Getting the engine out

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Getting the engine out
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH from Houston, TEXAS on Saturday, September 17, 2016 - 01:30 pm:

I am getting frustrated trying to get the engine out of my 24 touring.
There is a bolt on each side of the engine on tip
Top of each pan bracket that seems to go into blocks of wood in the frame with no nuts on the bottom. They turn but dont come out. They cant go through because they would interfere with the bolts that go through sideways, which I have already removed, together with everything else that holds the engine in. I lift the engine and the car comes with it. How do I get those suckers out?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Saturday, September 17, 2016 - 01:38 pm:

Try knocking the block out then you should be able to get an open end wrench on the nut, you may break the block but new ones are available, it may take a heavy hammer and a drift of some kind.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, September 17, 2016 - 01:46 pm:

Here are the steps:
(you've already done 1 & 2)

1 Remove the nut inside the pan ear from the horizontal bolt.

2 Pull the horizontal bolt out of the frame.

3 Remove the wood block.

4 Remove the nut on top of the pan ear from the vertical bolt.

5 Pull the vertical bolt down and out of the frame (it will probably fall out on its own).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, September 17, 2016 - 01:51 pm:

I should have mentioned that the vertical bolt should be installed with the head inside the frame with the block under it and the nut on top. As Rick says, the block may need some persuasion to come out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH from Houston, TEXAS on Saturday, September 17, 2016 - 06:45 pm:

Persuasion it did take.
the bolts had the nut on the bottom and the wiring harness through there too.
I used my pneumatic aviation riveting gun with a long set and finally hot them out. Had to take the starter and steering column off too but the engine is out and hanging from the ceiling waiting for more action tomorrow before it gets too hot.
thanks for the advice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, September 17, 2016 - 09:25 pm:

Good. The wiring harness should not go through there but the fuel line should.
Norm

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration