Does A Wooden Coil Box Exist To Fit These Coils?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Does A Wooden Coil Box Exist To Fit These Coils?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Everett on Saturday, September 17, 2016 - 03:43 pm:

I have ten of the coils like the one pictured. All have been rebuilt and work beautifully.

I would like to have a wooden coil box, but does one exist that these coils will fit into?

They measure 2-1/8" wide x 3-1/4" deep, and 5" to the top of the brass plate, and 6-1/4" overall height to the top of the hex nut that holds the knurled nut in place.

The center of the lower contact is between 1-1/8" - 1-3/8" from the bottom of the coil, depending on the coil.

The center of the upper contact is between 3-11/16" - 3-5/8" from the bottom of the coil, depending on the coil.

The center of the bottom contact is essentially centered on all the coils.

The engine it will be powering is a standard T engine, no high performance components.

Has anyone built a wooden coil box from scratch, or do plans, or possibly kits for a complete coilbox exist?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim on Saturday, September 17, 2016 - 03:47 pm:

Look for a 1911 coilbox - Something makes me think that 09-11 were slightly larger coils....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Saturday, September 17, 2016 - 03:49 pm:

Bill
I'm wondering if they are the same dimensions as Heinz coils. Not home right now so can't check.
A Heinz box is essentially made with dovetail joints at the four corners. The bottoms is set into a groove in all four sides. I can probably post some pictures later

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, September 17, 2016 - 03:54 pm:

http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/C-D.htm#coils

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, September 17, 2016 - 03:57 pm:

Those are 1915 - 1916 brass top coils. The tops probably would have been black anodized originally.

Langs and Chaffins both sell boxes that fit those coils. Dimensionally they are the same as all KW coils from 1913 - 1927.

For example this one is styled like a 1909 - 11 Kingston box:

https://www.modeltford.com/item/5000K.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kirk on Saturday, September 17, 2016 - 05:10 pm:

$195 for a box! I could use that money for a new carburetor.

I would make it myself but that is the way I am.

I had to disassemble mine the other day. One coil was not firing. I pulled out the box to bench test it. At first I thought it was shot but when I jiggled it around it started to work intermediately. Turns out all the box contacts were corroded, cleaned them and they all work. By the way for technology that is over a hundred years old they pack a good jolt, I found out the hard way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, September 17, 2016 - 07:55 pm:

Peter, the corrosion around the strip in the bottom of your coilbox indicates there has been moisture in there. Your best fix is to rebuild the box with a Fun Projects kit which uses modern insulating material instead of the troublesome wooden pieces.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Saturday, September 17, 2016 - 09:43 pm:

I believe the Heinze coils are smaller than the standard KW coils so the brass top coils will not fit in a Heinze wood coil box. The reproduction boxes that are designed to use the later coils are dimensionally larger and look like the Heinze coil boxes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Sunday, September 18, 2016 - 08:34 am:

Royce is correct and I've rebuilt a couple of them myself. Nothing special/odd size wise. Just some genius's idea that adding parts would be an improvement.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, September 18, 2016 - 09:58 am:

The question is, why? What do you plan to use them in? Those coils are not hard to find, and Royce nailed it for you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Sunday, September 18, 2016 - 09:59 am:

Bill.. I apologize for not getting you the information as promised! With work, your email got buried and it slipped my mind.

I used the 5000H box from langs to build my KW box for my 13. For the cherry finish, I bought the cherry stain from Laurel Mountain and cleared it with urethane.

The internal contacts and hardware can be robbed from any pre 26 coil box but if you want to be period correct, you'll need glazed insulators (5005E Langs). Also, the hardware is available in kit form from Langs, 5001CONBQ and 5005S.

For the switch and exterior latches, I bought a KW Master Vibrator on ebay and then top it with a repro switch cover from Langs (4678).

I had to make my own mounting bracket to hold the box a quarter inch off the firewall because good repro are not available that I know of, unless RV Anderson is making them.

Anyway, that is the bulk of it. Good luck with your project, and email if you have any questions. I promise to not forget next time!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration