What Are These Holes For On My 1914 Firewall?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: What Are These Holes For On My 1914 Firewall?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul jacobs on Sunday, September 18, 2016 - 02:09 pm:

As I'm transferring everything from my original 1914 firewall (actually September of 1913) I noticed 4 holes above where the serial number plate was attached. Is there suppose to be another data plate?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Sunday, September 18, 2016 - 02:19 pm:

Registration holder?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, September 18, 2016 - 02:45 pm:

VMCCA tour plate?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Sunday, September 18, 2016 - 02:49 pm:

Maybe it had a larger 1913 data plate installed for some reason.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Sunday, September 18, 2016 - 02:55 pm:

Royce may be right, i forgot how large some of the early VMCCA dash plates were. Not original, so do not drill those holes in the new dash.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul jacobs on Sunday, September 18, 2016 - 03:04 pm:

Ok, thanks for the info

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Sunday, September 18, 2016 - 04:29 pm:

Paul,

Just an observation but maybe related to your other thread on the speedometer. If the data plate shown above is original to the firewall, the number 644,545 is very high for a 1914 data plate and probably well beyond when Ford had stopped supplying speedometers. Hence, the Special speedometer probably put on that firewall by the dealer.

We have discussed the relationship of those data plate numbers to the engine numbers many times and although they don't match, it seems they are seldom more than 20,000 different than the engine number. If you don't mind sharing your engine number and confirming the data plate number, it may shed some light on the question.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, September 18, 2016 - 04:49 pm:

Actually Ken you have it backwards. Ford solved their speedometer supply problem late in the 1914 model year by expanding suppliers beyond their sole supplier at the beginning of fiscal 1914, which was Stewart & Clark.

Ford invented the concept of interchangeable speedometers that would all use 1:1 drive assemblies that could be swapped and still function, cables that all had the same thread sizes and internal cable connectors, and the speedometers themselves all having identical connections and mounting hole patterns. New suppliers, in addition to Stewart and Clark, were Standard Thermometer, Jones, Sears Cross, and Johns Manville.

The new "Ford Special" speedometers were used from mid 1914 through the end of fiscal year 1915 and into early 1916 model year when they were discontinued for good.

The speedometer in Paul's photo is a late 1914 model year Ford Special, which is entirely appropriate for the serial number in my opinion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul jacobs on Sunday, September 18, 2016 - 06:16 pm:

Royce,
My car was made in late 1913 but since you say the speedometer might have been added later that's probably why it's a Ford special speedo. If there was a factory installed speedometer that came with my car which one should it have been for late 1913?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul jacobs on Sunday, September 18, 2016 - 06:17 pm:

Also, the serial number is 344,545

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Sunday, September 18, 2016 - 07:47 pm:

Paul,

The Stewart Model C was used on cars prior to November 1913. The speedometer in the picture Royce posted on your other thread is a C. They are a 1/2" thinner than the Model 100's. Same Stewart "1913" swivel.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jesse L. Ashcraft on Monday, September 19, 2016 - 10:02 am:

Hi Paul - My 1914 (serial# indicates September 1913 build: 346779) was sold to me with a Sears Cross speedometer instrument and a Stewart gear/swivel drive mechanism (the road gear wasn't installed). They weren't connected and as far as I can tell, Stewart road gears aren't compatible with Sears Cross instruments due to different gearing ratios. So I bought a Ford special gear and swivel for the wheel which should work the Sears Cross instrument. Which system came with the car (if either) is a mystery. Apparently, both were appropriate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, September 19, 2016 - 10:11 am:

Looks like there was a master vibrator there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Monday, September 19, 2016 - 10:28 am:

Jesse,

That Stewart #1913 swivel is not compatible with the Sears Cross speedometer.

The swivel is used with low speed style Steart speedometers as used on the early 1914's. A Stewart Model 100 for example.

The Sears Cross is the finest speedometer available in the T era in my opinion. They are reliable, accurate, and easy to read. That speedometer uses the common direct drive "Ford Special" speedometer drive. Reproductions and original drives and cables are easy to find, call any of the T part dealers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Monday, September 19, 2016 - 10:30 am:

Larry
Interesting thought. Say, have you ever used one? I've thought about trying one with my Heinz coils. I have a couple of them. I suppose I should start a new thread

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jesse L. Ashcraft on Monday, September 19, 2016 - 11:18 am:

>>>That Stewart #1913 swivel is not compatible with the Sears Cross speedometer.<<<

Yeah, I think I'm on the right track unbastardizing this set up. All I need now is the right cable and I'm in.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration