By the numbers

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: By the numbers
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH from Houston, TEXAS on Sunday, September 18, 2016 - 10:53 pm:

I just finished replacing the clutch and spring on my 1924 model T.
Now I am stuck waiting on gaskets for the pan and the hogshead. While I had the engine out, I did a little scraping and managed to get the numbers off the engine, 61173306 and wondered if this engine is the original engine. All my model T books are not here so it could be a time before I can check the birthdate.
I also found that the internal oil line seems to make contact with one of the rod caps and has a wear spot on it. Almost a hole. I will have to try pushing it around a bit to avoid further contact. Otherwise everything looks very clean and shiny. It has dippers installed, the magneto coils look solid, the spring needed changing and the screws in the clutch fingers are all the way out and hard to get the cotter keys in. The bolts of the pressure plate were not safety wired and were not that tight either. Now they are torqued and safety wired. Quite a weekend.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, September 18, 2016 - 11:40 pm:

No, it's not the original engine. Ford sold replacement engines and blocks. The engines came with serial numbers, but the unfinished blocks didn't. They were to be stamped with the number of the engine they were replacing, but that didn't always happen. Sometimes folks made up their own numbers. 61173306 would have to be one of those. Ford didn't make 61 million Model T engines. A 1924 Model year serial number would start with 8, 9, or 10.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration