Eat Crow and like it

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Eat Crow and like it
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Moorehead on Saturday, September 17, 2016 - 04:26 pm:

I recently posted my difficulties in achieving a good neutral on a recent transmission rebuild and received many good suggestions on how to fix the issue. While driving this "favorite" 27 roadster on two recent tours, I made the decision to tear everything apart this winter and see what I did wrong. It was a challenge to drive this past couple of weeks and actually no fun.
However, my bashing of the original Ford clutches was my fault and my insistence that the turbo clutches were the cure all for my woes. After listening to all the appreciated comments from this forum, I felt surely I had to be wrong in my assessment of the problem.
Then comes along Gary Tillstrom, the president of the Tenn T's, who sponsored this last tour and of who we are members. After listening to my continual fussing, he came to the car, looked at the floor board and said he knew how to fix my issue. Long story short, he suggested I bend the clutch pedal and explained why. What the heck: beats the crap out of taking the engine out doing an inspection.
I got time today to bend the pedal toward the rear of the car, which gave a lot of adjustment room for the pedal to go forward when in low. I moved the pedal back about 2", made the adjustments to the high speed linkage and then moved the low pedal adjustment 3 full rounds out or loose. I now have a good neutral, good smooth high speed engagement and all is well. The car is now easy to push when not running and coasts when running, with the e-brake in middle position.
What I do not understand is that we have had this car 10 years. I have had the engine out twice and upon putting everything back together, never had this issue before, using the same engine and transmission.
Bottom line, I now eat crow for insisting that the only clutches to use are turbos and the Ford clutches were not good.
I sincerely appreciate everyone's comments on potential fixes and really say a big thanks to Gary for the diagnosis by just looking at the pedals. I guess I owe him a beer as I no longer have to take an engine out. If you have neutral issues, look at the pedals. It may be your problem. Lesson learned for the day for me!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, September 17, 2016 - 04:41 pm:

Glad you got your problem fixed.

Do you have before and after pictures so that we can calibrate our eyeballs? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Moorehead on Saturday, September 17, 2016 - 05:06 pm:

Should have done that but did not. I bent it back to where there was 1/2" of space between the pedal and the back side of the pedal floor board slot. That made the clutch pedal engage about half way down before adjustment. Now it is about 1" before bottoming out when adjusted to my liking for engagement.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Saturday, September 17, 2016 - 05:06 pm:

Do you have a before and after, so we can maybe see the difference? Powered you able to bend the pedal while in the car, then, with no heat needed?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Moorehead on Saturday, September 17, 2016 - 08:13 pm:

I did heat the pedal. I use brazing torch and heated the area just below the floor board. I laid fire retardant material around heated area and wet rags wrapped around the areas to be heated and bent. Took about 15 minutes to do. Used pipe wrench and big ass crescent wrench. Real easy to do and worked well.
I actually heated and bent the brake pedal as well to make them match and allow for better brake adjustment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom 30 miles N of Memphis TN on Saturday, September 17, 2016 - 09:00 pm:

I'm glad it worked out for you Tom. It was good seeing you again. We all had a great weekend. Thanks to all that made it a good time.

The procedure you did would be a good one for our winter clinic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Moorehead on Saturday, September 17, 2016 - 09:04 pm:

I agree. I might go through and look at the other 3 cars to see how they line up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Plank - Three Way, TN on Saturday, September 17, 2016 - 09:47 pm:

Glad you got your problem fixed. On top of that you had to deal with trailer problems! We did have a great time and it was good seeing you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Moorehead on Sunday, September 18, 2016 - 07:08 am:

At least the trailer issue was only 5 miles down the road. I appreciate all that stopped to help and was fortunate the auto parts stores were open on Sunday. I guess I need to move my bi-annual bearing repack to annual.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration