Old Photo - T era Gas Station

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Photo - T era Gas Station
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Friday, September 16, 2016 - 12:50 pm:

This was Stuart's Texaco across the street from my Grandfather's place. apparently the pumps and signage had not been installed when this was taken. Sadly the building did not survive.
West Yellowstone
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis Byron, Georgia on Friday, September 16, 2016 - 01:14 pm:

Rich, since that hasn't survived this picture is begging you to bring it back to life complete with period cars and signage in one of your great paintings. This would be one colorful painting!

Howard Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bourgeois on Friday, September 16, 2016 - 02:53 pm:

I see 4 visible pumps in the first two islands.
The last island has a Pennzoil sign. I don't have a clue that it would be used for.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tod Wirth - Richfield, WI on Friday, September 16, 2016 - 03:06 pm:

I count 6 "visible" gas pumps. They are nicely hidden by the stone columns that support the porte cochere and the free standing island. I also see a "Pennzoil" sign under the roof of the island. Looks like they did a nice job of trying to blend this gas station into the local architecture.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Friday, September 16, 2016 - 03:50 pm:

OK, I see pumps now. The Garage sign is also in the "Deliveries" photo I posted earlier. The other picture "Shot a Goose...." was taken to the right about where it says Barbecue. I am guessing all three were taken about 1933.
Howard, I have plans to do some paintings of these buildings when I find time.
Thanks
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, September 16, 2016 - 07:16 pm:

Looks like it would have been in a National Park, or nearby.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Friday, September 16, 2016 - 07:19 pm:

I think Larry is right. The first location I thought of is Yosemite.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Friday, September 16, 2016 - 07:26 pm:

Great photograph !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, September 16, 2016 - 07:36 pm:

Well, since Rich is at one of the entrances to Yellowstone, I'd say that was a pretty good guess. now behind the photographer, from Rich's description is his Grandads's place, which has survived (I think)! (hint, Rich, post another photo!) :-)
David D.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, September 16, 2016 - 09:58 pm:

Nice photo Richard! Great Stone work :-) Shame it didn't survive:-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Friday, September 16, 2016 - 10:20 pm:

Well, since I still own part interest I don't want to take advantage of the forum but as an interesting piece of history this is Granddad's store founded in 1908.

I did a painting of the front building posted previously.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration