Driveshaft question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Driveshaft question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Sunday, September 18, 2016 - 07:26 pm:

I have a used driveshaft that is nice and straight, and in good condition at both ends. But the rough "shank" area between the two finished ends had some surface rust. So I sand blasted the rusted area (protected both ends).

Now I have a nice, clean driveshaft that's not ready to go into the car quite yet. Ready to start rusting all over again if I don't protect it.

What is the best practice to protect the shaft from rust? I'm assuming that it will stay well oily once installed, but in the meantime do people just spray them with something like LPS-3 or do they prime them with some sort of paint product ?

Thank you,

Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Sunday, September 18, 2016 - 07:38 pm:

Rub on a little grease, that should do it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, September 18, 2016 - 07:41 pm:

If you're worried about a mess with the grease, or the grease picking up dirt and dust over time, just wrap the greased driveshaft with plastic wrap. The plastic wrap will stick to the grease. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Sunday, September 18, 2016 - 08:29 pm:

I spray the center section with Electrical varnish. It will last forever.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 01:39 pm:

Just because you have it on hand I think - yes LPS 3 will work fine too. I spray it on a lot of things that I don't want to rust anytime soon. If small I put the part then in a plastic bag but you could wrap the shaft in wax paper or any kind of freezer paper that has a waxy side to it. That will keep it from getting grease onto things. Once in the car the motor oil leaking past the top bushing will keep it from rusting. Most model T stuff survives to this day BECAUSE of the oil leaks ha ha.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration