Ford versus Ford Brown headlight rims

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Ford versus Ford Brown headlight rims
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Sunday, September 18, 2016 - 01:51 pm:

This may have been discussed before, but what is the significance of Ford Brown stamped headlight rims? Most rims, especially those nickle plated just are stamped Ford, but some are stamped Ford Brown.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Sunday, September 18, 2016 - 07:26 pm:

Brown was a supplier of lamps and headlights. I have seen plated ones stamped Brown, and unplated brass ones on '15s. Whether the ones on the 15 were newer that someone took the plating off, I don't know.Somebody on here will.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Sunday, September 18, 2016 - 07:50 pm:

I knew John Brown was an early supplier as was E and J. I have also, read that these Ford Brown rims were used on 1915's, but nickle plated? Why? If someone nickle plated some brass 15 rims to use on a 26-27, why do I see so many of them?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, September 19, 2016 - 04:56 am:

I think all nickle plated '26/'27 headlight rims I've seen here in Sweden has been stamped Ford Brown. Likely a supplier.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, September 19, 2016 - 07:14 am:

A couple of observations. Original brass rims for 1915 lights should have the smaller round lens clips. Any rim with the wide clips, designed to stop the H lens from rotating, must date at least after the introduction of the fluted H lens.

I have worked on numerous nickel plated brass rims, including 4 for my new 1925 D and F roadster. All have the wide lens clips and none have Brown or Ford scripts. Perhaps Canadian sourced cars had rims supplied by some supplier other than Brown.I had always put nickel plated brass rims down to 26-7 cars which had the nickel plated radiator shell too.

Allan from down under,.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Monday, September 19, 2016 - 07:50 am:

The 1915 brass headlight rims on our car have a different mark than "Ford" or "Brown". I forget what the designation is but it is quite different. I'll try to post a photo later.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, September 19, 2016 - 09:14 pm:

Allan

Guess that is a Canadian export thing on your nickel plated brass headlamp rims.

My experience in the USA is that finding 'Ford Brown' marked brass nickel plated rims is fairly easy. Have a stack of rims, and two of them are marked that way.

Typical nickel plated brass rims have just a smaller looking Ford script.

Sometimes you run across those early big script, but these are for the early clear round lens, not the 'H' style lens. Clips are for round lens. All steel, not brass or plated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 01:46 am:

I have a steel headlight rim that is marked Ford Brown. It is for the "H" lenses. Dave

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration