Float set too high?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Float set too high?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Sunday, September 18, 2016 - 02:12 pm:

I think my float could be set too high. No gas leaks when parked but it floods real easy. I had some fuel starvation issues a while back and I set it higher. It was already higher because ethanol ate the shellac off the float so I coated it with pvc pipe glue and I thought I'd set it higher because it was heavier. 4 ball Kingston. Cleaned out the gas tank, no problems. Yesterday I didn't choke it and it fired up on mag 2nd pull. If I choke it sometimes I have to turn the gas off, drain a bit from the carb and open the throttle and then it starts after several pulls then I have to hurry and turn the gas on. I think it's flooding because it has too much gas in the bowl like the old ones without a choke that you push the button to sink the float and get more gas in the bowl.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, September 18, 2016 - 02:50 pm:

There are brass floats that fit your carburetor Corey. I got one on eBay for my 5 ball Kingston. I think it was a Harley Davidson application. Cost about $15. Fixed the problem for me. I think the same float would fit a 4 ball.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Sunday, September 18, 2016 - 03:22 pm:

I'll keep an eye out but what under Harley Davidson do I look under? I went out while ago and started it, same thing no choke, 3 pulls mag. Used to I had to choke it twice then third pull it started unless somebody was watching. If it floods then it wears you out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, September 18, 2016 - 03:34 pm:

Try adjusting the float level down and don't hold the choke closed too long. A lot of times people see gas coming out the carb when trying to start, because they have held the choke closed too long. Are your plugs getting wet or do just have gas coming out the carb?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, September 18, 2016 - 04:14 pm:

Royce, is this the Harley float you bought on Ebay?

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/503773.html?1419301806

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, September 18, 2016 - 04:42 pm:

It's this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Linkert-M-Carburetor-Carb-Brass-Float-Harley-Knucklehead -Panhead-Flathead-Indian-/262426025609?hash=item3d19cf5e89:g:HDcAAOSwubRXLlGm&vx p=mtr

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration