Bendix for starter pic

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Bendix for starter pic
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Saturday, September 17, 2016 - 11:15 pm:

I am still new to the model t world and couldn't find a pic on google. I took my leaking Bendix cover off my 26rpm and the two bolts that srcew into the Bendix front and back of the spring were barley had tight. So I tightened them down but do both tabs on the washer under the bolts have to be bent down or just one side. So wondering If anyone has a good pic. Thanks in advance Tim. Just to many 15 hour work days..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, September 17, 2016 - 11:19 pm:

There should be two tabs. One is bent down and fits in the gap in the spring the other is bent up after tightening the bolts. If they are missing one of the tabs they will get loose again. The tab acts as a lock to keep the bolt from turning out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, September 18, 2016 - 06:50 am:

Tim, it pays to keep a few of the lock washers on hand. It does not pay to re-use them. When the tab holding on the bolt flat is bent down again to allow a wrench to be fitted, the lab will often break off when re-bent after tightening the bolt. Even if it does not break, it will be severely weakened, and you don't want it floating around in your engine later on.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Sunday, September 18, 2016 - 07:22 am:

Not the best photo. The far bolt has one tab bent down into the spring - can't see the other tab. Near bolt needs to be turned a bit more for the visible tab to be bent upwards.

Regards,
Garnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By thomas elliott nw pa on Monday, September 19, 2016 - 08:12 pm:

I just dodged a bullet when I had to remove the Bendix cover when replacing the clutch linkage, the bolt to the rear that's in the collar for the key was ready to fall out! the motor has only been started a dozen times or so on a new Bendix, so be sure the lock keys are right! No I don't have any extra lock keys but I will!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Monday, September 19, 2016 - 11:18 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Tuesday, September 27, 2016 - 10:23 pm:

Hi,Tim

It is best not to tighten the starter drive spring down tight with the bolts, one thing that works is a little modern technology on the bolts, I use red loc-tite , a little on clean threads and leave the drive just a little loose, It is much easier on the drive spring. If you tighten it tight, it will fail.
If you are unsure that it is locked it is always best to try it in about 20 minutes.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration