Transmission n pedal shafts

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Transmission n pedal shafts
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Saturday, September 17, 2016 - 10:26 pm:

Well, I finally got the hogshead pedal shafts holes reamed out for the n over sized shafts. Boy what a pain that was. Did it with a cheap set of readers (only needed one, though) from Harbor Freight. I have the pedal support/cams ground for the O- rings, and wi manually grease the cams.

Should some white lithium or axle grease go on the shafts before assymbly? I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere. I imagine erwin oil splash is probably sufficient.

If there's room, should a washer of some sort between the hogshead and the high/low speed clutch pedal? I will likely leave this pedal shafts without an o-ring under it's notch, as it is n I side through transmission, and no lubrication woukd get to the shaft.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, September 18, 2016 - 09:13 am:

Always oil/grease new dry parts that are made to move before assembly.

Don't know why or where a washer would go?

Easy to add an O ring to the low pedal support inside the hogshead prior to bolting it in just like you do to the reverse and brake pedal supports. I grease the oil rings with silicon paste grease too prior to slipping in the pedal shafts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim on Sunday, September 18, 2016 - 10:16 am:

If the o-ring is doing it's job, no oil will pass it... Grease...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Sunday, September 18, 2016 - 10:49 am:

Dan .... re:
"If there's room, should a washer of some sort between the hogshead and the (base of the)high/low speed clutch pedal?"
Until I pin the inside cam, and see how much horizontal play there is in that clutch pedal shaft (going in and out as the pedal is pressed), I won't know if there's room for a washer there or not. As to 'why' ... it would be to reduce horizontal play, so the inside pedal cam isn't bouncing around on the shaft support cam, so the 2 cams are always against each other.. if this is a good idea or counter productive ... I don't know.

Currently, the outboard end of the high/low speed shaft housing on the hogshead is a bit banged up, but really, no visible form of constant contact against the inside of the pedal base.

I'm probably splitting hairs here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, September 18, 2016 - 11:31 am:

Dennis

The low pedal notch isn't going to bounce against the mating low pedal support as the band ear and band spring are pushing against the boss on the low pedal notch anyway. Adding other pieces to Henry's low pedal design isn't what would make me feel better!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Sunday, September 18, 2016 - 12:01 pm:

Very good! That's water I wanted to hear! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim on Sunday, September 18, 2016 - 02:55 pm:

Maybe this will help? https://youtu.be/kLLDRXxUl3E

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration