Rear end play

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Rear end play
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tt newbee on Sunday, September 18, 2016 - 04:09 pm:

With TT's rear axle jacked up, when I turn one wheel the other wheel turns in the opposite direction.

When I stop turning one wheel and turn it in the opposite direction, the other wheel does not start turning immediately. Measured at the outside of the tire, there is about 3" of movement on one tire before the other tire begins to turn. Is that a way to determine rear end wear? Is 3" acceptable?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Sunday, September 18, 2016 - 04:11 pm:

Sounds OK to me. In fact, quite good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Sunday, September 18, 2016 - 04:14 pm:

How much up-and-down slop is there in the outside wheel bearings. Don't get in an uproar if there is some.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tt newbee on Sunday, September 18, 2016 - 04:31 pm:

Thanks, I like good news!

These are the rear tires, on spindles with a key. So I did not get to the bearings, and really don't know where they are located. Newbie, remember!

But if I grab the top of the tire and push, and the bottom of the tire and pull, then do the opposite, there is no slop. Is that what you mean?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Sunday, September 18, 2016 - 04:39 pm:

Grab hubcap and lift up and down, obviously with rear end jacked up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tt newbee on Sunday, September 18, 2016 - 05:04 pm:

The right rear has no play.

The left rear goes up and down less than 1/4". I can get an exact measurement if need be.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Sunday, September 18, 2016 - 05:09 pm:

Not necessary. Will run forever with that little bit of play on the left. Grease everything on the truck good. Handier to put modern fittings in, or the grease cups with the fitting hidden inside.Left side may leak a little.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tt newbee on Sunday, September 18, 2016 - 05:11 pm:

Great! Thank you so much.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Trent Boggess on Sunday, September 18, 2016 - 07:55 pm:

While my experience with TT rear axles is limited, I have found that it is the worm roller bearings that are more likely to cause trouble.

There are two, at the front and rear of the worm gear. You can't access the front one without tearing down the entire rear axle assembly, but you can check the condition of the rear worm gear roller bearing. Remove the 4 cap screws that hold the rear worm gear cap in place. Then you will have to remove the large nut, washer, and the thrust bearing to get to the rear worm gear bearing. It is worth checking out. If the roller bearing fails, the pieces can drop down into the differential gear case, causing great mischief.

Respectfully submitted,

Trent Boggess

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration