Anyway I can test wire wheels at home?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Anyway I can test wire wheels at home?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Saturday, September 17, 2016 - 07:02 pm:

A number of people have told me one of my wheels is off and does not run straight. I have another, but I do not know the status of that wheel either. Is there something I can build to check the wire wheels? What have you done? Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Saturday, September 17, 2016 - 07:27 pm:

Bolt it onto a front hub and spin it by hand
How much does it wobble when you do this?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Saturday, September 17, 2016 - 07:35 pm:

On my fender-less speedster I noticed one front wheels had a slight wobble. I fixed the problem by swapping it with a rear wheel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ross Harris on Saturday, September 17, 2016 - 07:58 pm:

How much wobble is ok

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Saturday, September 17, 2016 - 08:19 pm:

I made a wheel stand and I try to get mine to 1/4 inch or less wobble.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Saturday, September 17, 2016 - 08:57 pm:

Gary. I do the same thing.
If I close my eyes the problem does not exist.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Saturday, September 17, 2016 - 11:20 pm:

How do you know if the wobble is the wheel or the hub? How do you check the hub?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Saturday, September 17, 2016 - 11:21 pm:

How do you know if the wobble is the wheel or the hub? How do you just test the hub?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Saturday, September 17, 2016 - 11:29 pm:

A easy way is to try the wheel on both front hubs. Also rotate the way it is located on each hub. If it wobbles the same (or not) it should give you some good indications

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Saturday, September 17, 2016 - 11:37 pm:

I take the hub and wheel to my local tire shop. They change and service a lot of A models tires and brakes. He runs them out on a machine to see if they are straight. Just had him check 2 19 inch wheels i bought for my 30 coupe to have powder coated. Only one was perfect, so it will powder coated. I have four nice powder coated wheels on it now but one has some pitting just trying to get it little better. U all know how that goes. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Sunday, September 18, 2016 - 02:26 am:

I use a rear hub spinning on a greased stub of a rear axle shaft. I filled in the keyway and filed it smooth, but you don't have to do that. I then grab the axle stub in the vice and spin the wheel horizontally. I have checked the run out of the hub with a dial indicator. I has virtually none and this is repeatable every time I use this setup. I have heard the .125" was factory tolerance for a T wire wheel. When I straighten them, I usually stop at .050". I figure that the tire has more run out than that.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration