Let's talk generators

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Let's talk generators
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Leffler on Monday, September 19, 2016 - 06:09 am:

While checking my charging system, I find that with a didgital meter I have 2.8 volts on the generator side of the cut out . Is this good? Should I have more, because on battery side I have 6.7 volts. Is this charging or am I missing something?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, September 19, 2016 - 06:29 am:

At what rpm? It could be normal to have just 2.8 volts from the generator at idle, but at higher rpms it should go higher so it opens the cut out and charges against the battery voltage, raising it slightly.

If it doesn't go much higher with the rpm there's something wrong inside the generator and it'll need some service.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Monday, September 19, 2016 - 09:42 am:

I tested my generator output with a digital meter as well and got some wacky numbers. Then john Regan reminded me that with all the RFI coming from the magneto, it would cause problems with the accurate readings of digital meters. I borrowed a good analog one and the readings were well within normal then.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Monday, September 19, 2016 - 11:23 am:

As Kevin points out, you are missing something. Cheap digital voltmeter are really messed up by all the RF coming out of the generator (and the coil) so use an analog (analogue) meter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 10:20 am:

What problem is your charging system having that is causing you to be checking it? Does the ammeter show a charge at least part of the time while you are running? If your car is equipped with a Voltage Regulator rather than cutout then you will not be able to make any "sense" out of measurement of the generator post with any meter at all and that is OK because you can find out everything you need to know by measuring the OUTPUT side of the VR with an analog type meter. Don't start fixing something that isn't broke.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration