1 pesky coil

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 1 pesky coil
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 12:31 pm:

I've had these rebuilt coils for a pretty good while so I'm sure they need a tune up. I got a miss so I hooked up a battery so I could check it out. One coil won't buzz on battery. It won't fire on mag at idle but speed it up a little and it sparks just not as robust as the others. Since it's messed up any way I fiddled with it. No matter how I adjust it it's the same. I got free starts over and over unless the motor stops on that one coil. It's the coil because no matter where I swap it to same thing. I don't know how to work on coils but maybe it only needs points and set up on an HCCT? Once you are in high gear and accelerate it kicks in and all is good but not good if you start and stop a lot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 12:35 pm:

Corey,

Maybe you need to trade it in for a rebuilt one? Ron Patterson or Brent Mize are some of the best.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 04:41 pm:

The only adjustments are current draw and cushion spring tensioning. These two adjustments should be done on an ECCT after they've been re-capped properly - all four coils. Then you know you have four correctly set coils.

Regards,
Garnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 05:03 pm:

That battery buzz box can tell you the coil is bad, but it cannot tell you if the coil is good.

If there is no buzz, the coil is bad, case closed for the buzz box diagnosis.

That is the limit of any useful data from the buzz box.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 07:35 pm:

I just got in from work, turned switch to bat and I pulled twice and it started. Still no spark on number 2. Left it idling switched to mag and got a spark. I'll send those coils for a tune up I've had them a while. I put the battery on to check those coils, I thought the mag could be weak. I never charged those magnets, I put a rebuilt field coil but the mag seems to be fine. I guess it's good for now. If I can find an analog volt meter I can test it I guess. Battery isn't too great, it wouldn't start my 04 Cavalier anymore. But the 3 coils buzz like crazy.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration