What have you done? September 2016

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: What have you done? September 2016
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 10:25 am:

I don't believe I've seen one of these for September, so here we go.

This morning I finished up my home made AC brake pedal. With blasting and painting it will be ready to install. I had to work from a photo, not a drawing, but I think I got it about right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 11:21 am:

Pedal looks good. Lots of stuff like that is fun to make and you save money. I finally got mine all painted so I've just been puttering around. Need to do a little better on the hood but I had enough paint left for one coat so I sprayed it. Good for now anyway. Gotta save up for upholstery.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 11:54 am:

Good job Steve. That is a nice alternative.
I was looking for the September addition a few days ago and couldn't find it. Now I forgot what I did.
Oh Well.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 12:09 pm:

Corey,
What a neat T road to drive on....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 02:46 pm:

Decided to wrestle off a decades old tire carcass from a rim. Hoping the rim was good to use for a new Wards Riverside tire.

Got out the trusty clincher rim tool and gloves.

The old tire was tough. Had to resort to the big TT tire tool and a couple more for max. leverage.

That helped.

All off. Rim was good, so a quick coat of alum. paint, and on with a new tube, and tire. Mounted tire from behind, and front of rim paint preserved. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 05:21 pm:

Painted the chassis, pulled wood from
drivers side in one piece

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 05:24 pm:

Rewooded the drivers side
Made patch panel for lower drivers front

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 05:32 pm:

Took a 79 mile drive in Pete with a friend who can't drive anymore. Had a great ride.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 05:52 pm:

Putting a new rear end and suspension in the Wild Cherry II racer for the hill climb on Saturday. Another bucket full of cash sacrificed to the racing gods. Trying to get hooked up off the line, we were losing time roasting the tires. Some of the model A guys are getting a little testy about getting beat by T power.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 07:19 pm:

I'm building a WW-I Light Patrol Car for the Military Aviation Museum in VA Beach. They already have a Hucks Starter Truck and an Ambulance I built for them. (Gus Bryngelsen built the Ambulance body.)

So far, I've got it sitting on its own four feet. Chassis is all rebuilt to this point.

lpc

lpc2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 09:11 pm:

I hesitate to post this because some folks will say I'm wasting my time and money, but here goes...

I took a chance and bought a pair of demountable rims with worn out tires on them for $30.00 at Homecoming this year. When I got them home and dismounted the tires, I found that the edges of the rims were too sharp to trust.

I could have possibly just filed the edges back, but I decided to try the "rim savers" rings that are available in Australia to repair sharp rims. I bought ten of the "rim saver" rings:

rims01

rims02

I got the two rims back from the blaster today and installed a pair of the "rim savers" onto one of the rims. I was told that the Aussies actually GLUE the rings onto the rim, but I decided to tack weld them every two inches or so with my 110 volt Mig using flux coated wire (I'm not a very good welder, as you can see).

rims03

rims04

I may add some additional tack welds later, but even with these few tacks, the rings are solidly attached to the rims. Feeling around inside the rims, the surface is very smooth. I still have to dress off the welds and do some filling and priming prior to painting, but so far it looks encouraging (to me, anyway). :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Purgert on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 09:44 pm:

September has been a very good month so far! I had a few of the local club members over to help reset the timing. While they were there, turns out there was a crack in the head.

Another club member had an extra head at his house. While waiting for a new head gasket, I fixed a leak caused by a broken inspection cover bolt. Got the new head gasket so I was able to install the head with a friend of mine.

After that, we put on a new exhaust manifold and completed the radiator replacement from a month ago with a gull wing moto-meter.

Head Removed
Torquing the head
Moto-Meter

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 09:47 pm:

Steve, great welding job on that brake pedal! If you drop a band spring inside the transmission while you're swapping the pedal out, just PM me and I'll tell you how I got the one that I dropped back out... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Beatty _Kansas City on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 10:25 pm:

Well today I found the bolts for my drive shaft spool! I was pretty happy about that! :-) Sorry no pictures!... :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Blanchard on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 10:35 pm:

Apart from finding time to work on the T's carb and fuel system I have been building this:

It is a Sandolo Burannello (Venice workman boat)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 12:11 am:

I finally got the bows finished for my touring car and took the touring car down to Elizabeth from Ham Lake tonight to have her put a top on it for me. I've been waiting for a chance to do this for 5 years. I'm just now to the point where I've rebuilt the running gear and it's time to make it a complete car. It's a very exciting time for me. I'm also going to order side curtains and a top boot from Clastique. There's still plenty to do on it and I doubt I'll ever get it done but this really is a big step for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 08:18 am:

I just finished building a 24x24 addition on my shop that will serve as work space, allowing the 30x40 main building be converted into an "old Ford garage" type of display.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnCodman on Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 10:01 am:

No Big projects. I tried to overhaul the non-original aaoogah horn, but the motor just wouldn't turn fast enough, so I purchased a replica of the original "strangled goose" type from Lang's and installed it. At some point I may try to find an electric motor repair shop and see if they can do anything with the horn that I removed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 11:08 am:

Restored two H-1 Holleys to go to Australia in time for the tour, a Stromberg OX-2 to Spain, a Stomberg OS-2 to England, 3 or 4 Stromberg OF's for the US and a Kingston 4 ball. Worked on the brakes on my CJ2A -- replacing every cylinder, every line, all the shoes, etc., worked on the seats in the CJ2A, went to a bunch of high school girls volleyball to watch Savanna play and spent too much time on here. The carbs barely made the mail so no pics of the H-1's. They were gorgeous -- PIA to work on but gorgeous. Did take a couple pics of the CJ seats.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 11:21 am:

I gave my friend 1/2 a touring body 5 years ago to build a speedster but he gave it back so I'm going to try to figure out how and where to mount it today. He cut some pieces off and I don't know why but it's pretty flimsy. I just needed the cowl anyway so I can get it to work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 11:43 am:

Corey you're going to need a nice, long V-radiator to mirror the way your frame comes together at the front...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 12:05 pm:

Got a clear California title for our 1913 project Mountain Wagon much the same as Terry Horlicks "Toady".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 09:02 pm:

The easiest way for me to pull the engine from this car is to remove a few body-to-frame bolts, lift the body, and set it on a pair of 2 x 4 blocks. That lets the pan ears slide forward on the frame rails with no trouble. I got that far today, and tomorrow the engine comes out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 09:07 pm:

No pictures but I continue to work on Carl my 1911 touring. Goal is to have it DMV ready by the end of September, not sure if I'm going to make it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bryan Ostergren on Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 11:08 pm:

I've been on the road in the T. Started on the 12th in Maplewood, MN on the north side of St.Paul. I'm following as best I can the route that my grandfather, Ben, and his brother Herb drove in Grandpa's 15 T runabout in 1916. St. Paul through Chicago; South Bend and Fort Wayne, IN; Lima, OH; Pittsburgh; Gettysburg; D.C.; Philly; New york City; Albany; Buffalo; Cleveland; Detroit and Muskegon, MI; Milwaukee and home. Took a side trip south from Fort Wayne to see Jay and Barbara Klehfoth, then into Kentucky to see my very good friends the Bud Scudder family. Heading back towards Fort Wayne tomorrow morning to get back on the trail.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 11:24 pm:

I love that, especially the shot of the horse looking back at the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Lovejoy, So Cal on Thursday, September 22, 2016 - 10:31 pm:

What an neat trip Bryan, great shot's. I have been working on my TT, it's legal now and insured. I want to have those old gas,oil, water cans and a luggage rack on it, also back fenders. So I am trying to adapt a set of badly rusted touring fenders I got cheap + long running boards, to fit it all. I am no welder, but I weld. Have had a well tough time, first time trying to weld sheet metal, kept blowing holes in it. But I kind of like the way it is coming out. Going to be rough - but that is my plan for the whole TT - kind of rough. Just hope it well run good. adapting fenders

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Lovejoy, So Cal on Thursday, September 22, 2016 - 10:35 pm:

could only seem to load 1 photo, trying again figured it out :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Friday, September 23, 2016 - 01:32 pm:

Went on a two day Canadian American Model T run around the Spokane area, roughly 180 miles. Had a great time with the Inland Empire Model T's as our hosts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7Xr0pew-88&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Wbazw7RK6Y&feature=youtu.be

There are 2 YouTube videos taken by one of the participants.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, September 23, 2016 - 02:39 pm:

John - Gotta' say, Mike Robison did a nice job on those two videos,....almost makes ya' feel like having been there! Thanks Mike if you're reading this! Seems that every year, there's some reason I don't make the CanAm Tour, but so help me, next year I'm gonna' try to make it! It's a shame that both days were not like the first one,....which certainly was more typical of September!

Getting back to what have I done "T-wise", well, I finally got the wheel bearing issue resolved on my little Model T utility trailer which Bob McDonald built to the match the little '23 Roadster Pickup, both of which I bought at the late Bob McDonald's estate sale last year,....um,.....or maybe it was the year before,....can't remember for sure,.....time all runs together when you're retired! Anyway, as beautifully as the little roadster pickup and matching trailer are built, I gotta' say, the wheel issue on the little trailer was kind of a problem. Looks to me like Bob built the little trailer out of just whatever parts he had laying around after many years of all his "projects". At the estate sale where I bought the pickup & trailer, the trailer was "disassembled" to some degree, and believe it or not, the wheels and hubs & bearings were in a pile of other old used tires and stuff that was being sold by the folks that ran the estate sale. They didn't even know that "THOSE" wheels/hubs were actually part of the trailer! Anyway, I did manage to get "MOST" of the parts, and the wheel/hub/wheel bearing issue is really not typical of the quality of work Bob McDonald usually did. The two '26-'27 Model T wire wheels were (are) welded to earlier Model T wooden wheel hubs! No wheel lugs & lug nuts at all! Weird, huh? I'd never want to drive a Model T with such a cobbled-up setup, but on this little trailer, I guess it's O.K., except that if I ever have a flat tire on the trailer, it'll be a bit of an "issue" to deal with it I suppose.

Anyway, except for mess'n with some problems with my one Model A among my five "T's,...(which nobody wants to hear about I'm sure) that's my answer to this thread titled,..."What Have You Done?" .....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, September 23, 2016 - 02:51 pm:

By the way, for those who did not know Bob McDonald, he lived in Federal Way, WA. and was very active on the forum, especially in the area of Model T Ford snowmobiles and their construction and history. Besides the obvious loss in Bob's passing, he is certainly a great loss to all of us who knew him here locally in the PNW and also on this forum, especially in the area of snowmobiles,.....R.I.P. Bob!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Dillinger - Charlotte, MI on Friday, September 23, 2016 - 03:44 pm:

Getting ready to drop the body back on my '26 and, hopefully, drive her along some back roads before the snow flies. Probably will skip doing the upholstery until winter, just get out and drive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, September 24, 2016 - 07:54 pm:

Just got home from a great afternoon at a friends "block party", per their request we took the 1915 Touring. When we got ready to leave the hostess thanked us over and over, and said how the car was the highlight of the day. Took tons of folks for rides, from 8 y.o. to 80 year olds! All had smiles on their faces and laughs galore. Dang this car drives smooth and quiet. Even the guests said the same thing. Trouble is I need to sell her to ease the space squeeze and relieve myself of maintenance work. 4 cars is turning out to be too much!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Yoder, Iowa City IA. on Saturday, September 24, 2016 - 10:42 pm:

Drove to Utah drove the UTBDR then Home. Did some mods to my 25 roadster PU. Auxiliary gas tank,& Shepard wagon tailgate with heater.Now it is time for a test drive to Hershey.
s

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Danek_ Salem, Mass on Sunday, September 25, 2016 - 05:55 pm:

The Salem Maritime National Historic Site celebrated 100 years of national parks yesterday with a car show. It was asked if one could dress in period clothing or somehow relate to the national parks. Took this model t ad off the den wall and replicated the scene at the show. At least I had the oldest car at the show.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, September 25, 2016 - 06:11 pm:

I took Betsy, my 1924 cut-off touring car, to a show at the local college near Hillsboro, MO. Betsy was the oldest car there and got first prize in her class (because she was the only car in her class). :-)

pic2

pic1

pic3

pic4

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, September 25, 2016 - 10:38 pm:

After being too busy working on the house recently, on this rainy day I got back to Model T stuff in the shop. One little job was filing a rough clutch drum.

Seeing this plug, it's surprising the car didn't leave a big trail of oil running down the road.

I finished pulling the engine out of the runabout for some work.

Meanwhile, in Tulsa...

Mike was boring the block for my touring...

...and installing the crank.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Monday, September 26, 2016 - 12:03 am:

Today started with some frustration as I had to cut some shim material to fit later coils into my new repo coil box for the 11. I've been working on this coil box for a couple of weeks now and it's getting old. Perseverance paid off, shims work fine and after test fitting them I found that tongue depressor we had work the best.

Then it's back to the rear axle to fit new brakes on Carl, luckily this went well. Next week I hope to change all tires and tubes out to new.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, September 26, 2016 - 01:08 am:

Not much going on with the T. Just racing the rain and snow to get the new 2nd floor
weathered in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Monday, September 26, 2016 - 01:32 am:

WOW Steve !! The new crank of choice . That thing is going to be smooth. What kind of cam ??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Dillinger - Charlotte, MI on Monday, September 26, 2016 - 09:39 am:

I dropped the body back on the '26 yesterday (had my father-in-law paint it for me at his shop). We lifted it up with the loader tractor and slapped it down onto the already-assembled body. I just had to install the steering column afterwards. I imagine this was very similar to the way it was done by Ford originally (though I believe the upholstery was already completed when the body was installed).

I hooked up the fuel lines, the wiring harness, etc. and had the newly rebuilt engine humming along beautifully. The timing needs a little work to jive with the newly-installed control levers but no big deal. Now to fit then paint the hood.

Zach

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, September 26, 2016 - 10:20 am:

I've been out driving my primitive pickup :-)
There are swap meets within a 65 mile radius every Saturday in September and the weather has been nice. Just a few T parts found, though..

Here's a driveby from a gravel road out in the woods last Saturday:

www.goo.gl/WZe4aF

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, September 26, 2016 - 10:31 am:

Great video! Looks like it's being put to good use. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lester in Floyd, VA on Monday, September 26, 2016 - 10:35 am:

Zachary; I'm going to have to put all new wood an my '19 touring, and some previous owner took the wood all out and either threw it away or lost it, so I'm going to have to kind of invent it. Would appreciate any pics you have of your wood installation process. I don't want to buy a kit because I enjoy woodworking.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Dillinger - Charlotte, MI on Monday, September 26, 2016 - 11:04 am:

Lester, I assume you just mean the seat structure wood since the '26 has hardly any wood in it (compared to your '19 anyway). I didn't take pictures, just worked it out as a I went (I'm a professional woodworker so it was pretty much second nature). The hardest part is just getting a picture of an original to work from and building it up from there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Monday, September 26, 2016 - 03:34 pm:

As far as T's go I've been doing a good bit of drawing/planning and finally sourced a part I've been looking for for a very long time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ralph Fitz-Gerald on Monday, September 26, 2016 - 09:46 pm:

Started to polish the brass on our 15 touring car for my daughter wedding this weekend.
Fitz

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration