30s wire wheels on model T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 30s wire wheels on model T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Kraft on Sunday, September 18, 2016 - 06:05 pm:

My brother has a model A with 30s Kelsey hays wire wheels on it. I really like the look. Have any of you used the model A adapter plates and put these on a T before? I'm curious how it would look. I'm not a purist.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, September 18, 2016 - 06:30 pm:

It's not so much how they will look but how they will steer with the stock steering setup and what ratio rear end you have. The Kelsey type wire wheels are not cheap if they are the bent spoke type. Plenty of people have used the A adapter plates, esp with 21 inch modal A wheels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Kraft on Sunday, September 18, 2016 - 06:33 pm:

I think we have enough of them, but I hadn't considered handling as much as aesthetics, good point.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Sunday, September 18, 2016 - 10:21 pm:

I would say steering is going to be tough with the extra ground contact of the bigger tires. I often wonder about the effect on A's but I think they use a beafier steering box than a T. I don't think I would try that. Even if you can drive it, it is bound to be extra wear and tear on the parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Sunday, September 18, 2016 - 10:32 pm:

Mack. I though the 26-7 21 tires and the Model A 21 tires are the same? Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Sunday, September 18, 2016 - 10:51 pm:

I have done it on two cars.
They both used the same 21" tires the T wheels took.
The A wheels are stronger than T wire wheels.
The first one I sold without a body.
The new owner built a one-man racer body on it and uses the car for historic races.
I did not use adapters.
I redrilled the hubs with a 3/16" spacer between the wheels and the hubs.
The adapters did not look good on a car without fenders as they were easily seen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Monday, September 19, 2016 - 05:20 am:

Looks are one thing...handling another. I rode in a '27 with "A" wheels and the rear wanted to wander all over with 4 people in it. The "A" wheels will not seat properly on the adapters and will flex. They are designed for the outer rim of bolt flange to seat on the brake drum and with adapters, they will not, allowing the wheels to flex. There will, undoubtedly, be folks that chime in and say it's just wonderful with "A" wheels, but it's really not. It will handle oddly with a load.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Monday, September 19, 2016 - 10:21 pm:

Mine were on speedsters. I did not have that problem.
I can see where that could be a problem with a little more weight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Monday, September 19, 2016 - 11:41 pm:

Scott I think the op was talking about later wires than A's. Not 100% sure

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration