Fix a flat for tube tires

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Fix a flat for tube tires
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kirk on Friday, September 16, 2016 - 04:15 pm:

I read some older threads about using fix a flat in T tires and the consensus was not to do it but that was for the regular stuff meant for tubeless tire.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/305502.html?1349750715

Has anyone tried this stuff, fix a flat for bikes?

http://www.fixaflat.com/us/product-details.php?id=4

It's meant for bicycles tires with tubes?
I want it for a temporary repair. Just to move it around the yard, maybe take it around the block, slow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Friday, September 16, 2016 - 04:31 pm:

Is this just a junk tube?it will not have enough pressure to inflate the tire to hold it on the rim.youll have to add more air. How fast does it deflate?what size tirr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, September 16, 2016 - 04:37 pm:

In my opinion, considering that Model T tires (at least the 30 inch tires) have less volume, but higher pressure than a modern car tire, you might be better off with a can sized for modern car tires.

For the Ts with lower pressure "balloon" tires, you might want to look at a can sized for motorcycle tires.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kirk on Friday, September 16, 2016 - 05:05 pm:

The air comes out as fast as I put it in. What aggravates me is I just finished installing sure-stop brakes and was testing it out but now this. I was driving it in the back yard and heard a pop I thought I caught the edge of the sidewalk and maybe I did but that might have damaged and already bad tube.

It seems as soon as I finish one thing another problem pops up.

The bottom line is I need new spokes and new tires but I was hoping to drive it around the block once but I can't do it with a flat. If it was a slow leak I could deal with it.
I temped to try fix a flat and deal with the consequences later.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, September 16, 2016 - 05:08 pm:

Typically when you have a flat on a tube type tire the tube is ruined if you drive even a few feet afterwards. It will typically pull the valve stem out of the tube.

Be sure you check tire pressure before every day's driving. You will eliminate 99% of flat tires by keeping them properly inflated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Friday, September 16, 2016 - 05:15 pm:

If it comes out as fast as you put it in, there is about zero chance fix a flat will do anything but make a sticky mess.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kirk on Friday, September 16, 2016 - 05:57 pm:

Sadly Jim I realize that but was hoping for a quick temporary fix

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Friday, September 16, 2016 - 06:34 pm:

On one of the Texas T Party tours I pulled a locust thorn from a front tire then drove quickly to a gas station, bought a tube of Slime and put in in. It worked fine and made a permanent fix, It was the ordinary slime meant for tubeless tires. On my tractor front tires I got so many thorna

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration