Hershey SM

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Hershey SM
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Sunday, September 18, 2016 - 05:14 pm:

Got my wagon ready for the swap meet, if anyone spots me, say hello, would love to meet some of you guys

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tt newbee on Sunday, September 18, 2016 - 05:33 pm:

I have never been to Hershey.

Do they have a place for non-vendors to sell model T parts. For example, I have a sediment bowl with 2 broken petcocks. I would like for it to go to a good home. What is the best way to sell that type of thing if I go to Hershey?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, September 18, 2016 - 06:10 pm:

Hershey is great, well worth the trip!

If you only have the one part to dispose of, I suppose you could go as a spectator with the sediment bowl in your bag, and try to sell it to one of the vendors there. You won't get much for it, because what they'll probably do is mark it up a little bit and put it on their table to try and sell at a (slight) profit.

Why don't you take a digital picture of it and post it for sale in the classifieds? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tt newbee on Sunday, September 18, 2016 - 06:43 pm:

I don't know that a sediment bowl that needs total cleaning and new petcocks is worth the cost of shipping. If I go to Hershey, I will take it and take your advice.

But, I recently got new tires for my TT and one of the old rear tires was made in the 90's and looks pretty good except for some minor cracking on the sidewall. NOT a new tire, but probably good for someone who just wants to drive around their farm, light use. Can I write "for sale" on it and roll it around the show? What would be the proper way to get rid of it? Again, I don't think classifieds is the solution as shipping would be a lot and any buyer would want to inspect it.

Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, September 18, 2016 - 06:51 pm:

Do you belong to a local club or have other T hobbyists nearby? Maybe one of them would want your used tire and would be willing to come over and pick it up.

Or maybe advertise it on Craigslist and here on the forum as "no shipping or delivery, pickup only".

Despite the words in the listing, somebody will still probably ask you if you are willing to ship or deliver it. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Sunday, September 18, 2016 - 06:59 pm:

The Hershey swap meet vendors if were in a straight line, the vendor spaces would be on both sides of a road 10 miles long. This is what was in the local newspaper a few years ago. This after you walk a couple miles from the parking lot. :-) Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, September 18, 2016 - 07:05 pm:

Dan has nailed it. Carrying or rolling a tire around the grounds is going to get old real fast!

If you just want to give it away, you could lean it up against the fence in the spectator parking lot and somebody will probably grab it before you get back to your car at the end of the day. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tt newbee on Sunday, September 18, 2016 - 07:08 pm:

If you are at Hershey, look for a rear TT tire with lots of tread and some minor cracks in the sidewall leaning against the fence. There will be a sign on it, "free to good home".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, September 18, 2016 - 07:38 pm:

Now you're getting into the spirit! Hope to see you there (no, I don't need the tire, so it will be somebody else's windfall). :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tt newbee on Sunday, September 18, 2016 - 08:36 pm:

I hate to see anything go to waste, especially when I know someone could use it.
But "swap meet" is a bit of a misnomer isn't it? Or is it synonymous with "vendors only"?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, September 18, 2016 - 09:47 pm:

Yes, I never understood why these events were called swap meets, can anyone enlighten us?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Sunday, September 18, 2016 - 10:42 pm:

Perhaps due to the vendors swapping parts to determine if they can find something better to sell before the gates open?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, September 18, 2016 - 11:48 pm:

If you haven't been, brace yourself for sticker shock. The meet is free, but parking is $12 a day. I park elsewhere and walk in, about a half mile. I'd walk farther than that for $12. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter B. Ratledge on Monday, September 19, 2016 - 08:22 am:

Steve, Why don't you park at one of the Hotel's where the Flea Market Shuttle Bus stops. The bus runs Wed- Sat 8-5 all day long. They stop at all the fields. You just give the driver a donation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wilson, Saint John NB, Canada on Monday, September 19, 2016 - 09:02 am:

Steve, you could also park at the Museum. The shuttle bus goes there as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wilson, Saint John NB, Canada on Monday, September 19, 2016 - 09:11 am:

Mark.They are called swap meets because, like the one here in New Brunswick that started in the 70's, most of these events were started by old car clubs so their members could get together and swap parts for their various projects. My first swap was a pair of 1929 Model A cowl lamps for a rebuilt water pump for my 31 A. Even though most of these events have evolved into more of a flea market, there is still an element of swapping to them. A couple of years ago, I asked one of our vendors if he had a good weekend. His reply was "Great weekend, I sold $1500 worth of parts and bought $2500 worth." Sounds like a swap to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 04:46 pm:

If you park in the hotel or museum parking lots, is there room on the shuttle bus for the stuff that you buy?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 05:46 pm:

Maybe the best $10 I ever spent at Hershey was for this shopping cart.

The wheel hitting my heel shows why I added the handle extension.

With the longer handle I can drag the thing behind me without running over myself.

The whole thing folds up to fit easily in my car.

Traffic isn't allowed in the meet, but late in the day you're permitted to drive in and pick up heavy items. I don't recall what time that is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 05:49 pm:

I have one of those folding carts as well, they are great! I put a couple layers of cardboard in the bottom of mine to keep things from sticking through the bottom and dragging on the ground. Last year I was able to slip a couple of rims over the handle and wheel them back to my car at the end of the day. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Wicker on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 06:55 pm:

I add bungee cords and my newspaper bag to mine.
A box from the liquor store (there heavy duty) fits the buggy perfect.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nicholas Lingg - Tarboro, NC on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 07:10 pm:

Non-Vendor's are not allowed on the Flea Market field's

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tt newbee Thomas R. Hicks Central Va. on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 07:16 pm:

For clarification, if I go to Hershey, I am allowed to take an EMPTY cart or wagon in, and bring it out loaded with whatever I bought.

But, I may not take anything in in the cart, even to sell to a vendor.

Is that correct?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 09:18 pm:

I don't remember seeing any cart police inspecting my cart as I walked in, maybe they did and I didn't notice. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard Tomlinson on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 09:36 pm:

I have taken "core" items (starters, generators, field coils, etc.) into Hershey to a vendor and never had a problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 11:03 pm:

"Non-Vendor's are not allowed on the Flea Market field's"

Unclear. Please explain.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nicholas Lingg - Tarboro, NC on Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 05:17 am:

Should say:
Only Vendor's are allowed to drive onto the Fields!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Carstensen-Trosky Mn. on Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 05:52 am:

Thinking of going. Never been there. Where can I get a map of the grounds? Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nicholas Lingg - Tarboro, NC on Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 07:16 am:

http://hersheyaaca.org/fm_information.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wilson, Saint John NB, Canada on Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 09:03 am:

Doug. The shuttle buses are school buses and there is room behind the rear row of seats that is accessible by opening the rear emergency door. Anything that is too large to hold in your lap or put in an empty seat beside you will usually fit there. The seats may be filled for the early and late day runs but if you have something large you might try a mid day run with possibly fewer passengers. The other alternative, if you have a shopping partner, is to leave your partner at the bus stop with your purchase, take the shuttle back to get your car and then return to pick up your purchase and maybe your partner if you have room. Good luck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 11:05 am:

I see nothing on the AACA website about it, but I was allowed to drive in to pick up a heavy item late in the afternoon. Was that against the rules and the guy at the gate acted on his own? Dunno.

I see the former $12 a day parking is now $15. Wow!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 06:27 pm:

The rules about getting on the fields late in afternoon have changed in the last few years. You did have to leave your drivers license with the gate Nazi. I think the "old Guard" has passed on and the new gen is a little more relaxed about letting people get on to pickup stuff. But, who knows it may be different this year, just depends on who is at the gate. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 07:16 pm:

Dave, thats a good idea ,thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 07:29 pm:

How do they feel about small gas scooters and electric mobility scooters?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 07:56 pm:

Regarding personal mobility devices, scroll down a little less than halfway on this page:

http://www.hersheyaaca.org/fm_faqs.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Danek_ Salem, Mass on Sunday, September 25, 2016 - 05:28 pm:

Doug,

Hope your wagon is ready for heavy hauling! First day of Hershey 2014.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Sunday, September 25, 2016 - 06:13 pm:

Will have a heavy duty Amish built wagon for sale at our space on the chocolate field (CG-74)!

Guaranteed to be able to haul any T part you find (or grandkids).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Sunday, September 25, 2016 - 08:17 pm:

Wow Dan now that's a wagon.
George I have 2 wagons, Ill have a lunch
cooler in one also

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration