Gas HeadLight Lenses

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Gas HeadLight Lenses
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ronald Naab on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 12:18 am:

what type of glass is used for gas head light lenses and who sells it

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 10:02 am:

You can use regular plate glass from your local glass shop. You don't need heat-resistant stuff; if the lamps are functioning properly the lens never gets that hot. Just bring them the rim and let them cut the circles to fit. You don't want a tight fit; you'll need about 1/32" clearance all around the edges. Original lenses are a tad (about 1/64") under the 3/16" thickness that modern glass comes in; depending on your rim, it may or may not be a problem. I suggest you bring your retaining snap ring to the shop and make sure it will fit in the groove after the lens is installed. I have repop rims made by a couple of different manufacturers; the new 3/16" thick lens fit fine in one of them but in the other, the same glass was too thick and the snap ring wouldn't fit into the groove. On that one I ended up using an excellent original lens. I suspect that the rim that took the new lens OK was purposely designed for the thicker glass, and the other rim exactly duplicated the original. The only difference is that the snap ring groove is moved slightly closer to the lamp body for the "thick glass" lenses. Sorry for the long post; I just did a set of Victor Model 2s and all this is fresh in my stale mind.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 03:17 pm:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1908-1914-Ford-Model-T-Headlight-Lens-Thin-8-125-/252487 258670?hash=item3ac969d22e:g:dwMAAOSwARZXokQn&vxp=mtr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ronald Naab on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 11:26 pm:

thanks for the reply

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration