1926 Fordor restore...another winter project

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 1926 Fordor restore...another winter project
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Saturday, September 17, 2016 - 12:14 pm:

This just arrived at my shop 2 days ago. The metal is as solid as one could hope, the wood however has been a home for some kind of wood boring insect. The wood looks pretty good on the outside but is powder on the inside. Should be a fun project...Fordor number 3 !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, September 17, 2016 - 01:07 pm:

Don, I always enjoy your threads, can't wait to see the progress on this one! :-O

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Saturday, September 17, 2016 - 01:13 pm:

There's nobody in the world more qualified to take this on. Who else has re-wooded two Fordors inside of three years?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Sunday, September 18, 2016 - 01:29 pm:

I too look forward to your restoration posts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, September 18, 2016 - 02:59 pm:

I, too, always look forward to and enjoy your lengthy threads and updates on these marvelous restorations that you accomplish.
And what are you trying to do? Be nominated as the patron saint of Fordors?
Only slightly off thread. How is the center-door?
All kidding aside, congratulations to you and the car! (For getting the best restorer available!)
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Sunday, September 18, 2016 - 03:41 pm:

Yeah thanks I think....not to sure i can keep doing these fordors and make it interesting. And Wayne the centerdoor is taking back seat again to this one. This car is going on the Glacier National Park tour next summer. So here we go again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, September 19, 2016 - 02:25 am:

Well, I don't know if it can help you to feel better about it or not. However, my '27 Paige has been shoved back for one project after another, or one reason or another, since 1967. Between family needs, medical bills, one car or another that I can throw together quickly and get back on tours with? One thing or another, I start working on it, and a couple months later, it is thrown onto the back burner again. I don't even want to think about how many years it has been. I think the car is about one third done now. At this rate, I will be 200 years old before I finish it!
But at least, your center-door is looking really nice so far!
Have fun my friend!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Monday, September 19, 2016 - 03:30 am:

Don, keep us posted. I have learned a lot from your previous posts. Nice project. Keep it up!!!! Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Monday, September 19, 2016 - 03:30 am:

Don, keep us posted. I have learned a lot from your previous posts. Nice project. Keep it up!!!! Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Monday, September 19, 2016 - 03:31 am:

Oops!Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Webb on Monday, September 19, 2016 - 06:03 am:

Hi Don
Can you please share a photo of where the back of the front seat joins the B pillar and the bracket that holds this to the sill
I am restoring one and am missing this detail
Thank you
Andrew

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Monday, September 19, 2016 - 07:21 am:

Hi Andrew,
There are no brackets for the front seat. It mounts directly to the "B" pillars. It does have a strip of wood aprox 1 1/2" wide and 1/2" thick that the screws sit in to give a smooth edge on the seat. Four screws on the end to the pillar. Here are some pic's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Monday, September 19, 2016 - 07:24 am:

Andrew let me know if this makes sense or if you need more info...db

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Monday, September 19, 2016 - 07:27 am:

Well if Dave Sonosky is interested this Fordor also had the battery hatch metal hold down mounted to it. I have to conclude this was a standard item of the day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Monday, September 19, 2016 - 06:46 pm:

My 26 Canadian Fordor has that metal piece on the battery door also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sosnoski on Monday, September 19, 2016 - 10:16 pm:

Don,

I just looked through the parts list.

T-19006 - Battery Trap Door Retainer

Used on 26-27 Fordor.

I didn't know the 26-27 Fordors had this.

Thanks for the info
Dave S.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Monday, September 19, 2016 - 10:27 pm:

Looks like a great stArt but I couldn't finish in 5 years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Friday, September 23, 2016 - 09:56 am:

These dang old cars just start multiplying and i don't know how to stop it. Just bought this 1919 Coupe. Needs wood and some little metal work. But for some sick reason I couldn't turn it down.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael D Peterson on Friday, September 23, 2016 - 11:01 am:

It's not an addiction... It's a hobby.
(Although, my wife would tend to disagree)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Friday, September 23, 2016 - 11:17 am:

" D " pillars are fab'd...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Friday, September 23, 2016 - 11:18 am:

Base frame is roughed in...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Paul on Friday, September 23, 2016 - 11:18 am:

Well Don, I could help you out of that problem by taking that coupe off your hands. I'm in Michigan too, so I feel I have to help a fellow Michigander.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Friday, September 23, 2016 - 11:30 am:

David, i'm not sure what i will do with it yet. Its a conversation piece sittin in the da barn. I didn't get the chassis, just the body but everything is pretty much there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnCodman on Friday, September 23, 2016 - 11:48 am:

Hi Don, What's with all of the holes in the dash?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Friday, September 23, 2016 - 11:53 am:

John, i'm not sure but the guy thinks the car was used on a farm. He says they were light switches for lighting up work areas...(whatever).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Macleod on Friday, September 23, 2016 - 11:23 pm:

I have a 26 Fordor that was my father's first car. Mine has not been used or driven in a couple years so I'm hoping that you can lend me some inspiration. I'll follow this thread with interest.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Saturday, September 24, 2016 - 08:10 am:

Eric, here's a link you might find helpful.
Prior Fordor restoration, it is a 1927 but same identical car.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/333919.html?1388852083

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Sunday, September 25, 2016 - 06:03 am:

Eric, I remember meeting you, but can't remember where. OCF? Jamboree in Escanaba?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Saturday, October 01, 2016 - 04:57 pm:

Doing some fitting. Fab'n the A pillars. All still in the rough stage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Sunday, October 02, 2016 - 08:12 am:

You work on "T's" in the winter? When do you drive them? Winter is the best T driving time around here! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Sunday, October 02, 2016 - 08:19 am:

Hah ! With chill factors at -40 and lower and salt covered roads, you don't see to many T's venturing about. I'm gonna have ta become a snow bird and move to Florida in the winter...like maybe you have a room for rent G.R. ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Sunday, October 02, 2016 - 08:27 am:

I would have to clean one out, you know spare parts piles keep growing!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Tuesday, October 18, 2016 - 04:17 pm:

Starting to put it together. Checking the skin for proper fit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Derocher on Tuesday, October 18, 2016 - 04:38 pm:

That bare metal skin tells me yer doing more than just a re-wood on that T Don. Looks like a paint job down the road. Oh the fun of wet sanding in a nice cool garage in the dead of winter! Looking Good, JD

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Tuesday, October 18, 2016 - 05:47 pm:

Hi JD, I'm doing the prep work but I doubt I could get it painted much before late spring. Last year it was close to June before it was warm enough to do any type of painting. So I suggested he find someone with a heated paint room ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Tuesday, October 18, 2016 - 08:02 pm:

Great coupe project. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Tuesday, October 18, 2016 - 08:17 pm:

Hi Tim, the coupe is going to be after I finish the '22 Centerdoor. The centerdoor has been taking back seat. Then I hope to get to the '19 Coupe. If I live long enough.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Sutton on Tuesday, October 18, 2016 - 10:32 pm:

Don I really think you should push back the centerdoor and help me assemble my Grandpa's '29 Reo Flying Cloud coupe. He copied the wood but I have no idea where to start putting it together. The chassis is done and the cowl is on it - the rest is in the rafters.

Craig

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 04:49 am:

Craig that sounds like a real neat project. Just do what I do, start from the ground up one piece at a time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Sutton on Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 10:03 am:

I cheated when it came time for my own closed car project. I bought an improved Tudor - no wood skeleton for me to screw up. When I have room to get all the parts in one place I'll post pictures of the Reo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 06:08 pm:

I would love to see pictures of the REO! The first running car I owned was a 1929 REO master model C semi-sport coupe. I even drove the car to high school some of the time. Over 40 years ago, I sold that car to fund the restoration of an earlier Studebaker I had gotten. Although I had decided that '29 was a bit new for my hobby interests, the REO has always held a place in my memory an I always enjoy seeing them.
The REO I had was a great running car, powerful, and fast on the highway. The original interior was nice, but the rest of the car needed quite a bit of work. The car resurfaced about a dozen years ago, looking almost exactly as it had when I sold it. I do hope it found a good home and eventual full restoration (except, that interior, which needed so little and needed to be preserved).
Good luck restoring your REO!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Wednesday, October 26, 2016 - 04:20 pm:

Starting to do some more fitting and cutting the top wood outer pieces.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Derocher on Wednesday, October 26, 2016 - 04:33 pm:

Looks like that new bandsaw is working out real good for you Don. JD We are enjoying a little rain and snow combination today up here, and working outside on ladders up just at the second story. Looks like autumn may be fading soon....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Wednesday, October 26, 2016 - 04:51 pm:

Just WOW, Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph A. Stearns on Wednesday, October 26, 2016 - 05:43 pm:

Don, you are just having more fun than a man should have. Looking good. I am slow but if I hurry and get my Roadster done then I bet another something or other would probably show up.
Have you thought about sectioning off part of your barn and adding some heat or maybe you already have that can't remember.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Wednesday, October 26, 2016 - 06:30 pm:

Thanks JD, Gary and Joe. Joe I have heat and that motorhome pretty much sections the barn off....:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, October 26, 2016 - 06:43 pm:

Dog-gone Don, that is nice! Very nice!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By n maver on Wednesday, October 26, 2016 - 07:45 pm:

Don I know this is a longshot but by chance did you restored this car in the past ???

N

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By n maver on Wednesday, October 26, 2016 - 07:49 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By n maver on Wednesday, October 26, 2016 - 07:50 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By n maver on Wednesday, October 26, 2016 - 07:56 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By n maver on Wednesday, October 26, 2016 - 07:58 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Thursday, October 27, 2016 - 05:00 am:

Hi N, no that's not one of mine. I've only been in the hobby for about 5 years now. Somebody did a nice job on that car. Do you know where it was done?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, October 27, 2016 - 12:39 pm:

Hmm, AFAIK, all that shiny clear-coated wood underneath should be flat black. The wood was coated with a preservative, and it was usually just flat black when dry. But looks great!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Thursday, October 27, 2016 - 02:52 pm:

Hi Dave, it will get painted once all the braces are fitted and such. Everything is still in a rough stage because I want to be able to adjust the fitment of the doors. What does "AFAIK" mean? (keep it clean) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, October 27, 2016 - 04:14 pm:

Don,
I was posting about N's car. The light wood does make it easier to see things under there though.
AFAIK = As Far AS I Know; one of the few acronyms I use.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By n maver on Saturday, October 29, 2016 - 08:41 am:

Don first of all let me say you truly are a wonderful artist the way you can restore the woodwork on these fabulous cars. Duluth, MN is where I purchased the car from a dealer and he didn't have very much history on the car .The car hasn't arrived in Scotland yet when it does I will take some better pictures of the vehicle and see if anybody recognises it I'm confident someone will have more information about this car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Saturday, October 29, 2016 - 12:45 pm:

Wow N, thanks for the kind words. It looks like you made a good purchase on the Fordor. I hope someone will fill you in on it. These closed cars are so special to own. Mine has been in some real extreme downpours and other than the split windshield throwing some drops they stay nice and dry inside and are very fun to drive. Please keep us informed and if I can help you out just holler. Stay safe !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, October 29, 2016 - 01:24 pm:

Don,
Thought I should mention, since I've done a few Model A Fordors (wood framed bodies and doors) I really appreciate the work you're doing--and am amazed at how quickly you are doing it! Wood-framed bodies are very solid, with good wood in them, but the labor involved is intense! Also, if in an accident, it's hard to bend splintered wood back into the original shape! :-)
I have a few wood projects ahead of me too--my '25 roadster (fortunately, not much"odd shaped" wood in that one), 16 touring, and then the top for my '26 tudor. I'm tackling the '25 first. If I can finish re-framing my living room this winter, I get to work on the 25! (SWMBO decrees it so, she's tired of looking at studs and joists. . . . I guess I can understand that. . .)
So; keep up the great work & keeping us informed of the progress!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Saturday, October 29, 2016 - 04:16 pm:

Thanks much Dave, as mentioned I do enjoy the wood work the most. I think the A pillars are the biggest challenge. My skills are very much strained getting them "close enough". But I know a few that would spend a lot more time in a bar. So this keeps me self satisfied as I'm sure it does you. Stay safe...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Saturday, November 05, 2016 - 07:16 am:

Moving on to the "B" pillars. Fitting the doors and sills. All the while working on the top wood.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, November 05, 2016 - 04:23 pm:

I have never tackled a four-door sedan re-wood. Fortunately, my Paige, which was in fairly poor shape overall, had solid original wood (we got it out of the field just in time). I have re-wooded several other cars (including a couple all wood bodies), and a couple of trucks. A Fordor, more than any other, is a complicated balancing act, trimming, making, and fitting, from six directions all at once!
You are the master! And I too always enjoy your updates.
Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Saturday, November 05, 2016 - 05:45 pm:

You nailed it Wayne. I can't do the sills without doing the B pillar, can't do the B pillar without doing the top rail, can't do the top rail without lining up the A and C pillars, can't do the A pillar without doing the header...so on and so on. It becomes a tangled web real quick. So one has to shut off his brain and go with the flow...fun fun stuff.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 11:36 am:

Doing some top wood antics. Lots of detailed cuts but seems to be coming along ok.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 12:15 pm:

Better slow down, Booth. It's going to be done before it snows.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By n maver on Sunday, December 04, 2016 - 06:09 am:

Don how's progress ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Sunday, December 04, 2016 - 10:05 am:

Hi Norrie, I've got all the wood ready to go. The chassis is being worked on along with the engine/transmission elsewhere. I'm going to wait for the chassis to put it all together. The doors are critical and the body will need to be shimmed in order to get them fitted correctly. Then the top wood can be permanently fixed. Thanks for asking. Stay safe. I am getting some glass installed on the Centerdoor though....finally.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, December 04, 2016 - 10:25 am:

"The wood looks pretty good on the outside but is powder on the inside."

I wonder if there's an effective treatment to repel wood-boring bugs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Sunday, December 04, 2016 - 11:43 am:

Every location has its own pests to content with but I firmly believe that sealing the wood is a must. I use the Rustbullet on the wood as well as the metal. It is moisture driven and is a heavy metal sealant. If you get a chance to examine Rustbullet you will find it amazing as far as how solid it really is. Kiln dryed wood is a must because the wood boring insects live off the moisture in the wood. Liken it to bottom paint on wood boats. We use copper bottom paints in the Great Lakes to keep the growth of bottom scum and wood worms etc from attaching to wood. Just my thoughts and I have no research or knowledge of any research to prove any of it. I do have experience with the bottom paints and they do what they are advertised to do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hank Cook on Friday, December 09, 2016 - 07:08 pm:

Don,

Your work looks very good. I am just starting with a 26 Fordor wood restoration. Purchased top wood but hope to use pattern of rotted door posts to make new ones. I am new at this.

thanks.

Piloto

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hank Cook on Friday, December 09, 2016 - 07:11 pm:

Don,

Your work looks very good. I am just starting with a 26 Fordor wood restoration. Purchased top wood but hope to use pattern of rotted door posts to make new ones. I am new at this.

thanks.

Piloto

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Friday, December 09, 2016 - 08:03 pm:

Hank, you don't have to have a full blown wood shop. The handiest tools I have found are a router, plunge saw, band saw and a hand held electric planer. I have always had one goal to finish the project and that is to do something everyday, big or small. It is a matter of mindset and a whole lot of patience but its nothing you can't do and have fun doing it. The reward in the end may be self serving but its worth it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Saturday, December 10, 2016 - 12:16 am:

Don, that's incredible work.Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Saturday, December 10, 2016 - 05:13 am:

Thanks much Tim, it is similar to a recurring nightmare. I'm amazed at how quickly I forget the amount of tweaking, twirking and twisting these fordors require. The three 26-27 fordors I've done have some drastic differences in the wood design. This one had a much narrower cross member than the prior two. I now have to go back and build it up so the wood base aligns with the frame brackets, yet the front and the back are correct on the frame. I'll add some pictures of it. I copied the wood base off from the original base and yet it doesn't fit the chassis mounts correctly in the middle. Just another mystery or more likely a screw up on my part... :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Monday, December 12, 2016 - 07:43 am:

Welp, I finally got the correct chassis to mount the body on. Not good, looks like I need to back-up a few steps. I was off 1/8" inch on mounting the base of the "C" pillar on both sides. That 1/8" inch translated into the rear doors being off just shy of a 1/2". Two steps forward and one step back. Oh well its nothing that can't be corrected but I won't attempt another Fordor without the chassis to put the body together.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Derocher on Monday, December 12, 2016 - 07:59 am:

I wondered if that was the real frame it was sitting on or the jig it came on. Get the path to the barn shoveled, fire up the stove and mix up some glue! You'll have those doors fitted by lunchtime... JD still shoveling

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Monday, December 12, 2016 - 08:17 am:

This is the correct frame, the other was a earlier model and wasn't usable for a template. But we will get it straightened out either by slight corrections or a sledge hammer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Monday, December 12, 2016 - 08:32 am:

"I won't attempt another Fordor without the chassis to put the body together". Atta Boy Don!! You're already looking forward to the next one!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Monday, December 12, 2016 - 09:44 am:

I need to be more careful phrasing things...:-( Ed-war-do !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rex Pyles on Monday, December 12, 2016 - 12:10 pm:

I've been looking Don....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Monday, December 12, 2016 - 01:53 pm:

As long as its just lookin Rex. I'm thinkin it is time to retire like 6 years ago...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Andulics on Monday, December 12, 2016 - 01:58 pm:

Not intending to hijack this post, but still looking for a passenger front door panel, gray with red pinstripe or any left over upholstery material the same for a 26/27 Fordor. Thanks, Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Monday, December 12, 2016 - 02:29 pm:

OK Don, It's winter you can start your Fordor project now! :-)

Looking Good!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Monday, December 12, 2016 - 02:58 pm:

Joe, this car didn't have the door panels. I don't know if it did when he bought it. Sorry.

Dennis, 7" of white stuff this morning. So yeah, its time to get something done... :-) Thx.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 08:42 am:

I think there must be a special place in Heaven for anyone who can put new wood in a Closed T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 09:03 am:

Yes Richard there is a special place in Heaven, it's called the "Wooden Harp Repair Shop"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 09:18 am:

Ohh boy~

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 09:26 am:

Look at the bright side Don, When your in Heaven you can pull some strings to get the job done! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 11:16 am:

I'll have to wait and see if the good Lord forgives me for my "shop language". Its unavoidable at times and no matter how hard I try to control it... its like bending over to hear a toot you didn't even know you had in ya.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 01:03 pm:

His name is mentioned from time to time in my shop too.

"Save your sawdust to put on the floor under the oil pan."

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Goddard on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 02:24 pm:

Hello Don,
I am new to the Hobby/Lifestyle. I am looking to Purchase my First Model t in the very near future. The coupes are my favorite. Any chance you may have or know someone who might have 1 for sale. You do such amazing work. Just thought I would reach out and ask. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you and keep up the great work and posts.
Paul G

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 03:22 pm:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/3487/702245.html?1481657710

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 04:10 pm:

Hi Paul, the first place I would check is Craigslist. I would also check with any local clubs. They would know the car and the history of whats been done on it. The 26-27 Coupe is a fun little car to drive and its equipped with brakes and very little wood involved. You can also join some of the Model T groups on Facebook and something might come up in your area. Thanks for your kind words...its always appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 10:08 am:

DAVID SOSNOSKI....the floor boards on this 26 are in really good shape. The only problem being the termites. I measured both rear seat boards and they are 9/16" thick. I know you had asked on the other Fordors and thought you might like to know about this one. Hope all is right in your world and please stay safe. P.S. they are straight equal width boards without any fancy day Linderman machine wacked out joints. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, December 15, 2016 - 02:09 am:

" P.S. they are straight equal width boards without any fancy day Linderman machine wacked out joints. "

Aw, those can't be original Ford factory! :-)

Sorry to read of your "fitting" issues. I know that when I was re-wooding my runabout (a practice sheet compared to a Fordor sedan), I was restoring the chassis in one workspace, and the body in another, at the same time. So, for re-wooding the body, I had a spare frame sitting up on a pair of sawhorses. I had checked both frames for straight and square, but still? When it came time to move the body over, I made a nasty face, crossed my fingers, and sighed a huge sigh of relief when it lined up perfectly.
Been there, done that. And yes, I have used the big hammer more than a few times, on more than a couple projects. I was just very pleased with myself for not needing to this time.
Love your updates! Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Thursday, December 15, 2016 - 07:18 am:

Hi Wayne, not having the correct frame I made sure I didn't permanently fix the body to the base. This car has some different dimensional pieces than the previous two Fordors. I ended up using the base off of Ed's car to make the base for this one, knowing I was in for some tweaking. The original crossmember under the back seat riser was much narrower than the other two cars. The rear hatches (battery door) was about a inch wider and the finger hole to lift the battery hatch was also larger than the prior two Fordors. They don't appear to be homemade and look original to the car. Also the rear hatches were straight equal width boards with 9/16" thickness. They do have some fancy dan routered joints which could be linderman but the prior car hatches had angled joints and varied in thickness by 1/16" to 1/8" . Just a few differences one can't help but notice...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, December 15, 2016 - 02:27 pm:

Decades ago I did a 1929 Model A Fordor Blind-back sedan. We found the body, sans ANY body wood (the door wood was intact), but without a dent in it. It's a fairly rare body, although it was a "plain-Jane" body (in 1930 they became a deluxe body--go figure). I set up a frame with my transit so we could build it up level. Fortunately the inside vertical surfaces are straight, so one keeps the angle created by the cowl all along the body and it went together just fine. However, I must have gotten it a little wide (although the top metal fit perfectly), as the headliner cloth was just a tad short at the center pillar. I sewed a 1" strip on both sides to get it in, the seam I created was just at the edge of the headliner and hidden by the side upholstery. WHEW!! Last I knew the car was in Louisville, KY. Getting it there was another story, as the owner insisted we drive it from California to KY with only about 20 miles on the restoration. That trip could be written up in a book like a Patrick McManus book ( Read, "Camping-A Fine and Pleasant Misery" if you haven't read any of his books).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Friday, December 16, 2016 - 04:09 am:

I appreciate the Model T for it individuality. The fact that they weren't stamped from the same mold gives them a special kind of character and each its own restoration challenge. It also allows guys like me to survive a major screw up without much notice. That's a good thing !! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Goddard on Friday, December 16, 2016 - 02:37 pm:

Don, Thank you for getting back to me with all the info.
Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Monday, December 19, 2016 - 10:48 am:

Working on the top wood and doing some truing, screwing and gluing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Ryan on Monday, December 19, 2016 - 05:31 pm:

Looks great. I wish I was that talented.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 05:50 am:

I can't believe that nobody noticed the top slats were off centered to the right....nobody cares~

Here's the done deal, except for the two outside slats. I can't do those until the clamps come off in about a week.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 07:10 am:

Don,

I usually don't comment on someone else's work but your slats are not off to the right...the car is over to the left! :-)

It's winter now you can start anytime on your restoration project.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 07:17 am:

Dennis...you spent a lot of time in the corner of the classroom...didn't you? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 07:38 am:

Yes I did...that and the principals office.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 07:50 am:

Too funny, I too spend a few weeks in detention. Had to "patrol" the grounds for unwanted debris. It was a learning experience though...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glenn French on Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 03:57 pm:

Hi Don,
You sure do beautiful work on the Fordor's. I have a 1926 Fordor. The front door regulators to raise the windows are worn out. I have not been able to find the parts. What do you do to get them in working order?

Thanks,
Glenn

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 05:38 pm:

Have you got a picture of the failed regulator? I have ordered new gears for 2 doors and replaced the broken ones. They take a bit of finagling to make the re-pops work but so far so good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 06:22 pm:

Glenn I've seen 2 different style of regulators on the 3 Fordors I've done. So you need to match the parts up. Also, the Tudor I restored had the same exact regulators as my Fordor but different than this current Fordor. So my point is if you can post a picture it would be helpful ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glenn French on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 12:22 am:

Don, I will pull the door panel and take pictures. I ordered a set of gears from Langs, to see if they will work, but they have been back-ordered for months.
Thanks for the help,
Glenn

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 07:25 am:

Glenn the Fordor Model A regulator has been used as a replacement. They require a very short mounting screw so as to not interfere with the arms.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 11:09 am:

The regulators on this Fordor. If you look at Snyders regulators it looks very much to be the same.

Phone has a crap camera...sorry.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration