2nd "What's it"

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 2nd "What's it"
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim on Monday, September 19, 2016 - 11:47 am:

I have added a super easy "What's it" to my website.

It was in the same box with the first one and since I could not find a lick of paint on it for the original color, I painted it gold and bronze.

I would like to have some fun with this one, you older guys probably know what this is. I want to see posts from the guys that are purely guessing.

http://www.tfoye.com/whatsit.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, September 19, 2016 - 11:55 am:

Valve grinder.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Monday, September 19, 2016 - 12:05 pm:

I don't know what it is. It appears to be a 'wrench' to a plug or cap that needs this special 'key'

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, September 19, 2016 - 12:05 pm:

The long handle allows the swing of the crank to be above the cowl which alleviates interference from the firewall when grinding the rear most valves.

Note where I circled in red - I believe he is grinding the valves:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shawn Hayward on Monday, September 19, 2016 - 12:15 pm:

I didn't know they made these ,
I made my own years ago, but mine fit into a battery drill, (lazy)
thinking of them now I lent them out 4 years ago,
will have to call and find out where they are

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim on Monday, September 19, 2016 - 12:18 pm:

Thanks for keeping it fun Erik...

"I would like to have some fun with this one, you older guys probably know what this is. I want to see posts from the guys that are purely guessing. "

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 02:06 am:

Shawn, I don't think using a drill is a very good way to grind valves. They should be ground by going "back and forth" a few times, then go"forth, forth" (for lack of a better term), then "back and forth" again. This method as used with a suction cup hand grinder. Repeat as necessary. At least that is the way I was taught over 50 years ago and the way the old valve grinder hand operated machines work. JMHO Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 07:30 am:

David, that's true but how can lapping valves for the final finish by Shawns method be any different than sycro seating with a stone? been doing over head valves like that for more than 45 years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 11:21 am:

i still wish they would move that dam ford so i could see what is behind it. charley

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration