Model T Ford Service Manual

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Model T Ford Service Manual
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Trent Boggess on Friday, September 16, 2016 - 08:47 pm:

Recently, there has been a lot of interest on this forum on the Ford Service Manual. Over the years I have picked up several, and I thought I would share pictures of them with you.

greenmanual

This is the first manual I ever purchased, and I have had it almost 50 years. At that time they came with the green cover you see here. It was published by Polyprints. You can also see that it has had lots of use. Lots!

yellow manual

I picked this copy up in the late 1970's, and it too is a Polyprints. By this time the color of the cover had been changed to a yellow/tan. It is the same manual, just a different cover.

hardbound1925

I also have been able to pick up several original copies of the Ford Service book. The ones I have are hard bound, but are otherwise the same as the recent reprints. There are two versions of the hard bound, differing in copy right dates. This one is copy righted 1925.

insidepages

Larry Smith commented that the pictures in the original hard cover manuals appear to be sharper. I am in agreement with him on this one.

hardbound1926

This hard bound version of the manual has a copy right date of 1926. It does include material on the "Improved Cars". Unfortunately, the cover was exposed to moisture at one time.

People recently have referred to the Ford Service Manual as the "Bible". I think they may be thinking that all copies of the manual are referred to that way, but there is a version of the Ford Service book that Larry Smith and I call the "Bible" version.

It is called the "Bible" version because it is bound in fine soft leather, with gold leaf on the cover and on the edges. It looks a lot like a personal bible.

bibleversion

Several copies of the "bible" version of the Ford Service manual have survived. They are very scarce, and they usually have the name of the person they were given to on the cover in gold leaf. This one was originally given to Frank Hadas. If you do not recognize the name Frank Hadas go to the Benson Ford Research Center web site and take a look at the shipping invoice for Model T #1.

This copy of the Ford Service book was once owned by the man who tested Model T #1 before it left the Ford factory.

Respectfully submitted,

Trent Boggess

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, September 16, 2016 - 09:23 pm:

Thanks for posting. :-) My one and only (70's yellow/tan) has had so much use the binding was coming apart. I bought a small 3 ring binder and hole punched the pages. I took time to trim the pages just enough to cut off the binding material. Now when I use it it lays open and flat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, September 16, 2016 - 09:57 pm:

The one posted by Trent above is the same one I have. I have all my literature stacked in the kitchen on a shelf, and don't feel like getting it down, otherwise, I'd take a picture of it for you guys. I started off in this hobby with the same green cover Polyprints edition that Trent posted above. I loaned it to some one years ago and never got it back, however, I have a beat up used hard bound edition that I now use in the garage. Granted we no longer have the luxury of going to the parts counter to get what we need, but we do have Langs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, September 16, 2016 - 10:57 pm:

There's also Bruce's disk version. I think its pictures (right) are reproduced somewhat better than those in the black cover version (left).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Saturday, September 17, 2016 - 12:19 am:

I currently have five hardback copies of the Ford Service book. The bindings on two of them (one 1925 and one 1926 copyright) appear to have never been opened and there is no writing or oil smudges on the covers or inside. I used to have at least five more copies, but to reward new T owners in our club, I sold the newbees, one copy each for the nominal fee of $25.00 per book.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, September 17, 2016 - 12:31 am:

I just noticed something odd about Fig. 509. Anybody else see what's missing?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Matthiesen on Saturday, September 17, 2016 - 12:48 am:

It looks like there is no safety wire in the transmission. Hole in bolt for wire and no wire. Maybe work is still going on and they will get to it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Saturday, September 17, 2016 - 01:31 am:

Who was your bible version given to, Larry?

The Service Manual was also translated into several foreign languages. My Swedish version is a very poor reprint, so no picture.

..And then there's the easy to get online version: http://mtfci2002.readyhosting.com/manuals/Model_T_Service_Manual/mtsm.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, September 17, 2016 - 08:43 am:

Yes, there's no safety wire. But there's something else missing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, September 17, 2016 - 09:10 am:

The oil hole in the frame? I think that was discontinued at some point in the later cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, September 17, 2016 - 09:14 am:

I saw a hardbound version at Chickasha once, written in Spanish. It was for sale too, but I don't recall the price. It had a redish cover.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Saturday, September 17, 2016 - 09:14 am:

That is quite a difference in the picture quality. Always been one of my complaints about the Bible.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Saturday, September 17, 2016 - 10:01 am:

Brings back memories. I have the first one thats pictured with the green cover. Got it from JC Whitney. It has grease all over it. At that time they were selling rebuilt T transmissions for 75.00. That was back in the late 60's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, September 17, 2016 - 10:09 am:

Mike got it. I didn't realize that it was discontinued.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, September 17, 2016 - 10:23 am:

The frame on my cut-off Touring (built in January 1924) has the oil holes for the emergency brake crossbar. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Sanford - Lucas, TX on Saturday, September 17, 2016 - 11:57 am:

For those people who need larger print, the Ford Service book was reprinted in an 8 1/2 by 11 inch version with a blue and white cover. It had nice quality pictures. I got mine from http://www.themotorbookstore.com/19fomotsema.html last year for $20. There are other copies being sold on Amazon and Ebay which are very poor quality copies.

I have no interest in the Motor Book Store other than as a good source of a "large print" version of this very valuable resource.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Carter - South Jersey on Sunday, September 18, 2016 - 08:09 am:

There are at least three versions of the blue "Ford Service" manual that I know of:
v1 - 1925 copyright, 269 numbered pages
v2 - 1925 copyright, 296 numbered pages
v3 - 1926 copyright, 300 numbered pages

v2 is very much like v1 except that it adds one additional chapter at the end - chapter XLII - "Servicing the improved car" and updates the table of contents and index for the new additions.

v3 has more differences that v2 than I originally expected - the major changes that I noticed were:
1) The material before chapter I is reorganized,
2) The "improved car" section was moved up to chapter XXXI instead of being the last chapter and
3) The "Time Study" sections were deleted.

I thought the third change was particularly interesting in the 1926 version. One other change I noticed that I assume is related is that the Foreword has one additional phrase at the end: "while for the owner who performs his own repair work, the information will prove exceptionally instructive."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, September 19, 2016 - 03:09 pm:

I finally have a picture of my bible to share:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Matthiesen on Monday, September 19, 2016 - 05:24 pm:

Steve, Mike, Mark,
If and when this was done, or not done, by all frame manufactures I can't say but there is a Ford Archives note from 1921 that says the following:

APR 1,1921
Acc. 575, Box 14, #832, Ford Archives
Oil holes in the frame rails for the brake lever shaft discontinued.

My early to mid 1921 P&B made frame has the holes, this frame is drilled for both types of running board brackets. My 1925 frame, with no makers mark visible, but has the 2 hole hand brake quadrant does not have the oil holes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Monday, September 19, 2016 - 05:45 pm:

Starter switch

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Monday, September 19, 2016 - 05:49 pm:

That's what happens when I try to multi-task anymore. The oil hole came and went.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Monday, September 19, 2016 - 06:15 pm:

Great post. Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Trent Boggess on Monday, September 19, 2016 - 08:24 pm:

Larry Smith and I were trading emails this morning about the "Bible" versions of the Ford Service manual. In the course of the conversation, I remembered that the notice of the publication of the Ford Service book appeared in one of the Ford Service Bulletins. Here is a picture of the first page of the September 1925 issue of the Service Bulletin.

Servicebulletin

I also re-checked my "bible" copy and found that is identical to the 1925 hard cover copy. It does not contain any information on servicing the Improved Car. This suggests that at least my "bible" copy was printed in the later part of 1925, before the section on the Improved Car was added in 1926.

Respectfully Submitted,

Trent Boggess

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Monday, September 19, 2016 - 09:30 pm:

Beautiful Bibles guys. :-)

Missing bits:
One '27 frame I have (May '27 engine-matching numbers-2 hole quadrant) has the oil holes still but one of my 4 hole quadrant frames (no quadrant) has no oil holes...
Are the makers ID marks stamped on all frames? P-B for Parish Bingham etc. Please excuse the drift.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 03:01 am:

I'll have to look again, but I THINK my mostly all original '25 coupe has the oil holes for the E brake shaft. It's in storage right now, but I'm getting ready to get it back out soon. Dave

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration