Another transmission question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Another transmission question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Addington on Thursday, September 15, 2016 - 05:48 pm:

I have adjusted the low band so the peddle stops about 1" -1.5" from the floor, adjusted the neutral linkage as best as I could, according to the book, considering the wear it has in the peddle hole where the linkage goes through, and since I was seeing a slight amount of slip in hi I adjusted the clutch plates up 1/2 turn. Everything is now working a lot better, except now my neutral position when using the peddle is very short. There is a very short spot where it is actually in neutral. Slightly farther down and the low band is wanting to start to engauge and slightly up and high wants to start to engauge. So is this normal or do I need to readjust something? How much travel should the peddle have, as you push it down, from where it actually goes into neutral and where the low band starts to engauge? Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, September 15, 2016 - 06:01 pm:

You might be able to adjust the low pedal a little further down to get a slightly wider neutral range, but don't go too far. After you adjust it down a bit, have a helper press the low pedal down hard while you watch the low speed linkage. If the linkage tries to go "over center", it can cause the low pedal to stick to the floor, locking you in low gear.

If you don't have enough adjustment left, you can try fabricating a longer low speed link, as discussed in this thread:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/478111.html?1410348928

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Thursday, September 15, 2016 - 06:34 pm:

You can adjust to a "lost neutral position" where your transmission will always be in high or low and starting the engine is almost impossible.

Loosen the low band a little for a wider neutral zone.

Then the link may also need a slight adjustment.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration