AutoZone Muffler for Model T I think it looks good but purists might not like it

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: AutoZone Muffler for Model T I think it looks good but purists might not like it
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kirk on Monday, September 19, 2016 - 12:13 pm:

I needed a muffler, I bought the take apart one sold by Lang’s only to blow it apart because I wanted to try the fuel pump that came with the car, BIG mistake. I guess it pushed too much fuel into the exhaust. Put the one that came with the car back on, but it needed to be replaced. Out of curiosity I looked on AutoZone for mufflers and found this one.

http://www.autozone.com/emission-control-and-exhaust/muffler/walker-soundfx-muffler/284629_610141_25138/?fromString=search&make=&model=&year=&checkfit=true

At $35 it was worth a try. It needed a couple of adapters to go from 1½” to 2" pipe, cut off the hanger on the muffler and modified a hanger to use the existing bolt mount. You have to offset it to mount it because of the larger diameter. The bracket at the back is not part of the muffler. It works great and looks good, to me, and sounds great, again to me. It's meant for a Ford Tempo so it is a Ford muffler so at least that part is right.

muffmuff

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Monday, September 19, 2016 - 12:35 pm:

Looks OK to me. It is just a muffler. Might suggest getting a tractor muffler for in the future. They are round instead of oval.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, September 19, 2016 - 12:56 pm:

Tractor Supply sells replacement mufflers for Ford 8N and/or 9N tractors. They've worked well for me,......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, September 19, 2016 - 12:58 pm:

Lang's has a welded together version also since it's so easy to blow up the take apart version:
https://www.modeltford.com/item/4025BW.aspx

The most common reason to get an exhaust bang is to flip from "bat" to "mag" slow at too high speed of the engine - then too much unburned gas gets into the exhaust. Switch fast with the engine at idle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Monday, September 19, 2016 - 01:04 pm:

Muffler? Model T's have a muffler?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, September 19, 2016 - 06:17 pm:

That's a close enough muffler for me. Ford tractor mufflers work ok to.

Wonder what a Smitty's glass pack muffler would sound like on a T. Some of those are pretty close to a T muffler. Always wondered about that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Monday, September 19, 2016 - 06:29 pm:

What's it sound like? Any difference?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, September 19, 2016 - 08:05 pm:

I have always liked the particular "ring" that the sound of a Model A exhaust always has. For some reason, the Model T does not have that particular ringing sound. I wonder if anyone has ever adapted a stock tapered Model A muffler to a Model T, like on a speedster for example. I wonder if the Model T engine would produce that same ringing sound with the Model A muffler??? Obviously, a "purist" I am not, within reason of course, however, I don't think a Model A muffler on a T is too drastic of a deviation. Anyway, anybody ever tried this? If so, what's it sound like,.....???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 09:33 am:

FYI -- The Ford tractor muffler sold by Tractor Supply and many other farm stores is part number FO-11. The cost is about $18-20, depending upon the store. I've been using those for many years and like them a lot. They are 1-1/2" inlet and outlet like a T and there is no modification required to use them on a T, just a generic hanger for the back end of it which you can bolt into an existing hole in your frame.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 10:18 am:

There is room for everyone in this hobby. For me, I like original mufflers, and that is why I reproduced the 21-27 exhaust pipes, for those who really care. I haven't had one complaint, and the best part is when you're done you have the real thing. I had 50 of them made, and they all sold within one month. If you look hard enough, original muffler ends are still out there. I got a sample from Gaslight, and theirs is almost impossible to tell from the original.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 10:48 am:

I am going to go the opposite direct of Harold ... While the A sound is cute ...
it sounds like an A !

Me no likum A's (as compared to 25 and earlier T's) and love the more bubbly,
rattly sound of a T, just because of what it is.

Someone has been driving a Model A coupe around my neighborhood, and it
is a delight to hear and see it coming down my street. It would be a double-extra
delight if it was a T (or any earlier car) though. Call me a snob, but I like that old
rattling can of marbles sound of earlier cars. :-)

My question is, how much of that sound is the muffler, as opposed to the engine
making the noise ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 03:33 pm:

Mufflers and exhaust systems are a multi-million dollar enterprise for a reason.
A good system can make a pipsqueak of an engine sound like a monster....... :-O

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration