Is The Speedometer Suppose To Be Crooked?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Is The Speedometer Suppose To Be Crooked?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul jacobs on Sunday, September 18, 2016 - 02:33 pm:

I'm transferring everything from my September 1913 original firewall to the new one I've made and noticed that the speedometer was originally put on crooked. Was this because of a careless assembler or did Ford purposely put these on crooked so it lines up when looking at it from the drivers viewpoint? It is defiantly turned clockwise too much to be straight up and down.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, September 18, 2016 - 02:47 pm:

Here's where the speedometer would have been mounted if installed at the factory:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul jacobs on Sunday, September 18, 2016 - 02:51 pm:

Are you saying it could have been added later?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, September 18, 2016 - 02:54 pm:

Paul,

Probably your car was one of the cars that had a $5 rebate due to no speedometer. The speedometer is centered on the hole in the floor boards where the cable goes through. That makes it nearly centered below the windshield clamp. So yes, I imagine that the speedometer had to be added either by the dealer or an owner, because it would not have been mounted there by Ford.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul jacobs on Sunday, September 18, 2016 - 03:27 pm:

Since my floorboard was replaced with an incorrectly made one could someone tell me the position left to right and top to bottom of the top mounting hole? I can figure out the other two if I just had the top one. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, September 19, 2016 - 10:22 am:

The photo Royce posted is correct. Yours is too high. Maybe it was lunch time at the factory that day! Also, the Ford Special you posted is a replacement aftermarket unit for 1914 cars after Ford discontinued installing them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Monday, September 19, 2016 - 10:29 am:

Actually Larry that is not correct. The Ford Specials were used after Ford resumed installing speedometers in late 1914. They were factory equipment through the end of 1915 model year and into early 1916 model year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jesse L. Ashcraft on Monday, September 19, 2016 - 10:54 am:

>>>...could someone tell me the position left to right and top to bottom of the top mounting hole?<<<

From the center of the right lower windshield clamp hole, it's down 1 3/4" then to the left 1 1/4". Just make sure it's centered over the floorboard hole (in my case it was a floorboard slot).

(Message edited by jesselashcraft on September 19, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, September 19, 2016 - 12:09 pm:

Notice the nice red color under the brackets and where the speedo was. Hmmm.
OK, I'm going to come at this with a different angle. Your car has survived 100 years with the speedo in that location. It's part of the history of your car--it's individual history. I would put it back just the way it was--it's a bit of uniqueness that sets your car apart from all the others. Besides, it's a great starting point for a story!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russ Furstnow on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 12:15 pm:

Hi Royce,
Actually, Larry is correct in that the "Ford Special" that is identified here was introduced in March 1914 and is a Model 100. This speedometer was advertised for $12 and was added to the car by a Stewart Warner dealer or the owner. This speedometer was not installed at the factory.

The Model 100 dial face was soon changed to the more common one that has "Model 100" at the top of the dial face. Stewart Warner sequential serial numbers can are used to determine when the unit was produced, and all units with the "Ford Special" name have earlier serial numbers than the units with the "Model 100" name. Since the Model 100 was the least expensive speedometer, I believe that the Ford Special name was deleted so that this speedometer would be mounted on cars other than Fords.

Also, the Model 100 Ford Special speedometer has NOTHING in common with the Ford Motor Company Ford Special that was introduced around August 1914. The Ford Motor Co. Ford Special was installed at the factory as an accessory and was produced by five speedometer manufacturers: Stewart Warner, Standard Thermometer, Sears-Cross, Johns-Manville and Jones.

I hope this helps.
Russ Furstnow

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 02:29 pm:

Russ,

Maybe I misunderstood what Larry said. I thought Larry was saying that Ford quit installing speedometers in 1914, which was not the case.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration