Took her out to stretch her legs.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Took her out to stretch her legs.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bourgeois on Monday, September 19, 2016 - 09:43 pm:

The T is scheduled to go on a tour starting next Tuesday. I have a couple of hills that I have been going back and forth trying to learn the spark and throttle positions. Every run has been an improvement. On the way back I was actually gaining speed going up the hill and on the flat got her up to 45 MPH(thank you to Tom Tom). My turn started to come up really fast and so I pushed both leavers up to start slowing down. I made the turn and the T started to run really rough.
I was able to limp it back to the house, gave her about a 45 minute rest. She started up and went around the block fine.
My question is what damage could I have done to the T? What should I be checking? This close to the tour I really am trying to learn how to drive and donít want to beak anything.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, September 19, 2016 - 10:25 pm:

Did you leave the spark up?? That would cause that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bourgeois on Monday, September 19, 2016 - 10:54 pm:

During my panic of getting her back home I might not have brought the spark down far enough.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Monday, September 19, 2016 - 11:38 pm:

And, don't retard spark with engine running at high RPM. All this accomplishes is blowing a firestorm past your valves out the exhaust.Bad.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 02:37 pm:

I slow the car down by using the gas lever only.
Every T is a little different about spark lever location.
I have 3 T's and they seen to run the best between 1/3 to 1/2 way down. Depending on which car of course.
Yes I know there are pictures and diagrams about spark and gas lever locations but for most T's finding the sweet spot for spark location is usually no further down than halfway.
Others will probably have different ideas but my cars seem to run their best in the positions described.
Leave you spark in that general location and slow and speed up the car with the gas lever.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration