Took a ride in Rusty yesterday--good fun!!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Took a ride in Rusty yesterday--good fun!!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, September 16, 2016 - 08:35 pm:

Was in Grass Valley tuning pianos and gave Terry H. a call before heading home, "Come on over!" says he, so OK. it's just a block or so off my route home. So he says, " I need gas in Rusty, you drive!" "Um, no, not with this knee," says I, "but let's go for a spin!" It's been a few years since I drove a T and my knee was giving me fits at the end of the day. So we start her up, and dang, there's a miss, a BAD miss, OK, coil checking time, Hmm one isn't doin' a thang, so drop in the rebuilt spare--uh oh, it also isn't vibrating. Well a quick exchange of coils, and, yep, it's the coil. Well, heck, here's two outa the garage, maybe they'll work. Ok, fire on all four and out the driveway. Uh oh, up the hill we're back to three, the capacitor is likely bad in that "off the dusty shelf" coil. But we go get gas, and of course, it's a parade! Then over the the yogurt shop, YUUUUMMM. Terry won't hear of me paying--but then his hearings isn't the best. . . :-)
So we're sitting out on the porch of the shop, shooting the breeze and watching folks gawk at Rusty. One guy comes over and says, "You're the only two here that look like you might know this car." So we talk to him a bit, then it's time to crank 'er up (battery is a bit weak so hand crank time), and she sounds pretty good, so "let's go look at the dam!" That's about a 4 mile or so drive, down a hill, up a hill and down a hill. Hmm, the coil really doesn't like to fire under a load, but we get there anyhow. Turn around and just then "clinkety-clink!" "What was that??" "I dunno, almost sounded like the fan blade hitting something for a second." Oh well, it's gone now, so up the road--oooh boy, that coil is really not doing us much good. At the top of the hill we stop to swap cols for another "off the dusty shelf" coil and DAMN!!! one headlight rim & lens is missing--ah ha! That was that Clinkety sound! OK, coil swap, hmm, that sounds better. Zoom down the hill, but there's one more up hill to the main road (Terry's house is across the main road a short piece). And about halfway up, the "new" coil also starts giving us trouble. Well, back to the barn, hop in the modern truck and back to the dam (damn!) site. Yep, there's the ring in the parking lot, and beside it some shattered, slightly purple, glass. Dang Dang Dang!!!
But, like most T drives, it was a fun outing, good company too (at least from my perspective; Terry might have a different slant on the company!)
So, more projects for Terry, look for some parts at the swap meet, and drop some coils off to the Barrett's for rebuilding. I'm heading up to my storage garage in a few minutes to see if I can't find some spares to give Terry; think I have some, but heck, I never seem to know what's in there anymore!! Lotsa player piano parts right now though!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Lovejoy, So Cal on Saturday, September 17, 2016 - 12:58 am:

sounds like it was fun, I hope to do some of the same this coming week

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, September 17, 2016 - 03:14 am:

So, are you and or Terry going to the Chevy club swap meet in Auburn? Supposed to be this Sunday?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, September 17, 2016 - 10:40 pm:

Wayne,
Yes and YES!! See you there?
David D.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, September 17, 2016 - 11:52 pm:

Probably not. Too broke to go. I was hoping to take some non-T stuff I have had, but the past few weeks have been difficult and I didn't find enough time to get things ready to go. So, hopefully, I will get some more work done on the wheels for the '15 instead!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Sunday, September 18, 2016 - 12:01 am:

I hope to tomorrow,if I can get Bendix cap screws at ace hardware mine weren't in my new order from langs. So if anyone knows the size and pitch and if that's a hardware store item I would appreciate the Info. So I can ride tomorrow. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, September 18, 2016 - 08:41 am:

Tim there's a metric size allen screw that is close enough to work. Take one of your original screws to the local Home depot and they have them in stainless. You can match up the threads. I don't recall what the numbers are.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Sunday, September 18, 2016 - 09:59 am:

Tim,

The Bendix cap screw is a #14 - 24 thread which is the same screw and thread size as the brass Magneto magnet keeper bolt that screws into the flywheel. I just checked the hogshead on my car that we pulled the starter out of Wednesday. It is not metric but I am sure Royce is correct about getting something that will fit.

The cap screws were all buggered up on mine and made it hard to get them out so I ordered a set of those from Lang's last Thursday and received them yesterday. They are the proper size and thread.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, September 18, 2016 - 07:12 pm:

Well, wasn't much at the swap meet; fairly poor turnout of sellers, but looked like lots of buyers. Only a few vendors with T parts, but Terry did score some headlight lenses--the only ones there, I think! I gave him the bucket springs that I had stashed away, so he's good to go there, & he met Erik B. so the coils are on their way to Rodgers for rebuilding. Barney should be healthy again soon. I bought a screwdriver ended Ford script pliers, a top front bow clamp bracket (repro) and another wall clock needed restoration, but in a nice walnut case. The seller threw in a rear fender in poor shape, but might come in handy--it was on it's way to the scrap pile, so one save!
Hit a deer (fawn) on the way to the meet, so am about to go outside and see if I can loosen the bumper and put it right again. Did loose a short piece of front end trim too--rats!!!!--but it could have been worse!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, September 18, 2016 - 11:20 pm:

Bumper looks pretty good now, will have to wait for a full day and more tools to get 100%, meantime, I'll look for a replacement for the missing piece of plastic trim. More time away from the T!!! AUGH!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, September 19, 2016 - 04:45 am:

The correct screws for the bendix cover and the ring gear has #14-24 thread, that's 0.242" outer diameter or 6.15 mm. A M6 screw has 6 mm outer diameter or 0.236" outer diameter and about 25 tpi so a M6 will go in but gets tight after some threads. That can be a good thing for the bendix cover since it won't loosen up as easy - and a large oil leak at the bendix cover can get serious real quick..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Monday, September 19, 2016 - 06:40 pm:

It's hard to get an Allen wrench in there to tighten those screws so I whittle a long flat stick to go in across the wide part of the hex and twist it up by hand until it is almost in and then finish it up with a wrench. It would take all day to twist and remove that wrench six times a revolution. The long T handle ones are too short to reach the screws. The screws are colored black and are in the little pull-out trays.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 12:47 am:

David was planning to go bUT changed my mind
Been decent meet in the past
Sunday being my only day off now it's 5gets pretty full

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 12:27 pm:

Bob,
Probably wouldn't have been worth the drive over from Sparks. Speaking of that, my cousin's are due here from Carson in about two hours, Bike trip for them. One is from Florida, and doesn't expect to get out here again for a long time--want's to see my place and my cars. Since right now none are running, I've arranged a drive in a '17 roadster of a friend of mine. They sound pumped for that opportunity!
Any luck on the speedster? I keep plugging it to folks I know, but everyone seems to be broke right now!
Gee, and the government says the economy is improving. . . ???
Nah, not going there!! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 08:00 pm:

David, Rusty looks great with both headlights lensed (real word?). I used the $3 lens and your spring, the $15 lens went onto the shelf. Now to paint that new water pump.... no not for Rusty, a hand pump for the garden!

TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 09:13 pm:

Terry, Great--I hope you put a spring in the other headlamp too! If it's all working right, the rim should almost snap into place as you turn it to lock in. You shouldn't be able to turn it clockwise without pushing in at the same time.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration