 2016 - 12:29 pm:

Speedo

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Thursday, September 15, 2016 - 12:37 pm:

I like my Garmin because it retains max speed, and lots of other trip info besides it will tell me how to find my way back home or to the lunch stop if I get lost on tours.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Thursday, September 15, 2016 - 12:43 pm:

I have my speed warning set for 70 MPH so I don't go too fast when I encounter a hill.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Thursday, September 15, 2016 - 01:37 pm:

I used a bicycle speedometer also. They are designed for 'large diamater' wheels, etc, and are usually adjustable for size of wheel. Mine had a magnet tiewrapped to the wheel spoke, and a sensor hung on the axle components, but didn't line up, when going around corners.

I saw someone at the OCF with the exact setup I had, except they had it mounted on the passenger side, rather than the driver's side. ... and they did a better job of concealing it than I did.

I used a speedometer app on my Droid also, but the car bounces around so much, I didn't want to take a chance of it falling out of the mount.

Chris has a good idea..... just cut out that image, and paste it on your dash! It'll be accurate 50% of the time! ;-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Wilson - Omaha NE on Thursday, September 15, 2016 - 03:15 pm:

I use a bike speedometer. I made a bracket to mount off of the horn bracket. I used a piece of strap to mount the sender and clamped it to the rear radius rod with hose clamps. I screwed a magnet to a wood spoke. works great.
I checked it with a GPS app (free) on my phone and it is dead on.
A wireless bike speedometer probably will not work as it sender and receiver will be too far apart to connect.
You can get a cell phone holder that plugs into a power port to hold your phone if you choose to use a GPS app. A power port is cheap to pick up at the auto parts store. and can be mounted under the dash, or in a corner

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, September 15, 2016 - 03:16 pm:

I made a bracket a couple of weeks ago so I could use the Garmin GPS from the daily beater on the primitive pickup:

Dddd

With a lighter socket under the former coil box, now battery box it charges fine with 6 volts :-)

Sss

No photo evidence the top speed is past 60 mph with the new carb - got to use both hands at that white knuckle speed, feels so much more relaxed at 50 even though that's kind of crazy too :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson on Thursday, September 15, 2016 - 04:13 pm:

Like Gene says the Garmin works fine. I bought an accessory clip to hang the Garmin between the windshields. A cigarette lighter plug is attached to the steeing column hidden under the dashboard.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Zahorik on Friday, September 16, 2016 - 04:38 pm:

I tried a bike speedometer, but the noise from the ignition would reset the thing and I had to reprogram it many times. I picked up a $20 Garmin on Craigs list and mounted over head. Been using it for maybe 2-3 years. I like it, Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Adey on Friday, September 16, 2016 - 05:22 pm:

Another free app is "mapmyride" - It is made for cyclists and works very well for T driving. Tracks route and map it out later on my laptop. I use the calorie burn readings as a measure of my tooth chatter at higher speeds! :-) Shows speed all along the route. Nice app... I also use DigiHUD Fred mentioned - this is great for instant speed readout.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Friday, September 16, 2016 - 09:02 pm:

I downloaded the free speedometer app on my I-phone. It's display looks like Chris Laughery's post above. Easy to see and accurate according to my modern car. I just got home, got up to 32 mph coming from my friend's house. It's so hilly, curvy and bumpy that's about all you can do on one little stretch then it's back to 20-25.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, September 16, 2016 - 09:41 pm:

Several people at the OCF pointed out to me that my speed o meter gear was not engaged with the gear on the wheel.I said that org stuff is all expensive and what do i care how far or fast i'm going?? When bought our 14 had a very accurate bicycle speedometer but it was red plastic and it had to go!! bud. PS,My cell phone is on the Amish plain!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, September 16, 2016 - 11:31 pm:

I've never had the slightest problem of ignition interference. The speedometer agrees with the police radar sign, and the odometer coincides nicely with the local roads that are laid out in one-mile squares. The only problem I've had with these was when wires got damaged. One time that was from some road hazard, and the other time when I tightened a shackle nut without noticing the speedometer wire under it.

I swiped the idea for mounting the sensor and magnet from Dan Treece.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie Dill on Saturday, September 17, 2016 - 12:41 am:

I inherited my T from my uncle. He was a pilot and antique car / tractor enthusiast. His plane was a 1946 T-6 Texan. I think his real passion was piston engine vehicles. All types. The older the better. He used one of his early airplane GPS as a speedometer in the T that I now own: Even on a custom T Steering column mounting bracket.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Saturday, September 17, 2016 - 01:03 am:

Again a warning if you are using a 12 volt generator it could spike up to 18 volts and fry your GPS. I know that for a fact.

We put a high zoot reader on our generator and averaged 15 volts. So if you are running a 12 volt generator from an early 60's or late 50's car, run the GPS on a separate battery not in the charging circuit or else you will be getting a new GPS..

spike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Saturday, September 17, 2016 - 11:40 am:

I like to use my Garman. The elevation feature is interesting when driving in the mountains. You also get an instant map when needed. PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John V. Dow on Sunday, October 09, 2016 - 06:45 pm:

I just bought a BRYTON Rider 100 bicycle GPS speedometer/odometer thru Ebay for $63. It is very small(but large enough to see the readout)unobtrusive, wireless, rechargeable, black in color and works like a champ!! I mounted it on the inside of my '23 Touring windshield in the lower left corner using a sticky 7/8" Velcro spot. Installation took seconds, required no modification to the car and removes with a yank. Great value

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Sunday, October 09, 2016 - 07:41 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Sunday, October 09, 2016 - 07:56 pm:

I just look over and ask the guy who is jogging down the road next to me how fast is he running and then I deduct a mile per hour or so and that's how I get my speed reading

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie Dill on Sunday, October 09, 2016 - 08:02 pm:

My GPS runs on AA Batteries. No worries about voltage spikes from the generator. And I wonder if that snazzy wood mounting block on the steering column is original early Ford. It matches the wood wheel very well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Sunday, October 09, 2016 - 09:48 pm:

I have a garmin for long travels and use a free app on my IPhone. The app I have is simple, called Speed Box . Large numerals and odometer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Sunday, October 09, 2016 - 11:08 pm:

I have the same setup as Steve, except had the magnet mounted way ip further on the fellow, and had a somewhat wonky looking bent hangar bracket for the sensor.... worked great, but occasionally rattled out of alignment.
I should try the much more 'compact' setup Seven has!

I talked to the local bicycle shop, an they said the new wireless versions don't have the ran gf erwin or power.. they don't even usually work if the sensor is mounted on the rear wheel. It is intentional, so they don't pick up... or create interference with b other close proximity cyclists. Likely would never forget through all the metal on the T.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration