How is it possible that a tube that leaked in the tire now has no leak

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: How is it possible that a tube that leaked in the tire now has no leak
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kirk on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 01:54 pm:

I got a flat the other day. As I put the air in it came right out of a rivet that mounts the wood to the rim.
I finally got the tube out filled it with air and there is no leak. Filled it some more, still no leak, filled it until it was twice the size it would ever be, still no leak. Filled it until I was afraid it would burst and still no leak. Held it underwater and there is no leak.
It has been filled for over a half an hour and it has not lost air.
What the H is going?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 01:57 pm:

I had one like that - try wiggling the stem while it is under water, I'll bet you'll see a leak where the stem is (supposedly) bonded to the tube.

When the tire was mounted, there was a slight side load on the stem that opened the leak. With the tube out, the side load was removed and the leak sealed up. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tt newbee Thomas R. Hicks Central Va. on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 01:57 pm:

Valve?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 02:09 pm:

Porous tube; high pressure leak,perhaps

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kirk on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 02:18 pm:

I just sprayed it with soapy water no leaks. I moved the valve in every direction pulled it pushed it to the point that it started getting a little perverted, no leaks. I stretched the tube in all directions, no problem.
It has been patched four time and they are fine. Other than one small spot that has cracks it looks fine. It was not leaking from the valve because as I was putting air in it was coming out

If someone gave me this tube as a spare and I did not know it came from a flat tire I would not hesitate using it.
If it was not for the effort I would put it back in but I have ordered a new one.

This is just crazy, if it was a slow leak I could understand but it did not hold air.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 02:19 pm:

You can fill it to the point of bursting and it still won't show more than a few pounds when you put a gauge on it because you just keep increasing the volume of the tube as it stretches. I've had tubes with gashes that I've thrown on the floor and they still look to be inflated days later. A tube with a few pounds in it vs. one with 60 lbs. in it is a completely different animal. As stated above, you need to dunk it in water and start poking on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 02:26 pm:

Peter-the small spot where it has cracks is opening up under high pressure. Put a patch on that spot and see what it does. The voice of one that has been there

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 02:28 pm:

And by see what it does I mean put it back in a tire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 03:42 pm:

NO no guys I won a bet at the tire shop with this one.

The air that was escaping is simply the air that gets trapped in between the tube and the rim when you start filling the tube with pressure.

Been there before with air coming out around the valve stem area but later found out no leaking tube. Fill your tire up and forget it. Check it in a couple days and you'll have the same pressure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kirk on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 03:44 pm:

But the tire did not fill up

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris, Huntington Beach California on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 03:52 pm:

I had this happen with our 15 Touring on the Bakersfield tour a few years ago. The tire kept going flat. We pumped it up at every stop. I put two bottles of Slime in it and it still leaked. Got home & pulled the tube. No leaks under soapy water. Put it all back together & it hasn't leaked for about two years. All I can guess is that the Schrader valve was somehow defective/dirty/stuck? By taking it out & putting it back in, it fixed the problem. Try a new Schrader valve. It might be the problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kirk on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 03:56 pm:

The tube has been filled for hours. I have inflated it even more, the tire fits inside it. The one spot that looks cracked does not leak.

I have to say this is very frustrating and strange.

tubtube

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tt newbee Thomas R. Hicks Central Va. on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 04:00 pm:

I have had leaks in tubes years ago (not in a T), and I never found one that was self-repairing. Either they leak or they don't have a leak. But I have had a number of valves that would work, then not work, then work again when I ran air through them.

Try replacing the valve if you want to use the tube.

You are trying to save a tube that has cracks in it? Aren't you just asking for more trouble down the road? For my money, and for the time and aggravation of an old tube with a leak, I would throw the tube away and get a new one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 04:11 pm:

Gene nailed it. Air trapped between the tube and wheel rim.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kirk on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 04:14 pm:

I don't plan on using it again it's that I never thought i would not find a leak.
It's my curious nature that makes me want to understand why I can't find a leak especially since the tire did not hold air

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 04:39 pm:

Walter H. answered it above:

"...A tube with a few pounds in it vs. one with 60 lbs. in it is a completely different animal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 08:31 pm:

Peter, it leaks only when confined in a tire and under pressure.In the great scheme of things, this is not uncommon. Jim out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 08:41 pm:

HOLY CRAP is that tube puffed up huge!! I can't believe it didn't explode. I did have a similar issue with my r.f. tire on the '13. Kept losing 20+ lbs. of air overnight. soaped up around the hole where the stem comes through, and bubbles galore. Figured crap, gonna have to pull the tire. Tried one more "fill up" and next day virtually no loss. I check this tire at least 3 times a week, and even all last winter, never lost more than 5 lbs. at a given time. Who knows what's going on but I'm leaving that sleeping dog lay!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 09:07 pm:

Here is a possibility. Air trapped between the tube and the rim. Are you using a flap? If so, maybe air trapped between the tube and the flap. when you pumped up the tire the pressure was 60 lbs, but slowly the trapped air came out and lowered the tire pressure. So maybe you don't have a leak in the tube.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 09:15 pm:

I had a model A wheel leak under pressure that was new but on the shelf for some time. It leaked on the rim but no signs when the tube was out. I got mad trashed it bought a new one and it's not went flat again. Just what happened to me.. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kirk on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 09:35 pm:

Mystery solved
I put the tube back in the tire wrapped the tire with rope to keep it from expanding got it up to 20 pounds it held for a while then it started leaking from a patch. The same patch that held when it was 5 times it original size

So Walter is right

"...A tube with a few pounds in it vs. one with 60 lbs. in it is a completely different animal.

In this case it took 20 lbs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 09:41 pm:

Glad that's settled, the suspense was killing me! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond on Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 05:36 am:

When all else fails watch the wife....maybe she's letting the air out to keep you busy!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 06:29 pm:

Back when I was a kid, we used to get our "swimming tubes" from the local gas station/garage. He would keep the tubes for us that had "high pressure leaks". He had a "tube cage" that he used to pressurize the tubes with and check for "high pressure leaks" With the "tube cage" he could put 20-30 psi in the tube and check it under water. As Walter said, Its a "totally different animal" One of his tubes with a "high pressure leak" in it would air up to twice its normal size and stay aired up for days without going down. Great for "swimming tubes" but not good for on the car. When he closed his shop down back in the late 1980s I asked him if he would sell me the "tube cage" He said I was probably the only person in our area that even knew what it was, and probably the only one who even cared. He gave it to me. I still have it and use it often.. Here is a picture of my "tube cage"

(Message edited by dobro1956 on September 21, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 08:37 pm:

That's really cool, Donnie !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 10:53 pm:

You would think that the "tube cages" would be a fairly common item. It would be something almost every tire shop or garage could use, espically back when tubes were common. But mine and one other "tube cage" I saw at a swap meet, is all I have ever seen ...

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration